Just broken a law supposedly CTPS

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by APC Nexday Overnite Ltd, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kate1

kate1 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,650 244
    More factors
    Contact rates

On holiday, in a meeting, off sick, call back -its not call rate or duration its contact rate. Out of those 20/25 calls you may only have 6 conversations. So its nothing to do with duration

Posted: Aug 21, 2011 By: kate1 Member since: Oct 29, 2007
  2. telemax

telemax UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,295 732
    Telesales/marketing whatever you want to call it is rubbish if you've got no persistance, shy about talking to people. scared of being rejected etc.

Posted: Aug 21, 2011 By: telemax Member since: Feb 14, 2006
  3. saxondale

saxondale Banned

3,742 612
    ah, figures at last, thank you - see it wasnt that hard was it, so "maybe" a 1 in 5 chance of speaking to someone, so how many of the "maybe" 6 conversations would you say lasted more than 10 seconds

heres some stats from my office re incoming calls

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    number of incoming calls July - 312

number of incoming calls unanswered July - 12

number of unanswered calls not returned and closed july - 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

not hard now, is it

Posted: Aug 21, 2011 By: saxondale Member since: Jul 23, 2008
  4. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    Possibly not .Been doing freelance sales, running teams for corporates and private companies and my own company for 30+ years and never needed to pander to these silly questions. I simply cannot remember a rude response from anyone but then we dont call the one man banders.

Can you EVER get to the point ?

Are you incapable of researching your own arguments ?

I am quite happy for you to burn all us salespeople but how will you do it ? Everyone in business is in sales...except you it seems and a few other malcontents on here who by deduction should not be having any clients who are in sales.

Just for the hell of it can you give me any figures on anything ?

Posted: Aug 21, 2011 By: captaincloser Member since: Mar 20, 2010
  5. saxondale

saxondale Banned

3,742 612
    I`ve been giving figures all the way through the thread - come on Mr CC where did you get your figure that

70% of all .................

use telesales.

figures and a source or you are going to look very silly, but if you do post it then I will say you do know your industry quite well.

6. kate1

1,650 244
    So rather than calls answered etc, is there figures on conversion rates? As I think thats really far more important not how many calls are incoming. If you have already put the conversion rates excuse me.

7. LicensedToTrade

LicensedToTrade UKBF Legend Free Member

6,330 2,143
    Yes it was quite embarrassing actually, and an opportunity for me to learn something about myself. I was actually banned for behaving very much like you have been in this thread.

I was only banned for a month but it was enough for me to realise that getting into arguments with no end in sight was a waste of time for all involved and so this is where I leave this thread.

Kate, thank-you for the offer to PM you. Once I've walked the dogs I'll be in touch with you :)

Posted: Aug 21, 2011 By: LicensedToTrade Member since: Nov 7, 2009
  8. kate1

1,650 244
    Have you ever trialled or outsourced sales~? I couldn't say how it would work in your industry as I have no experience of it, you would have trial it to find out, unless you can get hold of somebody who has experience in doing sales calls in your field. Providing you stats on an industry which is not the same is yours, is not going to be relevant thats what I keep trying to explain. So what works for my WC's may not be the same figures for your industry

9. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    Selling is NOT an industry..its a proccess in business. I cannot give an exact figure on how many times that has been posted for you to read but what part don't you understand ?

Sales is used within all businesses it is NOT an industry itself.

<<Comments removed by mod>>

10. kate1

1,650 244
    I write for the WCBO (window cleaner business owner in the states)

I can only say the following is how I get on and my advice in this industry and how telesales is only part of the bigger picture.

Hope that helps

Depending on a cleaning company’s preferences and setup, commercial contracts may be the Holy Grail for some folk. No more waiting for Mrs Bennett to remember to pay you the seven quid she still owes you and no more dealing with the hungry Rottie left parked in the back garden. Of course, if Mrs Bennett also owns a company as well, you're still in the do-do's!

So, how to attract commercial contracts? A well designed website is always a good start though pretty useless on its own to attract new business. Without successful SEO implementation, the site will remain off the radar. Links, articles, blogs and other social networking all help but need constant attention to keep yourselves bouncing up to the top of listing pages. Websites should be viewed as part of the bigger marketing objective.

Word of mouth will rarely work on the commercial side of the things as most will be perfectly happy to leave their competitors squandering in the dirt, smugly waving from their squeaky clean premises. Business is harsh – harsh but fair! Well-designed, sign-written vans may help, sandwich-boarding the chaps from across the road!

Flyers, either leaflet dropped or emailed may be successful if you're lucky, but how do you know that they've reached the decision makers? As we all know, most end up in the bin or are directed to trash via the delete button or spam filter. All in all, this method lacks the control of getting past the receptionists’ wicket keepers gloves!

Cold calling is another route but again needs a good pair of Nike's to swerve past the receptionists attention only to find that the decision maker is in another bloody meeting. Also, with the price of petrol nowadays, a Segway or an electric Noddy car is a necessity!

So now we get to telemarketing, many of the problems apparent in the above are still there, it is just a question of damage limitation. Due to cheaper telephone services and without the need for Nike's (slippers will do) or even navigating a Segway over a kerbstone, telemarketing provides a relatively efficient method of marketing.

The downside of telemarketing is the cost of TPS and TPCS laws, unfortunately it is illegal to pick the Yellow Pages up and call prospects, willy-nilly. Companies can be fined £5000 for calling companies that have opted out of unsolicited sales calls. The process of acquiring TPS checked phone numbers is relatively simple and there are several companies providing this service – at a price, though deals are available dependent on demand.

The advantages of contact via phone over the routes mentioned above is a question of control. The ability of the telemarketer to get past the first line of defence ie the receptionist is the first hurdle. Armed, only with a headset and slippers (flip flops will do) there is an improved chance that the defences can be breached in order to speak with the decision maker. If the decision maker is unavailable, telemarketers can then find an appropriate time to call back - the lead is not dead. This, in effect, is a direct improvement on the “straight to bin, trash or spam phenomenon”.

Another advantage is the ability to create an on-going database of clients’ requirements. Companies contracted to specific cleaners may reveal details of the current contract allowing you to “stick your nose in” at a time close to contract closure.

Cloud computing has also helped the telemarketers, especially if there are more than one person working for a client. Document sharing and the ability to update instantly simplifies the process by removing the need to work off multiple records. The client can also monitor the progress of the campaign as it happens and keep a check on how fast the flip flops are spinning.

A well designed PDF flyer raises the stakes even more for the telemarketer when dealing with bosses who are too busy or too far into their second sandwich. At least the info is reaching the target audience.

All in all, telemarketing offers an accurate record of a campaigns progress and can be referenced for future marketing strategies.

11. saxondale

saxondale Banned

3,742 612
    70% of all companies and councils use telesales - I think thats what you said.

are you backpeddling now and saying 70% of all companies use sales? I should have thought it was nearer 100%

yes, your looking silly.

12. saxondale

saxondale Banned

3,742 612

Kate, if someone rings me up offering telesales I ask them "whats your average call duration" and they give me a figure.

if someone rings me for a system quite often a question is "how long does it take you to get an engineer to my alarm if it goes off" and I give them an answer - around 34 minutes.

So why can you not give a straight answer?

13. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    Sorry can you answer the question about the telesales industry you constantly refer to ?? Can you do that ?

Any chance of a rational answer also to the Kate1 post above or can we expect another of your Herculian one liners.

<<Comments removed by mod>>

14. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,706 720
    And you believe the answer you are given :eek:

The call duration will be as long as it takes to get a sale, or for the recipient to end the call.

There are a lot of silly personal comments being made on this thread.

Telesales are an essential part of a company's marketing options. If you don't want to talk to a sales person then ask up front "Is this a sales call?". If the answer is yes, politely end the call... simple.

If you don't want people phoning you, don't have a phone. Also simple ;)

Posted: Aug 21, 2011 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  15. saxondale

saxondale Banned

3,742 612
    of course not - I then ask for more information

yes, hence its a pretty good indicator.

i believe he`s taken his dog out so we`ll get a rest from them for a while

no it isnt, I believe the last figure posted was 70% OF ALL COMPANIES USE IT - THEY DONT

have you not even read the thread title - I have opted out of taking sales call, you ring me I will make you cry, it really is that simple now.

16. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    My dog has the misfortune (possibly) to have been in a sales office all his life but has yet to pick up the 'dog and bone' himself.He is probably on your side of the fence on this one..

... In all other respects he is a pretty well adjusted border terrier. Chases cold callers at the door which will impress you I am sure...:)

17. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    Excellent post,

I cannot remember anyone in 30 years being as rude as people on here say they are to callers but as I say we never approach one man banders who are in the domestic service/business market.

18. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,426 1,769

It's irrelevant because it talks about the TPS and CTPS

Posted: Aug 21, 2011 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  19. kate1

1,650 244
    You said "only every 28 days", "you suggest I go and read up", thats what I have done and posted what I originally quoted. Can you tell me why you said "only every 28 days, and I need to research on that. Im only answering the question that you asked me?

20. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    I am currently rather hoping it could be you. I didnt say they were not doing a job. Just giving ou information about my dog not me ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.