Just broken a law supposedly CTPS

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by APC Nexday Overnite Ltd, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. APC Nexday Overnite Ltd

APC Nexday Overnite Ltd UKBF Newcomer Full Member

284 39
    Ok, I may be thick and not know a lot but I've just been shouted and had the phone slammed down on me. I got "this telephone number is registered with the corporate telephone preference service (CTPS) you are breaking the law".

Unwittingly I may have, after looking online, and I didn't mean to I found the said company online and nowhere did it say "registered with the CTPS" so am I in the wrong? I've genuinely never come across this before.

Does anyone know anything about this who can educate me? Also seeing as it's free to register to this CTPS is it also free to check businesses? I will be doing if so as I don't want to get in trouble and exactly what trouble would I get in?

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 By: APC Nexday Overnite Ltd Member since: Nov 17, 2008
  2. paultnl

paultnl UKBF Newcomer Full Member

840 176
    Unsolicited calls can be very annoying so it is best to follow the rules.
    This is from http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/docume...orporate_telephone_preference_service_gpn.pdf

If you want to make unsolicited direct marketing telephone calls to companies, you
    should screen the list of numbers you want to call against the list of telephone
    numbers registered with the CTPS. If you want to make unsolicited direct marketing
    telephone calls to sole traders or partnerships you should also screen against the list
    of numbers registered with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS), as these​
    organisations may have registered as individuals.

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 By: paultnl Member since: Jan 23, 2009
  3. mit74

mit74 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,429 444
    my home and company are both registered but it doesn't stop any company ringing. What company is going to check the millions on the list if it's not enforced?

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 By: mit74 Member since: Jun 4, 2010
  4. APC Nexday Overnite Ltd

284 39
    Thanks Paultnl

I've read on the website you have to provide details and telephone numbers to them. Have you personally tried this? Is it a quick process?

Do you not agree also that these companies if advertising their company online should have to put "Registered with the CTPS" it would make things a lot easier!

5. JElder

JElder UKBF Ace Free Member

1,142 192
    If you are making any unsolicited calls, it is your responsibility to screen all the numbers against the TPS and CTPS lists.

This is a list of numbers that have said they do not want these calls. There are commercial services that allow you to screen one number at a timeor a list (like an excel spreadsheet). You will have to pay for this.

Calling a number listed is a potential problem: fines of up to £5000 per offence, but it is rarely enforced.

Basically, it means that you cannot just call from the phone book - you need to note all the companies you want to call, screen them for CTPS and then call the ones that are left.

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 By: JElder Member since: Jul 2, 2008
  6. APC Nexday Overnite Ltd

284 39

I'm now going to add this to my list of "stuff that gets in the way/red tape/ ball ache" I suppose I'm glad I've had the heads up now though rather than getting a £5k fine.

This should be fun now though instead of just ringing a potential customer I'll have to note down their number and then run it by the TPS who will get back to me when they want and then I will be able to call that potential customer. Should boost sales this :/ (sarcasm)

7. JElder

JElder UKBF Ace Free Member

1,142 192
    Totally agree - it's a stupid bit of legislation. I can see the argument for consumer TPS, but for a business....

They have their number listed in Yell, of their site, on their brochure, on the front of the shop - but you can't call it. The costs to large businesses are small, as they have alternative means - large advertising campaigns, etc, but for a small business the phone is often the most cost effective way to advertise.

Can you imagine if EVERYONE was on CTPS.

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 By: JElder Member since: Jul 2, 2008
  8. paultnl

paultnl UKBF Newcomer Full Member

840 176
    Anyone who has gone to the bother of registering thier number is NEVER going to buy from an unsolicited call and will more likely to spread negative comments.

TPS/CTPS exists to save both your and the users time.

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 By: paultnl Member since: Jan 23, 2009
  9. APC Nexday Overnite Ltd

284 39
    I disagree with this comment if at the very minimum I have made only 3 cold calls a day (it's more than that) for the last year (252 days) this would equal 756 calls if you then x4 (the amount of years I've doing this) 3024 call!!!!! this has been the only one(or the only one that has bothered to say they were registered with the CTPS).

I don't think I would of been able to make all those calls should I endlessly be submitting lists to the TPS.

10. GreatSEO

GreatSEO UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,571 371
    Posted: Aug 16, 2011 By: GreatSEO Member since: Mar 20, 2006
  11. APC Nexday Overnite Ltd

284 39
    I wouldn't be in sales! It would be pointless

12. APC Nexday Overnite Ltd

284 39

thanks for that, awaiting my confirmation email!

13. mhall

mhall UKBF Ace Free Member

2,522 1,120

My idea of heaven

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 By: mhall Member since: Sep 8, 2009
  14. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Legend Free Member

13,112 3,369
    The person taking the call in the OP got it all wrong.
    When I get these calls,I establish the name of the company and the name of the caller,then inform them they are breaking the law by calling me.

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  15. APC Nexday Overnite Ltd

284 39
    If i do it now although I have a brilliant tool from Great Seo. I'm a prat and deserve to have the book thrown at me.. you could say im intentionally then breaking the law, but before today I really just didn't know.

If I was a big company with a huge call centre I'd deserve to have the £5k fine smashed in my face as I'm calling from a small company I'd hope I'd get off with a slapped wrist first time offence (should that man report me).

16. GreatSEO

GreatSEO UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,571 371
    To be honest in all the years that I have been in telemarketing (11) I have only ever witnessed 1 case that has been actioned against a company.

I think it just gives people the ability to scream at you "do you know I am on the TPS"

What is that the Telephone Prankme Service?

:)

Dave

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 By: GreatSEO Member since: Mar 20, 2006
  17. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    To the OP, are you the only one who doesn't get these type of calls? We get several every day despite being registered with the TPS and they tie up our only telephone line which our customers need to get through to us on. They also waste a fair bit of staff time.

Now I don't even mind if the calls are directly relevant to our business and we did have one from a courier company which we were happy to take as we were actually looking for a new courier then.

But most of the calls are totally random and have nothing to do with our business. The people making them have done no research on us. We are an internet company but we get people asking us if we'd ever considered having a website. Or asking us to advertise somewhere totally inappropriate. These calls are extremely annoying.

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  18. KateCB

KateCB UKBF Ace Free Member

2,258 534
    We are registered, but it doesn't stop them calling - out staff now cut off obviously commercial calls by interrupting with 'Did you wish to palce an order today? - when they say No, our staff say ' well, this is the order line - commercial enquiries must be by mail or email - I can give you the email address?

Works well most of the time, sometimes they ask to be put through to the marketing or procurement department, but we just re-iterate that commercial enquiries must be by mail or email - they get fed up and usually put the phone down, which is fine, it allows our line to be freed up for as far as I am concerned more profitable calls!

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 By: KateCB Member since: May 11, 2006
  19. mhall

mhall UKBF Ace Free Member

2,522 1,120
    My top hates:

1. Electric Commission agents claiming they want to register your meter - they all want shooting
    2. Do you have a web site?
    3. Do you want a reduction in Rates ?
    4 "Can I just ask a question...." then goes into a rehearsed sales pitch
    5. "Can you just tell me if your electrical plugs have a sticker on them"
    6. "Can I speak to the person who deals with......" (doesn't matter what it is, trust me, they are out)
    7. Those silent automated systems, especially the ones that don't hang up

They all tie up the line that we use to take credit card payments. If I want something I will find it and ring you at my convenience. I NEVER buy from a phone call and will avoid any company that tries to cold call me.

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 By: mhall Member since: Sep 8, 2009
  20. APC Nexday Overnite Ltd

284 39
    Deniser we get more than our fair share normally it's "we need to urgently speak to your director with regards employment law as you may be breaking the law" we get loads and they're annoying. Worse still recorded messages then a "press 1 to hear more".

I'm not condoning them type of phonecalls whatsoever I simply introduce myself, our company name and say along the lines of "i was wondering if you use parcel carriers and if we could be of use to yourselves" it's either a yes or no question or they'll put me through to the relevant department and I'm not pushy I won't badger someone (probably to my downfall).

If everyone called like I did and kept it simple I'd welcome twice the amount of calls. We actually have people "Can I speak to the director it's of a private and confidential nature" - that's disgusting in my books I'd never do that and they're normally the pointless phonecalls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.