Is wordpress Free?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by brava101, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuno

Nuno UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,783 1,607
    Nothing is free. As a businessperson you should cost your time into climbing the learning curve of using Wordpress and compare it to both the cost of having it done for you and the likely revenue generated. Your posts indicate the learning curve may be a long one.

Moonfruit sites are not free. Have you ever wondered how much more you could have earnt in the years you stuck with Moonfruit if you had used a more upscale solution?

I realize money is tight and needs must, but you should be aware of the costs involved.

Posted: Oct 15, 2012 By: Nuno Member since: Oct 10, 2011
  2. brava101

brava101 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

33 0
    hi

thank you for all advices, but i really think that if i put my head into it i could be good at it in a month time, and with all the free time i have i can manage to do that, and then i could create other websites for other products i would like to sell and wont need the help of a webdesigner,
    with the little busines i was doing, moonfruit has done the job for me, and it was osting me £35 a year at first so it is like hosting prices and now that i have moe websites and need more space they charging a max of £60 a year so it is allright
    now i wanna go bigger and i m taking a bluehost and wordpress and i m gonna have a great website going online soon :)

Posted: Oct 16, 2012 By: brava101 Member since: Jul 25, 2012
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,912 9,057
    You do realise that bluehost is based in the USA. Which means no UK support. Cheap is not the same a good. You are going to struggle to set up the site you want and will get frustrated by the limitations of the hosting account. But it's your site, we can only advise.

Posted: Oct 16, 2012 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. brava101

33 0
    yeah but i just had a question about the payment and they opened a chat room in seconds and helped me with that, and wordpress is recomanding them and they are only 3.95$ a month..isnt that a good deal? do they really have to be in the uk to offer support, everything is done online what kind of innexisting support do you mean?

5. ITsoldUK

ITsoldUK UKBF Newcomer Full Member

2,221 666
    That is excellent news.

Makes me wonder why I wasted 3 years of my life to get a degree in WD now...when all I needed was a month.

As above, it is your site and I appreciate funds are tight but my philosophy has always been get it done right first time.

Remember, as an ecommerce venture or indeed any website business, if you lose a customer due to a poor impression they will be gone for good.

I wish you all the best and hope it works out for you.

Posted: Oct 16, 2012 By: ITsoldUK Member since: Sep 15, 2011
  6. ITsoldUK

2,221 666
    One example springs to mind.

I developed a theme and with the new extensions that were built it would not run due to an old version of php being ran.

I spoke to my host, they moved my sites to a new server with the latest php on board.

Will you get that for $3.95? ;)

I reiterate I wish you all the best.

7. brava101

33 0
    i dont know i paid £30 for more than 5 years with moonfruit and i never had a problem!
    you must have learned a lot of things to set up some really complecated websites in the 3 years of study..All i need a simple website with many informations pages like 20 all in all and only 2 products to sell, i just need it to be working right on mobile devices like iphones and ipads as on moonfruit it does not work right yet..they are working on it but they taking too long, and i need a shopping cart, but it s a real basic website that s why i only need a month.
    you probably can apply for jobs and in big companies and can set up the website i am trying to set up in a month in only 2 or 3 days..so dont wonder why you have been studying 3 years ;)

8. brava101

33 0
    so tell me what do you use as hosting in the uk?
    how much do u pay/

9. ITsoldUK

2,221 666
    No matter how big or small the website or indeed the number of products you sell. The one key factor is that the principles remain the same. You are alluding to a responsive design for example.
    Nope, I like to work pour moi only. ;)

Yes, I can set up a site in under 1 hour BUT will it be ready to go live? Nope, that takes time, planning and implementation.

I am not knocking you for having a go, do not think that. I just don't want to to spend a month on something and then it falls over. You cannot get that month back can you.

10. brava101

33 0
    i read on some forums and they said bluehost are good support and they are in the USA and most of my customers are in usa and france too I will get a better usa Google ranking on my affiliate blogs than if my sites were in the UK.

11. ITsoldUK

2,221 666
    I host myself on a VPS but my service provider is Host-It.

My price is custom as I have been with them for eons but you can get some very good priced packages here.

12. brava101

33 0
    I checked the link host it and they have a plan for £2.24 do you think that would be good for 2 or 3 websites in 3 langues that only sell 2 products each?
    I mainly sell in the usa and France so for google ranking would that be ok?

13. ITsoldUK

2,221 666
    That is per site/domain name, scroll down there are more details on that page.

One site and the language issues would be fine but this entry level comes without a db so WP would not work.

This pack would suit you better but that is one site only again. So for 3 domains it would be 3 x 6.99

They do multi site packs so have a peek.

14. brava101

33 0
    now i am getting friends telling me that with my lack of knowledge, i should nt be spending money on a hosting and time on setting up a website with owrdpress, but they advise me to just go on an ecommerce platform that will host it for me, give me support a shoping cart ebverything and they advised me to take 1&1 ecommerce solutions, for £6 a month first year then £12/mo after ...it seems a good deal..??

15. Nuno

Nuno UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,783 1,607
    Sorry, what am I missing? £20.97 a month for 3 domains, (or even £22.46 a month for 10 domains on a package deal) seems expensive to me. £251.64 and £269.52 respectively? For sites selling two products each?
    Blige.

Posted: Oct 16, 2012 By: Nuno Member since: Oct 10, 2011
  16. fisicx

30,912 9,057
    STOP!

You are bouncing around all over the place. You have two products. You do not need an ecommerce site. You need some decent hosting with someone who can help you set up the website. If you think you are going to get good support for a few dollars per month then you are sadly mistaken. You keep looking for cheap solutions. If that is your only criteria then stick with wix.

1&1 is rubbish. Don't go anywhere near them.

17. ITsoldUK

2,221 666
    Options, that is what I was giving him. That is all...

I was NOT recommending he uses them, I said have a look...(peek) if you go back further you will spot that I have told him to checkout vidahost and openmind along with a free plugin ecwid etc earlier on.

I appreciate you think it is expensive but it is a fraction of what I pay and have done for years without complaint or recourse for failed support when needed.

To reiterate my earlier point, you can go cheap OR you can go good ;) depends on your needs, skills and plans.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  18. ITsoldUK

2,221 666
    You have gone a little awry old boy.

Stop and go back a bit. You don't need a full blown cart at this stage.

You want to do things for next to nothing and for 2 products why not start as we stated earlier on.

And I echo the 1&1 comments...poor, very very poor when things go wrong :rolleyes:

19. brava101

33 0
    :( I m lost

20. fisicx

30,912 9,057
    Which is why people pay someone to do it for them. In the same way I pay someone to service my car and fix the boiler.

If you really want to make money to need to invest some dosh. Go to the bank and take out a loan. Pay someone to build you a site and you could be making money in a few days.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.