Is wordpress Free?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by brava101, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brava101

brava101 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

33 0
    Is there any Ecommerce free on wordpress?
    As when i created my account on wordpress and went on the menu on the right to create an ecommerce it gave me the option to pay minimum 99$ for the package..in that case it is not completly free, is it? am i on the wrong page?

Posted: Oct 9, 2012 By: brava101 Member since: Jul 25, 2012
  2. british steve

british steve UKBF Ace Free Member

1,486 303
    Wordpess do offer a free version but you would be better off finding a cheap webhost to host your own WP on your own domain. You could try Vidahost, they have some real cheap hosting packages and wordpress is a one click install.

Look out for FAEVILANGEL, he is a member on these forums and wordpress expert!!!!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
    Posted: Oct 9, 2012 By: british steve Member since: Oct 1, 2009
  3. Faevilangel

Faevilangel Website Critic Full Member

7,564 2,404
    Thanks Steve ;)

As Steve said, you need to use Wordpress.org and not wordpress.com if you want to run an ecommerce store (even though I don't recommend it).

This is because the functionality isn't core WordPress features so would require a plugin to add the functionality.

Any decent web host should be able to offer a install of WP on their servers, for around £20-£40 a year.

Posted: Oct 9, 2012 By: Faevilangel Member since: Jun 29, 2009
  4. PointandStare

PointandStare UKBF Newcomer Free Member

940 192
    You're probably talking about wordpress.com and not .org

wordpress.com - free, hosted set-up with premium add-ons.
    wordpress.org - free self-hosted version that you download and install on your own server.

If you're looking to open a shop on WP, take a look at Jigoshop and Woocommerce.

Posted: Oct 9, 2012 By: PointandStare Member since: Apr 20, 2008
  5. Faevilangel

7,564 2,404
    Noooooooooooooo, WP and ecommerce don't mix.. Use a proper ecommerce provider.

WP is friggin brilliant at being a CMS but pants as a ecommerce site

6. british steve

1,486 303
    I have to agree 100% with the above. We have tried mixing Ecommerce and Wordpress together. Completely **** end result. Also by the time you have brought all the plugin exstensions needed to make your site look like your site its cheaper to use a proper hosted store or open source cart software.

WP commerce sites on the whole look crap!

7. PointandStare

940 192
    I love the way you're blaming the tool.
    Each to their own but it's not what you use, it's how you use it.

Take a look at the woocommerce or jigoshop showcases for how to do it properly.

8. Faevilangel

7,564 2,404
    Still pants lee, all ecommerce on wp is. It's not core wp code, which means you need to rely on the developer to male the code secure and updated.

Use wp for it's strengths, and run an ecom site on a dedicated ecom platform.

9. british steve

1,486 303
    Indeed. Just take a look at the Jigoshop Demo! It screams quality. NOT

http://demo.jigoshop.com/

Then look at all the prices for the Woocommerce plugins - that you have to buy in order to brand your site. better offer using better system to start with. Wordpress is fantastic - we have over 30 sites running on it and not a single WP store

The two WP commerce examples given here are both rubbish, i would never use either of them - both crap

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  10. PointandStare

940 192
    And you know this from building how many WP based and/or ecommerce sites?

Seriously, I'm not getting into a pissing competition but the OP asked for clarification and I gave it. Whether you, me or anyone should go that route is entirely down to them and their imagination and skillset.

11. brava101

33 0
    :D[:D:D
    I did not understand a thing in what you guys are talking about!!!
    I have been creating websites with other platforms like moonfruits for 10 years for absolutely free ..i mean i just have to pay for domain name and 50$ a year for extra websites and pages and it has been so simple and easy and then i get advised to use wordpress for better performance websites and all i hear is hosting, woocommerce jynks, plugging ..self pluggig, self hosting....and more more words that i dont understand and that is making me think i either leave my websites as they are or just pay sitewizard to make me a website for fuking £900 :eek::mad::|

Posted: Oct 10, 2012 By: brava101 Member since: Jul 25, 2012
  12. PointandStare

940 192
    No Steve, I said the showcases, that's just a functional demo.

Jigoshop
    WooCommerce

And as much as I'd rather push rusty tweezers into my eyes then pour over salted vinegar into them than use/ recommend moonfruit - if that's what you are comfortable with and it gets you results, stick with it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
    Posted: Oct 10, 2012 By: PointandStare Member since: Apr 20, 2008
  13. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

31,056 9,122
    Wordpress is free. Wordpress has worldwide support. Wordpress will get you ranked higher than you ever will with moonfruit.

The argument above was regarding using wordpress for ecommerce.

Posted: Oct 10, 2012 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  14. brava101

33 0
    I know that s what everyone keeps telling me.... they keep saying i could make 100% more sales with wordpress but it s not simple to use...i created a wordpress.com and wordpress.org account and then they want me to pay to get hosted then pay for pluggings and it s all super confusing...that s the f... problem!!

15. fisicx

31,056 9,122
    OK.

You don't need wordprerss.com or wordpress.org accounts. All you need is your own domain and some hosting. You install wordpress through your control panel and you are ready to go.

Login to your dashboard and add your content. Everything else you can learn from the thousands of tutorials and videos.

I agree that it seems a little daunting when you start but I trained someone up yesterday and it took them about an hours to get the hang of it. By the time I had got home she had changed the theme, added a facebook plugin and had a video on her homepage.

16. brava101

33 0
    Really ?? an hour??
    So tell me?? i already have a domain name with Moonfruit..how do i transfer it, and what about the hosting who do i see that with when i am on my dashboard?

17. fisicx

31,056 9,122
    Who owns the domain? You or moonfruit?

Hosting can be anyone you like. I use openmind (a member here).

Once you have installed WP all you need to do it cut and paste from moonpoop to your nice new site. If you only have a few pages it won't take you more than a few minutes.

Can't help much more until I/we know which site you want to transfer. PM me if you like

18. brava101

33 0
    The thing is that i own the domain name but it has to be reliesed to me and once it is done and i can not put it back on moonfruit.
    So i have to make sure my website is uo and running before i reliese the
    domain name so i can transfer it straight away and my customers dont get meesed up with a horrible website.
    So how can i set up a nice website without a domain name for now
    Thank you

19. brava101

33 0
    I just contaced moonfruit andf they said they will releise my domain name without kicking me out their website but it might take sometime.
    So what do i do next
    I have an account on wordpress.com...is that ok, when i am on the dashboard what do i do next?
    Thank you all for the help!!;)

20. fisicx

31,056 9,122
    Go get some hosting and set up your new site. You will be able to access it via the control panel. When you are ready all you need to do it transfer the domain name across.

Don't use wordpress.com. Pay for your own hosting. If you use wordpress.com for your site you will get frustrated as there are all sorts of restrictions.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.