Is VOIP right for me?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by hassecure, Feb 25, 2021.

1. hassecure

hassecure UKBF Newcomer

29 0
    We're currently looking to close our premises, and work remotely with 2 part time members of staff working from home and a seperate storage lock-up for our engineer.

At present we have a landline going into the office, which was great pre COVID as the 2 part time members of staff split the work days and always had the phone covered. Since COVID it's become a little more complex, as the landline has a recorded directing people to a mobile number which is shared between the 2 members of staff, but means on a weekly basis they have to arrange to pass over the mobile phone.

I can appreciate I could call forward at present however the reason for the current procedure is all cost related.

If we move to this remote way of working permanently would VOIP be the best option? I'd assume whoever is working and covering the phone would logon and be able to take calls, is that right?

Finally if my understandings are correct can anyone recommend a service provider that offers reliable but cost affective VOIP services?

Thanks

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 By: hassecure Member since: Feb 11, 2017
  2. forevergroup

forevergroup Full Member

99 13
    Yes, VoIP is a good fit. There is no point having a telephone number tied to an office line that isn't being physically used.

Some systems provide softphone support so the team can answer calls using a smartphone app. Most systems will also allow you to distribute calls to certain groups or users on certain days.

This isn't a sales pitch as you are not our target customer size but I am more than happy to give you a bit of free advice on the phone: 0333 358 3808

We are a Cisco partner (Cisco are the global market leader) so you can assume that my advice is sound. Unfortunately the VoIP market has become a bit... Phones4U.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Posted: Feb 25, 2021 By: forevergroup Member since: Sep 12, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. fc-ramon

fc-ramon UKBF Contributor

77 16
    Yes, VOIP is great ..... I have it with a softphone so just and app on my phone and computer.

I use invoco and its done me well so far

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 By: fc-ramon Member since: Nov 6, 2020
  4. Alcom IT

Alcom IT Full Member

35 7
    Yes VoIP could be perfect for your scenario.

You can also, usually, move your landline to VoIP by 'porting' the number so you can even keep your existing phone number.

There is a huge range of different VoIP systems available from lots of providers and most will let you add a recorded message directing callers to a mobile. Though with these systems the staff could have apps on their phones which would means you could simplify this if you wanted to.

In terms of cost, VoIP can be cheaper than a single landline if you find the right system but some do have minimum users and other minimum costs.

Good luck.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 By: Alcom IT Member since: Jan 27, 2021
  5. hassecure

hassecure UKBF Newcomer

29 0
    Thanks for your reply. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations on providers to speak to?

6. Alcom IT

Alcom IT Full Member

35 7
    It depends on whether you need a physical phone or if an app is fine. Also depends on how many users (also known as 'extensions') you need.

If you're looking to do this yourself then google around for 'VoIP telephones' or give Gradwell a call. I have no affiliation or ties to Gradwell but I have used their services in the past.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 By: Alcom IT Member since: Jan 27, 2021
  7. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend

10,148 2,778
    Choose a provider that is a member of the ITSPA. This gives you two important protections:

They must comply to a code of conduct in how they deal with you.

Your number has protection. In the event of your chosen provider going out of business your number would be ported to another provider. Without this there is a risk of losing the number completely.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. hassecure

hassecure UKBF Newcomer

29 0
    I’ll never have more than 1 person answering the phone at 1 time, so do I need multiple users or could I just have 1 logon that is shared, as they’ll will only ever be 1 person logged and accepting calls?
    I’m really just looking for something basic, I don’t have the need for an IVR system, call recording etc - it’s purely so I can have 1 number that doesn’t go to a fixed landline

9. japancool

japancool UKBF Legend

5,308 1,239
    Honestly - if you're not too bothered with keeping your number, you could even use a solution such as Skype.

People will flag up reliability, but I've never had a problem with it - it is largely dependant on the quality of your connection.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  10. hassecure

hassecure UKBF Newcomer

29 0
    Thanks ideally I should have said I'd like to keep my current number

11. DefinitelyMaybeUK

DefinitelyMaybeUK UKBF Regular

118 33
    We've been using Voipfone for a good few years now and service reliability has been first class (famous last words!) . We ported our old landline number across and use the gigaset phones (simple plug-in ethernet base station and handsets), so can't comment on any current apps. Any missed call messages are emailed through. They do various options so would be worth a call/email.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 By: DefinitelyMaybeUK Member since: Jan 12, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. DaliaBall

DaliaBall UKBF Newcomer

2 0
    You should definitely try Voip for your personal purpose. Try to buy from trusted service provider

Posted: Jun 2, 2021 By: DaliaBall Member since: Jun 2, 2021
  13. JohnGrove

JohnGrove UKBF Contributor

48 10
    I would recommend Soho66. Excellent company, use them myself.

Posted: Jun 6, 2021 By: JohnGrove Member since: Sep 15, 2009
  14. Spreadsheet Accountant

Spreadsheet Accountant Full Member

49 5
    Useful thread is this.
    Pleasant surprise to find my provider is a member of ITSPA which is now name changed to

https://commscouncil.uk/our-members/?letter=J,K,L

also an interesting list of prospective suppliers.

I like localphone.com and ported my fixed line number to them, accessing it via softphone on my mobile. My wife swears by skype, so that works too with an incoming number.

Anthony

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 By: Spreadsheet Accountant Member since: Jun 12, 2021
  15. cjd

cjd Full Member
    Verified Business ✔️
    Business Member

15,533 3,153
    I've been involved in many naming and name-changing projects in my life and they've always been difficult affairs. This one though went really easily with nobody throwing a tantrum. It was only when we'd done it that someone said 'but what are we going to call the Council?' It was called the ITSPA Council. Now it's a bit like Major Major in Catch 22.

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE Full Member
    Verified Business ✔️
    Business Member

6,271 2,346
    I use viop I'm all over the place often I can't hear the office phone . 24 hour cover is needed so the App works well

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008