Is there a substitute for EORI?

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Karimbo, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

2,026 210
    I had a lot of trouble getting VAT invoice for items that I imported before EORI. I had to get an EORI number in order for fedex to do it properly to get a VAT certificate.

It's not a big order, it's a small order via air freight. Anyone know what the procedure is for sending stuff to UK from China for VAT?

Need to know soon so I can update the supplier as they will be dispatching on Sunday.

I informed them of EORI in December, but situation has now changed.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  2. Karimbo

2,026 210
    It seems that I may have misread, I looked up my EORI number on the url below and it was not showing as a valid number. Upon further inspection it seems that this service does not provide status of EORI numbers starting with GB.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/eos/eori_validation.jsp

Edit: it does seem to be the case, you can validate your UK EORI with this url below

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-eori-number

Just needed to check the EORI because our address has changed and haven't imported anything in a while so needed to check it's still active.

3. 2JP

2JP UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 8
    If you are importing or exporting to or from GB respectively then you really need to read about all the Brexit updates on the HMRC website.

EORIs are needed by businesses trading across borders. In summary, from what I think you have said, you have a GB EORI number and are situated in GB. A GB EORI is necessary for import into GB and export from GB. A GB EORI begins with the letters GB. I don't think a GB EORI becomes inactive unless you actively tell HMRC to de-activate it:
    https://www.gov.uk/check-eori-number

GB EORI is no longer valid in EU (a Brexit change) and the EU EORI database will no longer recognise a GB EORI number (your links above are for checking an EU EORI). You do not need an EU EORI unless you are the importer of goods into EU (or exporter out of EU). For Northern Ireland, there is also the XI EORI.

The other answers to your questions depend on whether you are VAT registered or not, what the value of the goods package is that you will be receiving, and what type of goods they are. Also, you say air freight, so will the supplier use a fast parcel operator (e.g. courier like FedEx/DHL)?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Posted: Jan 18, 2021 By: 2JP Member since: Dec 10, 2017
  4. Karimbo

2,026 210
    2JP,

Thanks for the advice, but did you read any of my post and the update?

I have a EORI number ergo, I am VAT registered because the EORI is based on VAT number (just a GB prefix and 000 suffix on the VAT number).

5. 2JP

2JP UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 8
    I am sorry, I do not understand if there is an outstanding question yet to be answered. Please clarify. I linked to the GB EORI checker web page above.

(It is not necessary to be VAT registered to have an EORI; you just need to be a business involved in exports/imports.)

Edit - Ok, I see you answered your own question 3 minutes after posting it. Please note that you can edit your posts up to 30mins after posting so you could have just annulled your original post. Glad you are all sorted.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Posted: Jan 18, 2021 By: 2JP Member since: Dec 10, 2017