Is there a free or non subscription MTD solution?

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by DavidWH, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Noah

Noah UKBF Ace Free Member

1,129 283
    Good point. On the other hand, being ripped off for "MTD-compliamt software" to the tune of £125+ annually is right here, right now, biting me daily.

When gov imposes rules and then farms out the financial benefits to private business I tend to get a little cross.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009
  2. dvddarren

dvddarren UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 1
    I agree with you there.

Although I sell a VAT MTD Bridging App, I only decided to make it when I couldn't find anything suitable (Mac compatible and not cloud) and cheap enough for my own personal use. I priced it cheaper than most of the other alternatives, but obviously not the free solutions as I have spent months working on it, had a nightmare getting Apple to approve it and I offer free support.
    I would have been just as happy if HMRC had produced their own solution. Forcing people to pay to pay their taxes is crazy and I fear it is just going to get worse as more and more tax departments seek to move to 100% digital.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: dvddarren Member since: Jun 19, 2008
  3. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,794 935
    Why is £125 a rip-off. 50p a day surely is something to hardly make you wince, and is an allowable expense, so even lower in practical terms than the £125. I got very cross when Adobe started their subscription model and vowed it would be NEVER, EVER, and here I am a few years later using the extra features and time saving the new software gives me over the old, update and spend by choice system.

I realise it's not the money really, but the principle, but for me, the benefits so far of the new software over my single priced one-payment dinosaur really work for me. Is this just like when a person has to have some kind of certificate, or new qualification to work? One of my teaching qualification exemptions was time limited and when the qualification system changed, my exemption became obsolete, so I had to pay to update it. My electrician colleague had to spend loads of money to be allowed to put a light in a bathroom. These things are just a penalty of being in business. Are they really worth getting steamed up over?

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  4. dvddarren

13 1
    I do wonder if the purpose of MTD was to flush out all the old stagnant software that is still in use.

5. Noah

1,129 283
    Yes, because :
    If getting steamed up leads to political pressure that slows or stops this abuse then yes, it is worth it.

I would take if up with my MP, but guess who's rather pre-occupied as Yet Another Conservative PM Candidate? I think I am confident in not jeopardising my anonymity by pointing that out!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  6. John Hemming

John Hemming UKBF Contributor Full Member

78 7
    According to HMRC there are 11 MTD solutions that are currently free.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: John Hemming Member since: May 23, 2019
  7. Noah

1,129 283

8. dvddarren

13 1
    I can't comment on the rest as I haven't looked at them. The one posted above will not be compliant after the soft landing unless it gets updated to support digital links.

9. DataDear Carl

DataDear Carl UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Ours is free and will be compliant beyond soft landing period. We also received the following in an email from HMRC "...we have also received a small number of complaints about some developer material suggesting that bridging products will be unsupported after 2020. This is incorrect, we have no plans to stop supporting bridging solutions. The complex nature of some business models makes bridging solutions the most practical solution in some scenarios."

Make sure you meet the digital record keeping requirements and sleep easy!

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: DataDear Carl Member since: May 29, 2019
  10. John Hemming

John Hemming UKBF Contributor Full Member

78 7
    1. I am not aware of any of the free software that is not compliant post April 1 2020. (as part of a bridging solution or otherwise)
    2. Some of the free software includes digital recording as well.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: John Hemming Member since: May 23, 2019
  11. UK Contractor Accountant

UK Contractor Accountant UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,526 754
    If you open a business account with Natwest/RBS you get a free copy of MTD enabled software FreeAgent for life.

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 By: UK Contractor Accountant Member since: Sep 18, 2013
  12. EmbeddedUK

EmbeddedUK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    You are correct, this is currently a bridging tool.
    However, there is nothing 'blatant' about meeting HMRC's requirements, conducting a successful demo and being issued with production credentials. The process is transparent. Furthermore the current status is quite clearly noted on the website along with a link to HMRC's site detailing the rules.
    It may interest you (or others) to note that the next version (presently in testing) will include the
    ability to import data, thus closing the digital link and will be, as you say, fully compliant after the soft landing period.
    This will be a free upgrade to existing customers.
    Finally, thank you for taking the time to look at our website.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 4:43 PM By: EmbeddedUK Member since: Jun 15, 2019