Is my employer expecting too much from me?

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by leftthenright, Jun 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftthenright

leftthenright UKBF Newcomer

18 1
    Before I was hired, I was told by my employer he would be hiring an assistant.

Our team consists of myself and a Sales Manager who handles the financial side of things, she has an office assistant. We have managers, which I never see and we see our boss every now and then. We usually communicate via Whatsapp or emails as he is usually out of the country.

I pointed out too we needed an assistant before, during and after the hiring process as I knew I would be managing multiple brands and this will be a heavy workload to successfully maintain. These brands are completely different to one another and there are no other employees to support create content, post on all social media, write copy, update website, manage Amazon Seller Central, answer emails, reaching out to influencers, report weekly reports, organise & attend exhibitions, other in-person promotional activities and everything else I need to do with me.

When I first started, the brands had not been set up well and there was a lot to do. There still is.

I love this responsibility and there are many, many parts of this job which I like and I see immense potential with each brand I work on every day.

My boss is not happy with what I can't achieve in a day or week. I believe I don't have enough hours in the day to fulfil and push every brand to where it should be at without one or two other people to support. I am one person, working my best and putting in extra unpaid hours some nights too. Right now, I am concerned he has an unrealistic mindset and never planned on hiring someone else. It feels unfair.

In fact, he said a couple of weeks ago his Office in a different country work 24/7.

Just today, he highlighted I hadn't responded to an Amazon review. I pointed out I check Amazon listings 3-5 times a day and the date posted on the review is not usually the same day the review goes live, it's the day they have written it before it gets processed by Amazon.

Of course, I understand if he doesn't have the cash to invest in another person. However, I feel unfair pressure and expectations have been created, rather than remembering we are a small company and we can't do everything right now at a fast speed.

Sales Manager works part-time and does not speak much. Office Assistant and I are facing the same issues. We are the youngest in the company.

What are your thoughts and what do you see here?

I definitely need some advice. I don't want to be overreacting and think it's my employer when in fact it's me.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: leftthenright Member since: Mar 26, 2019
  2. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Legend

16,059 4,532
    Deal woth ot or look for a new job. I am afraid those are your only options.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA Full Member

5,800 1,372
    You have been given far too much responsibility and work that can reasonably be expected for one person to carry out.

For one brand alone, there should be a team to fulfill the work you have outlined.

Your employer has little experience in what is required and what can be achieved by one person, instead looking to save costs on employing adequate staff, which is unproductive.

Simply put, his demands are unrealistic.

I would suggest a meeting with your boss or HR person explaining the following:

You are happy and enjoy your work, BUT:

1. In order for you to work efficiently on each topic, you have to devote sufficient time to cover what is required.

2. The volume of work does not allow you to fully concentrate and devote the time required for each topic.

3. If excessive demands and workload are made on you, this will impact on your work to achieve the desired results.

4. It was mentioned that there will be an assistant helping with the workload. If this is not forthcoming, then the amount of work will be overwhelming for one person and will eventually impact on the results required.

5. Reiterate that you are happy in your work and if you had an assistant, the amount of work as well as results required, will be more inline with what the boss requires / is expecting.

Your boss does not understand what is required to achieve harmony between staff and their workload . . . . . .and I will hazard a guess that he is not English.

Good luck.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Victoria_V

Victoria_V UKBF Contributor

153 20
    First things first, get him to understand that you value your life outside the office and don't enable his workaholism.
    Next, keep a log of what you manage to do in a day and track every minute you spend on your daily and weekly tasks. You need to have a written proof of how many hours you're actually working (I'm assuming it's way more than 40?).
    Regarding the assistant you were promised, I would use the weekly report to show your boss that more could be achieved if he gave you the assistant you had been promised. See if he could start with hiring a part-time assistant, if he can't afford a full time employee at the moment.

If your boss is too set in their ways, no amount of reasoning will change their mind, unfortunately, especially if they're from a different culture. These people also tend to gaslight their employees into thinking they're the problem. It's definitely not you and you're not overreacting. Hold your ground and good luck!

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 By: Victoria_V Member since: May 29, 2019
  5. strikingedge

strikingedge UKBF Ace

462 112
    You need to persuade your boss that an assistant would add value - not just make your life easier.

Numbers talk, so put together a proposal that highlights how much extra revenue the position would generate and how it would pay for itself.

Your boss might be fine with a proposal that quickly covers costs, with the prospect that it will in time generate additional profit.

If you can't persuade him - well, you sound like you're not particularly happy, there's lots of demand for good Amazon Marketplace / Vendor experts - take your skills somewhere with a more structured organisation and you might even end up with a pay rise.

Posted: Jul 7, 2019 By: strikingedge Member since: Jan 25, 2009
    • Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.