Is listing your items online worth the hassle?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by dsh10ksr, Nov 17, 2020.

1. dsh10ksr

dsh10ksr UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    Hello All,
    Me and my partner are interested in setting up our own business within the ecommerce industry.

Without going in to too much detail and revealing the masterplan. I wanted to gauge interest and see if there is at least some demand for this service.

So my question to everyone is how often do you throw away items which would be perfectly reusable? How often is that you would buy second hand items (electronics, furniture and clothing)?

Is listing your items online worth the hassle for the potential monetary return?

I myself believe that it is worth the hassle if you get the right price however I know of a few friends of mine who seem to just throw away or hoard outdated items.

I realise that the "second hand market" is growing at the moment and thanks to multiple online selling platforms the idea of buying used goods seems to be more appealing.

Look forward to hearing your responses.

Cheers

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 By: dsh10ksr Member since: Nov 17, 2020
  2. John Toomey

John Toomey JDJT1966 Full Member

42 6
    Hi @dsh10ksr, whilst I agree people do throw things away, isn't that what ebay, gumtree, charity shops or car boot sales do?

My company does the digital marketing for a company who sells used & new products and whilst it definitely works I'd say you have to be in the right industry.

BTW, we don't use ebay, gumtree, etc. as a route to market we have optimised their website and use Google Ads, postcard marketing, email marketing and brochures. That said, you can get an ecommerce shop up and running very cost-effectively if you want to try before you invest a larger amount of money.

I hope this helps.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 By: John Toomey Member since: Sep 7, 2020
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,659 9,977
    YES!

I sell loads of stuff on eBay. Earns me a tidy sum each month.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

10,306 2,044

You must buy too much stuff you didn't want in the 1st place :)

Since reading the post earlier I've been round the house and couldn't find anything worth selling :-(

I just buy stuff I need and use it until it wears out.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,659 9,977
    Brought boxes of old tools, cleaned them up and they all sold. Then there are books, old clothes and stuff in the garage I’ve not touched in years.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. lesliedocherty

lesliedocherty UKBF Ace Free Member

2,261 315
    100%, there is growing trend for this and a drive towards buying used, look at Ikea etc.

Personally, I would rather buy a used piece of furniture, hedge trimmers, bike, happy in the fact that some poor soul took the hit for full rrp and I get it at a tidy discount

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  7. meteora

meteora UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 0
    everyone can list on a website really , makes no difference, there is a proliferation of the same items being listed online, no difference at all

Posted: Nov 20, 2020 By: meteora Member since: Nov 20, 2020
  8. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,716 638
    100%, Covid has just speeded up the online marketplace! Alex

Posted: Nov 20, 2020 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  9. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

25,461 3,108
    Except in the seller.

Look at the supermarkets or other retailers. They have lots of the same items for sale, no difference at all.
    Yet people buy the goods.

Posted: Nov 20, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  10. Awinner2

Awinner2 UKBF Regular Free Member

485 115
    There are tight(ish) regulations about selling electrical goods, especially secondhand, so maybe not a niche to be in.

Posted: Nov 20, 2020 By: Awinner2 Member since: Aug 4, 2017