General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Is it worth joining a network business? Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Lilysun, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,200 2,094
    Weatherspoons?

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  2. Personalised stories

Personalised stories UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    not very helpful Paul, but thank you for your time, much appreciated!

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 By: Personalised stories Member since: Jan 5, 2021
  3. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,972 937

Not massively helpful, I concede! But, in a round about way, we are trying to encourage you to be a bit more systematic about it than adding to a rather old thread. You could, for example, start a new thread on the topic.

But actually I suspect that forums like this are very low on the list of places to try. Most people genuinely do start with friends and family, and local community groups.

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  4. Oscar478

Oscar478 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 3
    I see 'network marketing' gigs as a game, not a business. People (winners) can be successful and make a lot of money. They rely on these people to stand up and recruit more players. If it is a well designed game, the many losers feel as if they were not good enough, too lazy or generally did something wrong, so they do not protest, and some even want to play again. They may tell you it will be easy to sell X number of Y, and that's how many you should buy up front. If you sell them all, youll be making Z, a huge amount of money. You don't sell half of what they said would be easy, and you blame yourself. You take the hit and give them more money for another spin of the wheel. The rewards are not clear, and neither are the rules in many cases.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: Oscar478 Member since: Sep 6, 2017
  5. MikeJ

MikeJ UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,909 1,755
    I am completely convinced by this new poster that's registered simply because he happened upon this thread concerning MLM scams.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 By: MikeJ Member since: Jan 15, 2008
  6. Rekkovitch

Rekkovitch UKBF Contributor Free Member

35 3
    I was invited to join the BNI locally about 8 years ago. I stupidly agreed to attend a free breakfast session only to find people condescending of my business and I think they thought they were a cut above. I know a couple of crooked businesses that are members of another branch/team/area or whatever they call it.

So my advice , buyer beware !

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 By: Rekkovitch Member since: Nov 6, 2015
  7. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,653 4,527
    Bl**dy BNI won't leave me alone, chamber of commerce ain't no better and there's another crowd kinda like the BNI, can't remember what their called, 'numpties are us', somefink like that.

I design houses, extensions and loft conversions, so my leads are especially valuable to builders. That bunch of numpties aint getting them for nowt!

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  8. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,200 2,094
    There are a few of them, often mimicking the format - though some are a bit less pompous than BNI

It always makes me laugh when I see people on LinkedIn randomly 'recommending' a list of people who happen to belong to their networking group

Not the networking the OP was referring to, but it always makes for a fun thread.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015