Is it typical for an employer to not settle through ACAS conciliation?

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Im_a_recruiter, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Im_a_recruiter

Im_a_recruiter UKBF Contributor Free Member

I raised a grievance with my employer on sex discrimination and my employment was terminated 2 weeks later, and they didn't investigate my grievance.

I've appointed a solicitor to act on my behalf and he was trying to obtain a settlement and they suddenly stopped responding to him. I've now went through the ACAS conciliation process and the conciliator yesterday, confirmed to the solicitor that they do not with to settle.

Is this common behaviour from an employer. Are they likely to think there is no case and they haven't done anything wrong or are they maybe banking on me giving up and walking away?

I really thought they'd settle and from the conversation the solicitor had with her, he thought they would too.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: Im_a_recruiter Member since: Mar 28, 2015
  2. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

If they don't think you have a case, of course it would be normal for them not to offer a settlement.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
  3. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

There is no normal in these situations. The situation you find yourself in is unique

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

They appear to disagree about settlement. Perhaps their legal advice was different.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. sjbeale

sjbeale UKBF Ace Full Member

There is no normal behaviour when it comes to employment tribunals. So you must continue on with your case and work with your solicitor to get your paperwork prepared and follow due procedure. You may be offered a pre hearing review as its an alleged case of sex discrimination to set the objectives and timescales for the case ready for the big hearing. As part of the process you may be offered a judicial review with a view to settling which you should try and go for. They could decide to settle at any point along the way before a hearing. I have settled cases for my claimant clients sometimes on the morning of the employment tribunal hearing. You never know what will happen...//

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: sjbeale Member since: Jul 8, 2005