Is it time to move on from EKM Powershop?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by loganmcqueen, Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loganmcqueen

loganmcqueen UKBF Newcomer Free Member

29 1
    Is it time to move on from EKM Powershop?

I have been with ekm for a couple of years now and im beginning to wonder if this is still the right option for me?

A quick background of my company is that we are a reasonably large seller on ebay and amazon and have been trading on these two platforms for a number of years. After a year on these market places a natural progression as I suppose it is with nearly all ebay and amazon start ups was our own website.

We researched this at length (2012ish) and decided to go with EKM. Since that time we have uploaded our inventory and spent many hours trying to get the look and feel of the website just right. We have experimented with different themes and so on.

Sales have never really took off on the site. Probably one or two per day on a steady basis most of the time. It kind of got to the point where the website was no longer been used to try and attract sales but more as a credibility factor for our business just to have one.

Some of the functionality with the inventory management is very slow and pretty tiresome especially when dealing with lots of variants of colour and size like we do. uploading images is particularly frustrating as we cant fathom a way of assigning an image to represent one colour of say a polo shirt but have to upload the same picture for every size in that colour scheme which really slows things down.

Another major issue im having is that there is no option for offering bulk discounts on variants. Which once again is a major problem because our types of items are regularly purchased in quantities of more than one.

So Is it time to move on from EKM Powershop or are there work arounds for these issues? and what are the alternatives on offer out there? Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences?

Posted: Aug 10, 2015 By: loganmcqueen Member since: Aug 9, 2009
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,102 8,835
    There are plenty of alternatives but unless you are going to market the products none of them are going to change your current lack of sales.

You could have a fantastic looking site, superb images and well written and enticing descriptions but unless you are going to invest in marketing you might as well not bother. The theme isn't important, all that matters is your marketing and how you present the products.

How many products in the inventory?

Posted: Aug 10, 2015 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. loganmcqueen

29 1
    Hundreds of products with thousands of variants. ppeworksolutions.com

4. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,102 8,835
    In which case Magento looks like the best solution. But don't try to do it yourself, you wil lwaste hundreds of hours getting it all set up (most of that time on various forums asking how do I questions).

Employ a developer to do the donkey work. Invest a couple of grand and you will have everything you ever dreamed of. Add another £5K for marketing and you will soon be soaring with the eagles.

Posted: Aug 10, 2015 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. loganmcqueen

29 1
    I have had a look on the Magento site and read some articles about them. what is the most appropriate for my setup community or enterprise edition? Is there any comprehensive tutorials to get to grips with what magento is all about as I really do not know too much about them so far. And where would be a good place to source a developer and what level of work do they normally carry out.

6. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,509 605
    If you are considering switching from EKM you may wish to contact someone like Cart2Cart or Migrashop to assist with the migration (if you are going to be doing it yourselves). They don't currently list EKM as an option but it might still be worth contacting them to see.

(we are in no way affiliated with any of these companies)

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  7. Tech4Homes

Tech4Homes UKBF Regular Full Member

462 64
    If eBay is important then I would really recommend looking at Magento.

I started on EKM Powershop, moved to Wordpress, Moved to Opencart, stayed there for a couple of years with no problems (still have one opencart site at present), moved to Magento recently and I doubt I'll ever look back.

Steep learning curve, but the site is 100 times better than my previous site. I love the extra features, I haven't had to spend too much on modules yet. I think it's better for SEO out of the box too. Arguably I have added a lot more content, more product information, improved pictures, titles, SEO work etc. However I could do this out of the box, I would have had to add various modules with Opencart via a developer. I've also found Opencart to be quite buggy, especially the latest version which I gave up on quite quickly.

However the big thing is that the eBay integration via M2E Pro is easy and works well, better than anything else I've used.

Sure you can get Opencart to do anything you want, but out of the box I think Magento is the way forward. I'm hosted with NuBlue and site is fast and never had any problems.

+1 on hire someone if you can afford it, I couldn't and had to do it all myself, hard work, tiring and I should be spending my time finding customers....

Posted: Aug 15, 2015 By: Tech4Homes Member since: Sep 30, 2012
  8. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,312 572
    Not really sure I agree with this. It's a bit like saying to a high street shop that their shopfront isn't important, all that matters is how they display the products inside.

Selling online is all about trust and if your website looks like it's straight from 1995 or if it looks home made, people will be put off from buying.

It's also true what fisicx says about marketing though, without proper marketing you won't make any sales either. You can test some aspects of your marketing with the link in our signature.

Posted: Aug 17, 2015 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  9. loganmcqueen

29 1
    What marketing are you guys using. I use social media and leaflets sent with orders. We have set up an adwords account a week ago, no conversions yet from our clicks. I do have a vast amount of email addresses of previous customers saved but have yet to use email campaign.

Posted: Aug 17, 2015 By: loganmcqueen Member since: Aug 9, 2009
  10. antropy

3,312 572
    Email campaigns are probably the highest ROI you can get and they're very easy to do!

11. loganmcqueen

29 1
    I have an email template set up by EKM to be used on there ekm response email marketing.
    Not sure whether to use there system or go with something like mail chimp. I have a bit of research to do before I decide who to use yet.

Posted: Aug 17, 2015 By: loganmcqueen Member since: Aug 9, 2009
  12. antropy

3,312 572
    Probably use MailChimp - it specializes in sending email, it's all it does, and it's become very good at it in terms of things like reporting and deliverability.

13. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,404 649
    What are you hoping to achieve by the move?

Posted: Aug 19, 2015 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  14. loganmcqueen

29 1
    Without going into too much detail a better all round functioning website with the features we require that will give customers a better experience that will ultimately lead to increased sales.

Posted: Aug 19, 2015 By: loganmcqueen Member since: Aug 9, 2009
  15. japancool

3,404 649
    OK, but are you certain that it's the customer experience that's the root cause of a lack of sales? Are you getting visitors to your site and the majority of them are bouncing?

Posted: Aug 19, 2015 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  16. loganmcqueen

29 1
    We do get sales on certain products. But others which are some of our biggest sellers on ebay and amazon get barely none. For example work gloves which are usually purchased in packs of 2, 5, 12, 24, 120 pairs or more, because they are listed as a single pair we cannot pick up the bulk sales. This goes the same for companies purchasing for example polo shirts for their staff, ideally we need the bulk discount feature again and this goes for lots of other products that we sell. Safety glasses, ear defenders etc etc.

Posted: Aug 20, 2015 By: loganmcqueen Member since: Aug 9, 2009
  17. japancool

3,404 649
    Are you getting many visitors to your site? Do you know what your bounce rate is?

Posted: Aug 20, 2015 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  18. japancool

3,404 649
    Couldn't you simply duplicate the product but with different quantities and a different price? That is Work gloves (single pair), Work gloves (pack of 5) etc.

19. loganmcqueen

29 1
    I don't know the bounce rate. To duplicate the listing would lead to far too many pages of duplicated listings unfortunately and would make it harder for customers to navigate the website. Not ideal and would look messy. Basically we know there are work arounds but we want a professional website that as a bulk discount/price break feature available to make it as easy as possible for our customers to shop seamlessly on our website.

Posted: Aug 20, 2015 By: loganmcqueen Member since: Aug 9, 2009
  20. japancool

3,404 649
    Here's the issue - if you don't know how many visitors or your bounce rate, you don't know that the reason you're losing sales is because of the bulk discount issue. You might well be right, but you're only guessing - you could end up moving to a new system, and having the same problem. You need to install some kind of analytics on your shop so that you know how many visitors you're getting and what their behaviour is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.