Is it normal to lose 70% of Mailing List from GDPR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bp5678

Free Member
May 16, 2018
24
3
We have 9485 people in our mailing list which we've accumulated over MANY years.

2700 people have chosen to opt in to our GDPR email.

So nearly 30% have chosen to opt in. The other 70% have either not responded and therefore will get deleted or have chosen to opt out. This means we will lose a whopping 6785 people from our database.

Does this sound normal/correct?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nochexman

Lisa Thomas

Business Member
Apr 20, 2015
3,897
554
I would think so - I was very happy to come off all these spammy emailing lists. So surprising to see how may I am on.

I am surprised you got as many as 30% to opt in but this suggests they are genuinely interested in your business, rather than the other 70% who are presumably not so was probably a good exercise in cleaning up your database for core interested parties.
 
Upvote 0

Bp5678

Free Member
May 16, 2018
24
3
At least you now have a mailing list where you know that every one on it is genuinely interested in the product or service that you are selling.
True but only up to a point @Gecko001

We are losing so many contacts and some may have simply not seen the email, may not have access to their email to reply to it etc etc. There are many reasons why someone who could be genuinely interested in our newsletters and misses out on future communications.

Even if we lose one person who is genuinely interested, they may choose not to book a holiday with us (we're a holiday company) and this is £7000 revenue potentially lost (yes, the holidays are very pricey).


In regards to the original question, do you think losing 70% of our database is normal? Is this the sort of figure other companies will have?

Thank for your help.
 
Upvote 0

Newchodge

Business Member
Nov 8, 2012
16,231
4,585
Newcastle
I don't have a mailing list so I don't know if the figure is representative. I do know that I have, with great relief, not replied to 100% of those who have asked about opting in as none of them were of the slightest interest to me. Those who have asked 4 times since I failed to reply the first time will NEVER get any custom from me again.

You should turn it around. How many of the 70% have been repeat customers since they went on your list?
 
  • Like
Reactions: atmosbob
Upvote 0

Chris Ashdown

Free Member
Dec 7, 2003
12,509
2,619
Norfolk
Maybe the other 70% were just one time buyers and have no future needs for your products or services

We used to have 50,000 on our newsletter list but a large number may have been people who wanted a embroidered polo shirt for a birthday present or simular and the chances of future sales were very small
 
Upvote 0

fisicx

Moderator
Business Listing
Sep 12, 2006
35,646
10,804
Aldershot
www.aerin.co.uk
In regards to the original question, do you think losing 70% of our database is normal? Is this the sort of figure other companies will have?
Yes, and I'm surprised it's not higher. I'm busy unsubscribing from everything I get an email about - many of which I wasn't even aware I'd signed up for.
 
Upvote 0

Stedurham

Free Member
May 11, 2018
529
78
Ive ignored everyone as it a was getting daft, does this mean that when I want to order a new kitchen I wont go to howdens no, or when I need something I wont go to screwfix no, its just a case of easily getting rid of 100's of e mails a month. Yes some had special offers that I bought, but if I need something and I'm in they will no doubt tell me anyway. I wouldn't worry about it retaining 30% I would say is good going
 
Upvote 0

Lisa Thomas

Business Member
Apr 20, 2015
3,897
554
True but only up to a point @Gecko001

We are losing so many contacts and some may have simply not seen the email, may not have access to their email to reply to it etc etc. ?

Thank for your help.

Part of the problem may be that many people are sending their GDPR opt-ins at such short notice.
 
  • Like
Reactions: simon field
Upvote 0

Scott-Copywriter

Free Member
May 11, 2006
9,609
2,673
We have 9485 people in our mailing list which we've accumulated over MANY years.

2700 people have chosen to opt in to our GDPR email.

So nearly 30% have chosen to opt in. The other 70% have either not responded and therefore will get deleted or have chosen to opt out. This means we will lose a whopping 6785 people from our database.

Does this sound normal/correct?

That's actually pretty good going to be honest. On average I expect the re-consent rate for most businesses to be in the single digit percentages.

Bear in mind though that you don't need complete re-consent of all subscribers. You only need it if your previous method of requesting consent (or lack of) does not comply with GDPR law. If you gained consent of any subscribers in ways that are GDPR compliant, you can continue to communicate with them (providing all communications are GDPR compliant also).
 
  • Like
Reactions: simon field
Upvote 0
We are losing so many contacts and some may have simply not seen the email, may not have access to their email to reply to it etc etc. There are many reasons why someone who could be genuinely interested in our newsletters and misses out on future communications.
It's great to think that but its almost certainly not true. If people didn't get your resubscribe email then they almost certainly aren't getting your marketing emails either. As for the rest. The reality is that most people are on mailing lists because they had to be to get the freebie/special offer or they didn't see the unsubscribe box before hitting Submit.

Don't believe me? Take a look at the responses in this thread. Don't believe them? Talk to your friends. See how many of them are actually fretting over the possibility of missing out on an eagerly awaited marketing email as compared to the number who are taking the opportunity to unsubscribe (or just ignore) all the email lists they never cared about. Finally, if that doesn't convince you go back through your last two years sales and see how many repeat (not initial) orders actual came from people who have not resubscribed.

If these people are not active customers they are not customers at all. Losing them isn't a problem it is an opportunity. You now know that the people who re-subscribed are interested. Efforts/offers directed at these people are far more likely to result in a return than it ever would to the "lost" 70%.
 
Upvote 0

cjd

Business Member
Business Listing
Nov 23, 2005
15,613
3,149
www.voipfone.co.uk
It will depend on business type of course but I think there's an 'oh just go away' feeling around so businesses with one-off sales like yours are going to lose a lot. In your kind of business and the current climate, 30% is probably quite good, it means that 30% are VERY interested and maybe you can focus more on giving them MORE info. (But be careful, don't get annoying!)

Do you have any statistics on opt-in rates for new customers yet?
 
Upvote 0

UKSBD

Moderator
  • Business Listing
    I'm busy unsubscribing from everything I get an email about

    I would be very careful doing that.

    As virtually every unsubscribe link I've seen is a shortened URL, you might have no idea what the actual link is.

    It goes against all good advice about only clicking on links if you are sure you know what they are
     
    Upvote 0

    dan19900

    Free Member
    Mar 2, 2018
    260
    46
    You've done well, lost over 90% of mine. Surprised so many people seem to think it's not much of a loss. A lot of that 90% may not have hit 'resubscribe' but they may well of clicked one of the ads that I email out at some point.
    I've not resubscribed to any of them myself but I know at some point I'd of seen an email and bought from one of them.
     
    Upvote 0

    AndyLF

    Free Member
    Oct 9, 2013
    55
    6
    London
    Yep, 30% is actually quite good. The main issue will be that the majority won't have even opened the email (as I'm sure your open-rate stats will confirm). This could be because a chunk of your data is old, but also because a lot of bulk-sent emails go into spam and just get ignored. Whilst I agree with others that a lot of people are happily not opting in, an equally large issue is that A LOT of your recipients won't have even opened the email you sent. You do have the option to call them then and ask for their opt-in if they are valuable enough to justify it.

    In short though, you aren't alone, pretty much every business in your situation (i.e. with non opt-in lists) will have seen their subscribers cut by 80%+.
     
    Upvote 0

    Helen Armour

    Free Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    4
    1
    At Really Simple Systems CRM we've had a 35% response rate and I haven't heard of anyone with anything higher yet. I think we all have to be prepared to start over, but don't confuse marketing emails with "legitimate interest". Take some proper legal advice and you may find that providing you include an opt-out option you are still fine to mail your database.
     
    Upvote 0
    why are you asking people to 'opt-in' again?? i've received so many variants of the GDPR act is unbelievable the hype/nonsense this is generating.

    Providing an 'opt-out' or 'remove me completely' mechanism is suffice alongside a general we've updated our 'T&Cs/Privacy policy' with what data we collect, why and where its used is more than enough
     
    Upvote 0

    Andrew Bolton

    Free Member
    Feb 23, 2018
    16
    2
    Absolutely 'down south'

    So many people have got it wrong..even John Lewis..there was no requirement to send Opt In requests, so all those Companies who have done so, have shot themselves in the foot and accidentally lost the bulk of their database..dont know if they can now legally retract...the Companies that kept their powder dry have been more savvy and just sent out fresh Privacy Policies, some Companies , like a ferry Company we heard from everyday, suddenly switched last minute from Opt-In ( or else) to, simply read our new policy and opt -out if you wish
     
    • Like
    Reactions: downsouth
    Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

    Subscribe to our newsletters

    ukbf logo
    ukbf logo

    Real community whatever your business.
    Sign up to our full membership View Documentation

    About us

    • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

    Quick Navigation

    User Menu