Is bounce rate a ranking factor?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by [email protected], May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erminoli

Erminoli UKBF Newcomer

35 5
    50% wrong.

The bounce rate can both be a positive and a negative signal.

Let's say, we're analyzing the bounce rate of a contact page. The page is perfect, if the user will see all relevant contact information at first sight, so that he/she can call/mail etc. A high bounce rate would rather be a positive signal.

If we're analyzing Part #1 of an article series, a high bounce rate would rather be a negative signal, because you want your readers to read the other parts as well (more pages per visit = more ad impressions = more revenue).

I am quite confused, that every second reply here is a 100% YES, 100% NO, 100% WRONG or 100% RIGHT answer. There is a huge space in between. It's not all black and white, guys.

Posted: Apr 16, 2017 By: Erminoli Member since: Jun 19, 2016
  2. altonroot

altonroot UKBF Regular

236 35
    No there is nothing in between at the moment as Google has said so many times. The current mathematics of calculation made that way. You can manipulate my bounce rate easily, that means if it is a ranking signal you can do negative SEO for my site . Google denied negative SEO so many times as well. One more simple thing, bounce rate is single page visit, it doesn't describe website bad or good. If a user visited my blog and spend 10 mins to read whole blog and left. He/she was happy because he/she spent 10 minutes to read my content. Happy users means good website as per Google's words.

Posted: Apr 17, 2017 By: altonroot Member since: Feb 26, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. rizbit

rizbit UKBF Newcomer

84 0
    100% bounce rate with 10000 views in one day. It tells search engines that 10000 visited your website, which might have 100 pages....and they only visited that one page then left your site...

It could mean that page they visited is poorly designed and you do not link to other pages/posts or maybe do not even have a menu bar with links to other pages. OR they just saw the site took no interest and left.

So yes it does affect ranking

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 By: rizbit Member since: Mar 13, 2017
  4. Cherin

Cherin UKBF Newcomer

7 2
    The bounce rate is the percentage of visitors to a particular site who navigate or bounce away after only viewing that individual webpage.

Usually, the term bounce rate has a negative connotation associated with it. People think that if a visitor only visits one page and then leaves, it is bad for business. Their logic is not that flawed, either. After all, a high bounce rate would indicate that a site does not have the high-quality, relevant content Google wants out of its top ranked sites.

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 By: Cherin Member since: Apr 18, 2017
  5. chapsl

chapsl UKBF Newcomer

2 0
    No, bounce rate is not a ranking factor. A website’s bounce rate can be manipulated with the tools available.

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 By: chapsl Member since: Apr 19, 2017
  6. Erminoli

Erminoli UKBF Newcomer

35 5
    Isn't everything manipulatable somehow? I don't know if this is a valid argument.

Posted: Apr 21, 2017 By: Erminoli Member since: Jun 19, 2016
  7. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Business Member

35,311 10,772
    If you read the whole thread you will realise this just isn't true.

Suppose you have a page that tells me the time in London and a load of people visit this page from New York. Bounce will probably be high but the page is 100% relevant to the enquiry.

Posted: May 5, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  8. Prince_Nirala

Prince_Nirala UKBF Newcomer

27 4
    Great discussion here on Bounce rate is a ranking factor or not? I also think it is a ranking factor because Google check how much time a visitor spent on site or he/she perform any event or not. So, i think these factors are affected ranking.

Posted: May 15, 2017 By: Prince_Nirala Member since: May 15, 2017
  9. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Business Member

35,311 10,772
    if it is a ranking signal it's only going to have s tiny influence. Any effect it does have could easily be dwarfed by any of the more influential factors.

Consider also that the snippets Google now displays means the searcher may get the answer they want without ever visiting your website.

Posted: May 15, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Prince_Nirala

Prince_Nirala UKBF Newcomer

27 4
    Great point, thanks, fisicx.

Posted: May 15, 2017 By: Prince_Nirala Member since: May 15, 2017
  11. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Business Member

35,311 10,772
    Not necessarily. This has been discussed and explained a number of times in this thread and on many other websites.

Posted: May 19, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  12. WillGraham

WillGraham UKBF Newcomer

4 0
    i think the answer is yes. high bounce rate will make google think your site doesn't provide valuable content so it affects your rank

Posted: May 19, 2017 By: WillGraham Member since: May 18, 2017
  13. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Business Member

35,311 10,772
    Did you even read the thread?

Posted: May 19, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  14. altonroot

altonroot UKBF Regular

236 35
    Found really really interesting read,
    https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Understanding-the-bounce-rate/ba-p/859398

Bounced visitor means 00:00:00 time spent on website as Google analytics don't have second time stamp.
    Another interesting point is, avg time on site is no where near to accuracy as time spent on last page in session and one page visit is not considered.
    So if one see the quality and accuracy of data is poor, it can not, I repeat, It can not be the ranking factor. It is not even accurate data to analyse for us either.

Posted: May 30, 2017 By: altonroot Member since: Feb 26, 2014
  15. Steve Alphabet

Steve Alphabet UKBF Regular

189 48
    Wow this thread is still going :)
    Bill Gates walks into a bar...and everyone inside becomes a millionaire – on average.
    (ignore averages in web analytics, they mean nothing, especially bounce rates)

Posted: Jun 1, 2017 By: Steve Alphabet Member since: Apr 3, 2015
  16. Certa-Hosting

Certa-Hosting Full Member

44 2
    With analytics you can see the visits from your social sites so Google will know they are yours.
    Bounce rate, number of visitors, time on site, pages visited in Analytics is used by Google and the ranking factors based on what people can determine from these. They are still important to you for your business so worth improving.

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 By: Certa-Hosting Member since: Mar 6, 2017
  17. WoottonSEO

WoottonSEO UKBF Newcomer

18 5
    Bounce rate is a confirmed ranking factor albeit a fairly light weight one (relative to links and varioustechnical onsite factors). It makes perfect sense when you think about it. Google wants to provide quality results to searchers ... and if Analytics is shows a large amount of users leaving a site immediately upon entry - then it become apparent to Google that that particular site may not be the most relevant one for the pertaining search phrase.. 10% seems like a pretty good bounce rate to aim for.

Posted: Jun 17, 2017 By: WoottonSEO Member since: Jun 17, 2017
  18. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend

6,892 1,921
    If you don't use Google Analytics, how does Google determine bounce rates? ( this is a genuine question just in case you think it is not )

Google obviously can determine click through rates.

What happens, if you set an event based on time on site and set it to a very low time, thus reducing bounce rate? Traditional bounce rate is calculated on moving to a new page, but wisdom says ( e.g. on a one page site ) that time based event is more appropriate ( ref Kaushik ) so is this an easy SEO win?

Is using Google Analytics a +ve or -ve ranking factor?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Posted: Jun 17, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  19. Xtm_Mike

Xtm_Mike UKBF Ace

441 101
    Probably user level tracking (click through from Google, and back, or whatever...) I believe they can track a user at some level without their tools installed on a website.

It's a confusing one though, as you can't take a one size fits all approach to bounce rate. I guess they analyse the page and determine what the BR should be and then measure whether that is actually achieved?

Just a guess. I'm not too concerned about BR.

Posted: Jun 17, 2017 By: Xtm_Mike Member since: Dec 10, 2010
  20. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend

6,892 1,921
    I haven't done any scientific experiments, but it is interesting, it may explain why anecdotally when running Adwords, sometime there seems to be an organic lift. As a good Adwords campaign will be attracting lower bounce visitors.

But if it was a serious factor I'm sure the SEO industry would be creating 'tricks' to lower bounce.

In my mind, from a Google perspective, a low bounce is a bad sign, as it means that Google directed them to the wrong page and then they had to go somewhere else on site.

But a high bounce rate ( by a default GA calc ) would mean that Google found the right page first time.

Whilst Google may measure 'click backs', it is definitely a different measure than bounce rate in GA => in my opinion, don't worry about it as a ranking factor - just continue to focus on is you site delivering what its users need.

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.