Ireland, Holland or Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by shaunatsf, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaunatsf

shaunatsf UKBF Newcomer Free Member

104 14
    Hi,

Does anybody know what the benefits or drawbacks are of setting up between these three countries.

I know the corporation tax rates are low, but which is the best to choose.

I wish it was for my benefit but alas thats not the case. Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Posted: Dec 16, 2010 By: shaunatsf Member since: Mar 6, 2010
  2. elainec100@cheapaccounting

[email protected] UKBF Newcomer Full Member

13,268 2,883
    I'm not sure that any accountants on here would know as the laws are all different you would need an accountant from each country

Posted: Dec 16, 2010 By: [email protected] Member since: Nov 4, 2005
  3. The Pines

The Pines UKBF Newcomer Free Member

322 95

Amsterdam isn't a country - it's the capital city of, er, Holland.

That narrows your choices down a bit though...

Posted: Dec 16, 2010 By: The Pines Member since: Nov 20, 2008
  4. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,901 3,466
    Holland isn't a country, it's the western part of The Netherlands, a country which has Amsterdam as it's capital.

Ireland has the lowest tax, but as they are now owned by EU (GmbH) there is a certain amount of flux around the issue.

Let me guess: Online atlases? Tom Tom apps? Ferry timetables?

Posted: Dec 16, 2010 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  5. The Pines

The Pines UKBF Newcomer Free Member

322 95
    Well blow me down with a feather, I learn something new every day! I always throught Holland/Netherlands were interchangeable, but it appears not.

RE: the original question, if you're looking at Europe, surely Liechtenstein is the country of choice for tax, er, eh, erm, 'avoidance'

Posted: Dec 16, 2010 By: The Pines Member since: Nov 20, 2008
  6. David Richards

David Richards UKBF Newcomer Free Member

509 157
    Although Holland makes up just two of the provinces of the Netherlands (North Holland and South Holland), even Dutch people use the term Holland and Netherlands interchangeably - e.g. the Dutch tourist board's website is holland.com.

Pub quiz fact: Amsterdam is in the province North Holland but isn't the provincial capital, even though it is the national capital.

Posted: Dec 16, 2010 By: David Richards Member since: Mar 17, 2010
  7. shaunatsf

shaunatsf UKBF Newcomer Free Member

104 14
    Hi,

Sorry I was on the phone as I was trying to type the post. Note to self dont try to do two things at once. It should have read Ireland, Holland or Cyprus. It had been a long day.

Thanks anyway.

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 By: shaunatsf Member since: Mar 6, 2010
  8. logicaljackSEO

logicaljackSEO UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 1
    Just had this asked to me actually, a customer of mine is thinking about setting up a tax office in Cyprus or Ireland so I thought I would have a little search around. Did you come to any conclusion?
    I am starting to think Ireland would be the best at the moment, definitely favourable for travel time etc.

Posted: Jul 3, 2012 By: logicaljackSEO Member since: Nov 14, 2011
  9. Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog UKBF Regular Free Member

399 78
    Provided the company trades cross border, rather than just in the uk, it is relatively easy to establish that the company has a cypriot base due to local laws there.

There is a strong corporate governance culture (similar to uk) meaning the locals can generally be trusted.

There are plentify of English speaking lawyers and accountants based there who will do the necessary. From memory I think costs are a few hundred up front and then about £1200 pa to adminster the company. Those figures may be a bit out of date though.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    Posted: Jul 3, 2012 By: Strontium Dog Member since: Dec 2, 2008
  10. money24seven

money24seven UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 8
    Recently had a friend who runs a company with over $1.2 billion turnover set up his head office in Dublin. Says the tax incentives were so appealing.

Posted: Jul 3, 2012 By: money24seven Member since: May 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.