Employment & HR Brought to you by Jaluch (DocsWizard)
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Interview follow up

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Marco Boogers, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Marco Boogers

Marco Boogers UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 1
    Hi, thanks for reading. I had a 4th interview for a role I really want 7 days ago. After the interview they said they would be in a position to make a decision in one or two weeks. The sales director who is making the decision is away on business. They also said they had taken one more person to the final stage (I think that's a lie btw, I have a feeling its just me as some of the time lines they mentioned do not quite add up). I've also been interviewing for another position however I much prefer the first job I mentioned. I've interviewed well and I think the second role have offered me the position and they are pushing for a response. Is it appropriate to chase the first role even though its within the time frame they originally set? I don't want to screw up the second offer if the first one doesn't materialise. Can I be honest with the first role and tell them my predicament or shall I just keep holding them off?

Thanks

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: Marco Boogers Member since: Jan 20, 2018
  2. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

9,219 1,873
    Anyone who wants 4 interviews is playing you along, take the other job and be happy

A firm that dithers that much will never amount to much as nobody can make a decision

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

7,421 776
    Take what you are offered. Then if you get a decision on the other one then you can decide.
    4 interviews and they haven't made a decision yet? Does not sound the ideal organisation to work for.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

28,539 8,435
    4 interviews suggests they really aren't sure about you. I suspect one person wants you but others in the company aren't keen.

Take the other job.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. Marco Boogers

Marco Boogers UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 1
    You were right. Just got the call - didn't get the job

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: Marco Boogers Member since: Jan 20, 2018
  6. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

6,893 2,687
    Good employees are -
    • very rare!
    • hard to find
    • money-on-the-hoof!
    • worth the extra pay!

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  7. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

843 112
    Four interviews??? In my day job we screen by telephone interview, then face-to-face. I've *never* interviewed the same person more than once face-to-face. Sometimes we may decide they don't quite fit the role, but may be good fit elsewhere, in which case they will be offered an other face-to-face with a different team.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  8. lesliedocherty

lesliedocherty UKBF Ace Free Member

2,095 283
    Couldn't agree more, find a few and treat them well

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  9. Awinner2

Awinner2 UKBF Regular Free Member

219 34
    I know from extended family experience that the mighty Google will interview up to 7 times before offering a post. Although if you do get in the door they are a fantastic company to work for.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: Awinner2 Member since: Aug 4, 2017
  10. Toby Willows

Toby Willows UKBF Regular Free Member

760 164
    ******** to all of that. Fourth interview or more I’d stop after number two, it’s not just do they want you it’s equally do you want to work for them? And a fourth interview would suggest they are not worth working for. Unless.... it’s the like of Google where they have a process you go through and know that process will be lengthy from the off.

To many employers have watched to many episodes of The Apprentice and really do believe that’s the way to go. Muppetry.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: Toby Willows Member since: Jun 20, 2016
  11. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

6,893 2,687
    Employers are not 'Over-Lords' - they are merely the person or company that has put together that position of employment. You are no more the 'Lord of Creation' than you can levitate.

If you want to earn lots of money, make all those people that you look upon as your 'employees' as your partners.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013