International Bank Transfer - U.S. to U.K.

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Mr. R, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Mr. R

Mr. R UKBF Contributor Free Member

50 3
    Hey!

Can I bill customers in the U.S. for work I have done?

i.e. If I send them the details of my UK bank (account number and sort code) on an invoice, will they be able to pay the same way that a normal BACS would work from their (presumably) U.S. based account?

Is all banking compatible in this way? What are the tax implications? Is the same all over the world?

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: Mr. R Member since: Jan 14, 2009
  2. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,069 140
    A lot of US banks are still in the Stone age. A US customer tried to pay me by electronic banking and the bank wanted to issue a cheque! It took him 3 months to sort things out. Watch out for charges and conversions fess and who pays them. I have a $ Transferwise account which gives very good exchange rate and no fee.

Alternatively get them to pay by PayPal if you can stand the fees.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  3. Kevin McCabe

Kevin McCabe UKBF Contributor Free Member

58 3
    Yes. As long as you have an IBAN number and a SWIFT code you can do it. My lawyer is based in the US and I am based in London. It works fine.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 By: Kevin McCabe Member since: Jun 1, 2019
  4. Kevin McCabe

58 3
    I forgot to add, you can use virtual bank accounts, Payoneer or just have an online payment gateway.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 By: Kevin McCabe Member since: Jun 1, 2019
  5. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Regular Free Member

197 27
    Some painful hidden charges if they pay USD to GBP bank.

Get them to adopt transferwise for payment and the payments will arrive minus the pain.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  6. Kevin McCabe

58 3
    But with TrasnferWise you still need to pay transfer charges. Plus their exchange rates aren't the best. This is another hidden way they are making money.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 By: Kevin McCabe Member since: Jun 1, 2019
  7. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

9,048 3,541
    This!

Alternatively, I have been taking US dollar cheques since 1980 without any problem, paying them into a dollar account in Luxembourg.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  8. Kevin McCabe

58 3
    Smart

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 By: Kevin McCabe Member since: Jun 1, 2019
  9. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Regular Free Member

197 27
    The rates are extremely close to the median rate you see on xe so it's a lot more transparent than a banks. Between using a bank and TW I have saved over £5000 in fees since using TW.

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  10. Kevin McCabe

58 3
    Bank are criminal. Definitely I would take anything apart from a bank.

I topprd-up my account somewhere online for £0.60 and my UK bank charged me £1.50 for "international debit fee" which is ridiculous.

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 By: Kevin McCabe Member since: Jun 1, 2019
  11. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Regular Full Member

399 68
    You can, in general, transfer from any bank account anywhere to anywhere else. The major exceptions would 1) countries subject to US (because most banks follow US law) or UK sanctions and 2) countries with exchange controls (fewer than there used to be, and mostly on transfers out of the country).

In general, banks are a lot more expensive than transfer services so I would use something else. US tends to be particular expensive for anything international.

I use a Transferwise multi-currency account too. To them it looks like a dollar account in the US which is the advantage as its still a normal transfer to them.

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  12. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

9,048 3,541
    If you are dealing with lots of fiddly little payments in dollars and Euros and even Pounds and you have payments coming in and payments going out, it is normal for a company to not seek to exchange these payments but to just pay in and pay to and from pound, dollar and Euro accounts as needs arise.

For example - if we need widgets from Germany to be sent to our UK address, we order in the usual way and pay directly from our German Euro account. If we sell to Germany, we take the money in Euros to our German Euro account.

Obviously and over time, imbalances arise and cash for purchases needs to be released, so then and only then do we transfer larger lump sums.

UK banks are deliberately lethargic and old fashioned as that earns them considerable sums of money. And to be honest, each and every transaction has a marginal cost, albeit a small one, so it is reasonable for them to levy a single set fee when converting Euros to pounds or dollars.

If you are dealing with international clients who quite naturally expect to be able to pay in their own currency and not in something weird that features pictures of Mister Bun the Baker, it is necessary to have international banking facilities.

And if your company is accumulating cash that will be sitting still for over a year and you are looking for a safe haven in stormy times, a Swiss Franc account is a good idea.

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  13. Venturex Partners

Venturex Partners UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Mr R,

we have receiving bank accounts in the US, linked to your E-Wallet platform, for you to directly receive USD from customers out there. With the currency now within our payment ecosystem, it can be instantly exchanged into a currency of your choice, held within your E-Wallet, withdrawn to a bank account of your choice, or sent on to suppliers/distributors.

Far more competitive rates than high street banks, typically fee free, U.K. regulated service, SWIFT GPI for extremely fast payments.

Hope that helps.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 6:47 PM By: Venturex Partners Member since: Nov 11, 2019