India V China

Discussion in 'International Business' started by 101010, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Regular Free Member

322 48

I dislike Chinese products because China is a massive producer of fake branded goods so how can one ever know if an item is real. Another issue is the quality is never there for me compared to other places like Vietnam for trainers. I buy product from China too but I also buy from Korea, Russia and other countries. As a consumer I think it's important to know where something comes from and if it does not matter why do all products show a coo on label of goods. It's surely very important and retailers could then see if there customers were sensitive to such matters and it could help retain customers who would value that Info at point of purchase online.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  2. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,621 1,319
    China's growth is mainly due to the greed of the West (& the East) in wanting cheap goods.

There were many other factors (relevant to UK, but also elsewhere) which owed the decline of the manufacturing industry in those countries due to lack of investment, whether in machinery, R+D or a skilled workforce.

This year China has to contend with the 'mismanagement' of COVID-19, Xinjiang & Hong Kong, which have only surfaced this year.

Businesses can look elsewhere for production, including nearby countries such as Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar . . . . . .

What they will not now (and probably won't care) is that the majority of these factories that have opened within the past 5 years, are either China owned, China managed or have a vast reliance of China money and certainly a reliance on China components.

There is always going to be an argument of morals v price v a product being commercial.

Will people change completely and only buy from sustainable sources and ethically correct factories?

A few might.

These same people will 'happily' turn a blind eye to other world issues.

As I mentioned on another post, it will be an interesting 2-3 years ahead.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  3. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

5,621 1,319
    Simple solution.

Don't buy fakes.

The factories will close.

China now is not what China was 10 years ago.

4. Ray272

322 48

Agree with that yes, lot of Chinese opening up elsewhere. So are you going to ride it out or find some options and diversify?

5. Ray272

322 48
    Another good solution is to relocate all mnfr out of China. Like Adidas. So the Adidas I see coming from China are clearly risky. Lazada has a shipping from Indicator on its point of purchase. Nice feature

6. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

5,621 1,319
    It's ultimately up to the customers I supply.

Currently none have asked me to source elsewhere and that includes major brands that are involved in 'ethically sourced and sustainable' products.

Go figure.

I am looking at alternate countries in case they start to want to move things out of China.

Will they be happy with China backed factories?

Not sure.

7. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

5,621 1,319
    All? Wish you luck!

Lazada - Another China owned business!!

You won't escape them, no matter how hard you try!

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  8. Ray272

322 48
    So what you handling all the ISO9000 stuff. Ethical sourcing. Site visits from marks and sparks type stuff?

I think a Chinese led biz in another country is smart if they have the expertise then what's the problem. Actually I'd say that's a bonus and a good trade off. Old hand new location. Could be right up your street that Ron.

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  9. Ray272

322 48
    Let's see how it unfolds over the next 24 months.

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  10. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

5,621 1,319
    Many large businesses prefer to work with Hong Kong companies, as (they think) this distances themselves from China 'and all it's ills".

How wrong they can be.

What price for morals?

That's (sadly) the ultimate question.

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  11. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Regular Full Member

369 79
    China can make cheap products, but at same time, China can make expensive products. It depends on customers' needs. All my clients ask me to source good quality products, so, we stay away from the cheap factories and do solid quality inspections.

It's possible to buy very good products from China, depending on how much you want to pay on products themselves and quality control.

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012
  12. QPLAST

QPLAST UKBF Contributor Free Member

39 5
    I have a manufacturing company in India, so it might sound I am supporting India but the reality is:

China grew economically very big because they delivered cheaper products with compared to any other country in the world. In this process many companies shut thier factory across the world because they could not compete China. Most of the UK manufacturers either shut or shifted elsewhere for the same reason.

You can find many article about several incidents, where Chinese manufacturers did not follow copy rights or did not took care of human rights. During Covid 19, some of the US and japanese companies are trying to move out of china for their own reasons.

Atleast now, people are looking for alternative to China even with an additional cost.

There will always be few good company in China and some products only available in China mainly because of the raw material being available in China .

Every customer is different, for some it's economic, for some it's moral and ethics. For some its more on charity.

With respect to furniture, India does produce a lot of furniture both modern and traditional hand made design.

You can always explore the options you have and decide based on what you can sell.

Good luck
    Deepak

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 By: QPLAST Member since: Aug 22, 2018