Improving my website

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Highland Spring, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Highland Spring

Highland Spring UKBF Regular Full Member

155 12
    Hi,

I've been developing my site for the last 6 months, I've now listed all 4million UK companies, traffic has grown steadily but not dramatically.

Nearly all traffic comes from long tail phrases for example
    https://www.reportingaccounts.com/uk/03230061/sift-ltd here is the listing for Sift.

What do members think would most improve the content? I am working on adding financials from Companies house but it is taking time to extract and convert to a useful format, which I can keep up to date.

Thanks

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 By: Highland Spring Member since: Jan 20, 2018
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! { Moderator }

34,229 10,156
    What’s the purpose of the site?

It doesn’t really tell me anything I can’t get already.

My company isn’t listed. The ads you showed me were for a dating site! This doesn’t help your credibility.

It also looks very cheap and homemade. The google custom search for example. And you have a bunch of 404 links in the footer.

The whole thing looks designed to get me to click on your adverts rather than provide a useful and unique service.

Posted: Aug 4, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. james_firmsites

james_firmsites UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

596 152
    Neither is mine, I hope this does not trigger a existential crisis

Posted: Aug 4, 2018 By: james_firmsites Member since: Dec 20, 2012
  4. arnydnxluk

arnydnxluk Guest

0 0
    Sorry but I'm also failing to see the purpose of the website as it stands. I have come across similar sites to yours in the past but they at least have some unique features such as financial charts, contact details, social media details and more. Right now your website is showing the exact same information as available on Companies House but in a more difficult to read format.

If you want to create some value you need to extract every bit of data from Companies House and present it in a much better format complete with charts etc, you may then find businesses who are willing to pay for this service (example: https://companycheck.co.uk/).

The one in your signature is listed at /uk/07854842/firmsites-ltd .... it's the search function which is useless! @Highland Spring Google aren't going to index the company pages until you're linking to them internally, or someone links externally... for your use case it would be best to develop your own search function in my opinion.

Edit - what's your goal for the website?

Posted: Aug 6, 2018 By: arnydnxluk Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  5. james_firmsites

james_firmsites UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

596 152
    I exist!!! Thank you Mike :)

Posted: Aug 6, 2018 By: james_firmsites Member since: Dec 20, 2012
  6. Highland Spring

Highland Spring UKBF Regular Full Member

155 12
    Thanks guys.

I have 38 databases of data to combine together, but I am taking it step by step. Companies house data is mostly pdf format which is not easy to extract as fast as it gets filed. I am working on it though.

Google powers the custom search but only about 100K pages are indexed so far hence the limited coverage of it.

Posted: Aug 6, 2018 By: Highland Spring Member since: Jan 20, 2018
  7. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,756 1,865
    I know you asked about content which I don't know but in terms of improvement
    1. I's suggest you employ a designer to do the design elements, and get rid of amateur looking things ( like white square background to favicon )
    2. Replace the Google Search with a decent internal search engine
    3. Employ a UX expert to work out the optimum layouts
    4. If the business plan is to make money out of Adsense, don't get banned by breaking their rules ( e.g. your privacy policy doesn't work, you don't notify about the doublecklick cookie etc )

Posted: Aug 6, 2018 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  8. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! { Moderator }

34,229 10,156
    Don’t use Google search.

But as the others have said, I can’t see the point of the site.

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006