Improving my Website

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Ashley_Price, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Ashley_Price

Ashley_Price UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

7,114 1,309
    Gosh... one of my rare adventures into this area of UKBF.

Okay, so my website is as per the link in the signature below. Before anyone asks, it was designed using Weebly.com.

I am assuming it needs some work because I am not getting as much business as I would like, and my hit rate isn't that brilliant (although, with the service I offer, I don't expect to be getting hundreds of hits a week).

However, I know that a couple of my competitors are getting far more business in than I am.

Having done some research, I notice some of my competitors actually have a page for each of their services, and then each of those is broken down. For example, they have a section on "Video transcription" then that is broken down to pages on "Transcribing TV programmes", "YouTube Transcription", "Transcriptions for movies"... etc. And then within the descriptions they use the same or similar phrases over and over. For example, in the first five lines of one paragraph they have used "videos professionally transcribed" "videos transcribed" "video transcripts" as well as "transcripts", "text", etc.

I know they also do a lot of social media posting (which I know doesn't affect search engine ranking) which I have tried previously and I haven't found works for me.

So, anyone got any advice on how I can improve my site?

Posted: Nov 15, 2017 By: Ashley_Price Member since: Feb 9, 2008
  2. finleydesign

finleydesign UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

605 128
    Let me put it a different way

I've been using an audio typing service now for some months, they are free, but have noticed that the results are horrible and constantly horrible, other companies seem to be getting better results, but they must be using free services as well?

What advice would you give me to improve on this free service I get from them, can you advise me on how to get better results from this Audio typing company I use for free?

Posted: Nov 15, 2017 By: finleydesign Member since: Mar 15, 2012
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,926 9,061
    People will only ever be in your site because they want something transcribing. If they even use that word.

So your job it to convince them you can do just that for the particular audio/video file they have.

On your services page you have a list. That should be on the homepage along with a list of all the media types you can access.

You also need a separate page for each type of document (with case studies) for google to index and rank. Except of course it's weebly so google will ignore these new pages.

Add more content to sell your services. Use words real people use (your telephone enquiries will identify these).

Bin the blog

Add your contact details in the header, the footer, the content, on your forehead, the side of the car .

Posted: Nov 15, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. Ashley_Price

7,114 1,309
    I don't know of any audio transcription service that is free. Some are cheaper than me (some are more expensive).

The thing is the service you are using isn't free. Okay, you are not paying money to them, but how much time are you having to spend to correct the work they done for you? Is that time you could be using to do billable work for clients? If so, your normal charge for that time is what you are paying for the "free" service.

What sort of audio typing are you having done?

Are the recordings you provide to the service clear and of high quality with all participants easy to hear and understand?

My suggestion would be to find a service who you pay, but then give excellent service. Who? Oh I don't know, how about one who is used by the European HR department of a major airline, and an international branding agency (offices in the UK and America). :)

5. Ashley_Price

7,114 1,309
    I try and use both "audio typing" and "transcription" (and variants of that word) throughout the website, as I have found most people that need the service do use those words. Although, when I have talked to others and said I provide "audio typing" or "transcription" services, some have asked me what that is. So, I guess I should include other descriptions of what I do.

I will change the list to the homepage now*.

I am intrigued as to why Google ignores Weebly? The site is designed using Weebly, but it is on my own website address - not a ".weebly.com" address.

Will make those changes now*. Although I am now moping up blood from trying to staple a Post-it Note to my head, as it wouldn't stick. And I don't drive, so don't have a car.

(* Well, I would have made those changes now, but weebly, for some reason, is having a bit of an issue at the moment.)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  6. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

3,046 1,096
    Did you hear the point @finleydesign made whistling, as it flew over your head? :D

Posted: Nov 15, 2017 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  7. Ashley_Price

7,114 1,309
    No, I must have been ducking at the time...

8. fisicx

30,926 9,061
    It's because of how Weebly is constructed. It make most of your content almost unindexable.

9. Ashley_Price

7,114 1,309
    So, basically, get it redesigned - not using weebly? If so, that will have to wait a while because of finances. In the meantime, do we know how to get round that problem within Weebly?

With regards the blog, that is something I use to get people to visit from Linkedin. I post links to the articles, and they do get a few people going to the articles.

10. fisicx

30,926 9,061
    with a bit of help you could get a wordpress site installed and configured with a similar theme in a couple of hours. I bet if you asked here someone would do it for mates rates in exchange for a picture of you with a post it stapled to your forehead.
    How many of them become clients?

11. Ashley_Price

7,114 1,309
    You beat me to it, @fisicx - I was just about to ask if Wordpress is the answer. I will have to look into that. Everyone says how easy it is.

None yet, as far as I know.

12. Ashley_Price

7,114 1,309
    I have been having a look at Wordpress, but also the Weebly problem.

There seems to be a lot of advice out there for how to get a weebly site higher up search rankings etc. (filling in the relevant parts of the weebly settings, using Google Webmaster tools, and so on).

For now, I will try all the advice, and get the site as good as it can be in this respect. Then I can visit Wordpress again (it doesn't seem too difficult to learn) if I feel it's needed.

But going back to something you said, @fisicx - so you think I should have pages for each of the different things I can do, like my competitors have?

13. Ashley_Price

7,114 1,309
    I am assuming times have changed regarding this point. I contacted Weebly direct, and they have just replied: "That's not correct; unless you choose to block a particular page or your site as a whole from indexing, there's nothing about a site built with us that would prevent a search engine from crawling the site."

14. AllUpHere

3,046 1,096
    You asked the wrong question. Of course the pages can be crawled, but that's not the point.

15. Ashley_Price

7,114 1,309
    I pasted exactly what Fisicx stated. I said to Weebly, I have been told that "because of how Weebly is constructed, it makes most of your content almost unindexable" is this true?

If that is wrong... what is the question I should be asking?

16. finleydesign

finleydesign UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

605 128
    I'll ask again Ashley as you might of missed it, and if you can answer this completely impartially and honestly, you're on your way to fixing the issue

I've been using an audio typing service now for some months, they are free, but have noticed that the results are horrible and constantly horrible, other companies seem to be getting better results, but they must be using free services as well?

What advice would you give me to improve on this free service I get from them, can you advise me on how to get better results from this Audio typing company I use for free?

Posted: Nov 15, 2017 By: finleydesign Member since: Mar 15, 2012
  17. fisicx

30,926 9,061
    my mistake, got weebly mixed with other site builders. However, that change the fact that weebly lacks a lot of the key ranking signals that google is looking for.

18. Scott@KarmaContent

[email protected] UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

742 319
    How is it free? I take it that it's an automated app of some sort and not a human transcribing?

Why are you still using it?

Posted: Nov 15, 2017 By: [email protected] Member since: Jun 24, 2014
  19. Ashley_Price

7,114 1,309
    I am confused as I did reply to this at 9:39am and tagged you into the message.

20. AllUpHere

3,046 1,096
    And it's just flown straight over your head again. :)