Importing wooden goods from China into the UK

Discussion in 'International Business' started by nowtie, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nowtie

nowtie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 0
    Hi
    I'm new to imports and need some advice. I'm going to source some suppliers in Fuzhou, China in a few weeks time. I'm sourcing wooden boxes (gifts) but am worried about the feasability of importing wood into the UK. I read that for certain wood you must have an import licence from the Forestry Commission. The wood I was planning to import is Chinese Fir. Does anyone have any experience with importing wooden gifts into the UK and know whether this is true? I'm hopefully appointing a forwarding agent in the UK so perhaps they sort all this out on my behalf?

Any other advice about importing wood products would be helpful!

Thank you in advance

Posted: Mar 8, 2010 By: nowtie Member since: Mar 8, 2010
  2. Wavecrest Ltd

Wavecrest Ltd UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

739 137
    Hi there - if you're importing manufactured wood products you should be fine. The Forestry Commission mainly look out for untreated lumber that has bark on and packing materials (e.g. cases, crates, palllets) made from untreated wood.

to set your mind at rest you can always give the Forestry Commission a quick call. They are quite helpfull folk.

Glen

Posted: Mar 9, 2010 By: Wavecrest Ltd Member since: Oct 31, 2007
  3. nowtie

nowtie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 0
    Thanks for the advice Glen, yes I did see a lot about wood packaging in my research.

Posted: Mar 9, 2010 By: nowtie Member since: Mar 8, 2010
  4. lilysong

lilysong UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    I think you might need fumigation before shipping, you can claim the factory to do it. I sold wood arts in Fuzhou China before. And most these items needs it. Others I really have no idea. Since I export, not import ever.

Good luck with you!

Posted: May 24, 2010 By: lilysong Member since: May 24, 2010
  5. Paul Kelly ICHYB

Paul Kelly ICHYB UKBF Legend { Moderator }

5,939 857
    As mentioned, I am also sure you will not need a specific license, however, it will need to be treated and be certified as such! I believe it is called a phytosanitary cert (this is the same for any 'living item' suc as fruit, veg etc).

Posted: May 24, 2010 By: Paul Kelly ICHYB Member since: Jan 21, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.