Importing from Poland to the UK

Discussion in 'International Business' started by dagsky, Dec 4, 2015.

1. dagsky

dagsky UKBF Contributor Free Member

Hey all, just need some information on importing some products from Poland to the UK. I've tried to get this info from hmrc but i've got conflicting advice on both calls!

I intend on importing hand held blenders from Poland (made in Germany), the Polish company does not import to the UK, i will need to go over to Poland pay for the goods and then either take the goods with me in my van or they will put it on a pallet and allow a courier to pick it up for me. As i am NOT VAT registered i will be paying VAT in Poland and they will be giving me a VAT invoice for the goods.

The HMRC person said i need an EORI number & then the next said i need to report it on INTRASTAT. The value of goods is £11K, intrastat says you report over £1.5m?

So my questions are, what paperwork to i need to have with the goods besides the VAT invoice?
    Do i need an EORI number?
    Do i need to report to intrastat?
    Should i collect the goods myself and bring them back or should i just get a pallet courier to bring it back? If i use a courier what additional paperwork will i need to organise for them if any?

Posted: Dec 4, 2015 By: dagsky Member since: Oct 7, 2007
  2. mzone

mzone UKBF Regular Full Member

Have you spoken with a company you want buy staff from?
    They suppose to advise you what transit documents you need, you need polish translator a Can help with that send me PM.

Posted: Dec 5, 2015 By: mzone Member since: Dec 3, 2011
  3. hongfunclothing

hongfunclothing UKBF Contributor Free Member

I think you can find a reliable trading company in Poland , the trading company will do the delivery and prepare the documents for you

Posted: Dec 9, 2015 By: hongfunclothing Member since: Oct 16, 2014
  4. PowerForwarding

PowerForwarding UKBF Regular Free Member

Nothing is required, just a straight movement as within the EU. Any forwarder should be able to get you a rate ex Poland to UK.

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 By: PowerForwarding Member since: Jun 9, 2011
  5. JackE250

JackE250 UKBF Contributor Free Member

I import from Poland regularly, almost weekly. Value of the products I import are in the region of 4000 - 10000 euro.

I buy them excluding vat, the parcels are collected with DPD and delivered to the UK.

You should not need any of the above, as powerforwarding mentioned it is within the EU so no fees to pay and straight forward.

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 By: JackE250 Member since: Nov 7, 2012
  6. Peter Durrant

Peter Durrant UKBF Regular Free Member

Simple stuff, find a good quote and go ahead - EU so isn't too complicated - I wish you luck

Posted: Dec 16, 2015 By: Peter Durrant Member since: Sep 23, 2015
  7. jjoj

jjoj UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I'm not sure why you would need to pay first. You can use an Escrow service. You post the cash.... receive the goods and then release the cash.

With the transit. I agree with most people here, get it delivered. I know a company in and around Krakow that I've recommended in the past that will take care of anything for you. I live out there and one of my friends just happens to be a coordinator there.

Posted: Dec 16, 2015 By: jjoj Member since: Dec 15, 2015
  8. mzone

Would you sell anything expensive to another country without proper payment? I don't.
    If you offer that to any company in Poland, they will not sell you anything, specially if that is your first order.

I think Escrow is good for one purchase, not for long business use.

Posted: Dec 17, 2015 By: mzone Member since: Dec 3, 2011
  9. jjoj

jjoj UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Escrow is often used for businesses that don't know each other. It helps to build trust on payments that are considered large. Banks in Poland often promote such services if the selling company are using the bank for cash flow to purchase the products from Germany

If you're happy to go over the Poland to just make a payment then fine, do that. But if you don't then I'd recommend an Escrow service. I've set this up between a UK distributor of sheep skin rugs and a Polish producer and it worked for them, now they're happy to invoice as they've built their business relationship.

Posted: Dec 17, 2015 By: jjoj Member since: Dec 15, 2015
  10. mzone

All depends what you want to buy from Poland.
    If you place an order worth £ 2 000, seller want money first before dispatch goods.

You don't have to go to Poland to make a Payment, but anyway, you do business with an new company from another country you better go abroad to check is that ok, don't do anything on the phone or online.

I don't say Escrow will be bad for business, just saying some company from Poland may not be happy to use that option.

Posted: Dec 17, 2015 By: mzone Member since: Dec 3, 2011
  11. Marek Skoczylas

Marek Skoczylas UKBF Regular Free Member

Hello. I'm native Pole. If you need any help in polish market let me know. I can help you for free - I check the credibility of the company for example.

I'm also plannig move to UK, and with the same concept as yours import goods form Poland to UK.

With a very good knowledge of the Polish market, I am able to buy high quality goods for really low price.

One firend of mine run similar bussines in Manchester. He buys car trailers from the polish manufacturer and sell it online.

Buying for 250£ and selling for almost 750£.

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 By: Marek Skoczylas Member since: Jan 4, 2016
  12. AndrewJohnson

AndrewJohnson UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Nice business Marek.

Posted: Jan 6, 2016 By: AndrewJohnson Member since: Jan 6, 2016
  13. Marek Skoczylas

Marek Skoczylas UKBF Regular Free Member

As you can see, importing from Poland and selling in England its most effective when native Englishman an native Pole works together. There is a tone of goods can be import.

For example: friend of mine is office containers manufacturer. His price for basic one is 2000£, same unit cost 3900-5000£ in UK.

Transport price equals - 1000£ for two pieces.

There is a tone of examples.

Posted: Jan 7, 2016 By: Marek Skoczylas Member since: Jan 4, 2016
  14. arasca1975

arasca1975 UKBF Newcomer Full Member

Hi to all
    i am going to import some goods from Poland, i am not VAT registered in UK but i have EORI number, the company told me that if i am not registered VAT they will add 23%, my question is can i use my EORI number? second question is if i can not use EORI number how do i claim the 23%?
    Thanks

Posted: May 10, 2016 By: arasca1975 Member since: Oct 18, 2014
  15. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck? Full Member - Verified Business

If you are not VAT registered, your supplier will charge you VAT at the rate that applies in your suppliers country.
    Your EORI number is nothing to do with VAT.

The only way you can reclaim VAT is to register for VAT. If you do, you will have to charge VAT on your sales.

Posted: May 10, 2016 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011
  16. CE SOL Ltd

CE SOL Ltd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi,
    We placed an order with a Polish supplier for 150pcs of a part at £70each
    The parts were quoted as brand new in sealed boxes.
    We paid 50% in advance and balance once we had seen approved pictures.

The parts arrived. The date code on the parts does not match the box date code. They clearly are not new and sealed as advised. We had all the parts have been lab tested, only 90pcs past the electrical testing.

We now wish to return the 60 faulty parts for refund. The supplier is refusing to return the funds for the parts and will only offer replacement goods. With a 40% failure rate we do not want replacements. Where do we stand on getting our money back? Any help greatly appreciated.

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: CE SOL Ltd Member since: Feb 9, 2018
  17. mzone

Where did you found this supplier, is than any big company?

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: mzone Member since: Dec 3, 2011
  18. CE SOL Ltd

CE SOL Ltd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

We found them online and have spoken to other UK suppliers who have dealt with them. They are VAT registered, so did not think it would be a problem. We did not expect to be supplied with faulty parts. They are just not being reasonable

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: CE SOL Ltd Member since: Feb 9, 2018