Importing from China for the first time ? This might help.

Discussion in 'New to import/export? Read these before posting' started by Import Expert, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donnakebabnew

donnakebabnew UKBF Newcomer Free Member

43 0
    Thanks for sharing. I have just received my first order via sea freight and with all the extra costs on top to import I have now worked out that on most items the cost was exactly the same as when I shipped via air although 1 product came in 3p cheaper which isn't really something to write home about! I now have to find room for 16 boxes when before I would order on a smaller scale of 3 boxes.

To sum this up for me I can not really see that this has worked out any cheaper for me and I now have more stock!!

Just thought I would share with you .

Kind Regards
    Donna

Posted: Apr 18, 2013 By: donnakebabnew Member since: Nov 2, 2009
  2. Wavecrest Ltd

Wavecrest Ltd UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

732 135
    When you're ready to place your next order :) if you'd like to get in touch, I will be able to give you an inclusive shipping quote so you can judge how much your costs will be before making a decision on the shipping method.

Glen

Posted: Apr 18, 2013 By: Wavecrest Ltd Member since: Oct 31, 2007
  3. amac

amac UKBF Regular Full Member

426 32
    I also import from China. Another good resource I've found useful is CreditEyes. They are a credit report company - like Experian, DnB, Duedil etc in China. You can order reports on Chinese suppliers - useful for importing obviously.

Posted: Apr 18, 2013 By: amac Member since: Dec 31, 2011
  4. Directimport

Directimport UKBF Regular Free Member

343 52
    Hi Donna,
    You have learned your first lesson about importing, but at least it did not cost you.

As I wrote in an earlier post: "If the shipment is coming by sea, or by air freight, there could be some surprises this end, and in that case finding a UK freight forwarder might be a good idea." Via air courier is another issue.

I teach my book readers that they should not place an order until they know the total freight costs involved, including inland charges on the supply end as well as broker's fees this end. All quotes must be in writing or you could still get an even nastier shock.

Having run an exporting business from 1978 to 1987, then an importing business from 1987 to my retirement, I often found air freight to be a better option, even air courier if the consignments are not too big and your supplier has obtained a good deal from the courier service.

Freight rates are very negotiable, and because of the sheer volume of shipments sent out by some suppliers, the rates they can get can be surprising low. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of knowing all costs before ordering and it is imperative to get everything in writing.

Also, ensure that everything to do with freight is included in your order. Dot every i and cross every t.

When comparing costs of sea or air freight options, always take into account the opportunity cost. That is, what return you could obtain from the use of the money during the much longer shipping time if using sea freight. In your case it also demonstrates the need to consider the opportunity cost of the financing of the larger stock purchase.

Posted: Apr 19, 2013 By: Directimport Member since: Feb 24, 2013
  5. Mark luies

Mark luies Guest

1 1
    Thanks Darren, you have highlighted some very useful points which everyone should take into consideration before importing goods from China amongst other countries.**The most important thing is to find genuine, reliable and good suppliers; one cannot visit each and every country from where one is importing goods Though one can get help from many trusted B2B portals like gloubalsources.com*and*mangob2b.com.**Since suppliers and manufacturers are rated according to client feedback which helps buyers to choose the best form them thus reducing the risk.

Posted: May 9, 2013 By: Mark luies Member since: May 9, 2013
  6. Directimport

343 52
    Many people are not aware that there is a big online industry involving low cost purchases being paid for by the vendors in order to guarantee glowing feedback.

The same applies to reviews. Some people make good money posting excellent reviews.

There is no substitute for doing your own careful research and due diligence.

Posted: May 10, 2013 By: Directimport Member since: Feb 24, 2013
  7. Directimport

343 52
    Many people are not aware that there is a big online industry involving low cost purchases being paid for by the vendors in order to guarantee glowing feedback.

The same applies to reviews. Some people make good money posting excellent reviews.

On my website I publish some testimonials and I do something that is rare, in fact I have never seen it done anywhere else. I offer to promptly provide proof of authenticity to any appropriate legal authority in any jurisdiction including the UK. I do this because I know that many online testimonials are fake, but mine are genuine.

There is no substitute for doing your own careful research and due diligence.

Posted: May 10, 2013 By: Directimport Member since: Feb 24, 2013
  8. bharatbooks

bharatbooks UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 0
    Thank for this thread, actually it is very much in the detailed that understands total process of importing. is there nay one who can suggest good freight service.

Posted: May 11, 2013 By: bharatbooks Member since: Sep 24, 2011
  9. Wavecrest Ltd

Wavecrest Ltd UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

732 135
    We have been shipping freight from China since 1994. If anyone needs any advice, please feel free to contact us.

Glen

Posted: May 13, 2013 By: Wavecrest Ltd Member since: Oct 31, 2007
  10. Directimport

343 52
    Credit Eyes is a Chinese company whose website is in Chinese. Translations from Chinese can be very confusing. I have tried unsuccessfully to establish the credentials of Credit Eyes and therefore would not place reliance on their reports. They may be well established and reliable, but I would need convincing.

I would suggest careful due diligence on any prospective supplier.

Posted: May 14, 2013 By: Directimport Member since: Feb 24, 2013
  11. Myles_Robinson

Myles_Robinson UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 2
    Had some great help and info from Darren at Woodland Global ( user Import Expert) on importing something from China for the first time, thanks!

Posted: May 23, 2013 By: Myles_Robinson Member since: May 9, 2013
  12. JEKP

JEKP UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 2
    Darren, thank you for your post! It is very useful indeed!

I wonder if you or anyone here could help me with the simplest way to deal with VAT and to structure a company that is based outside of the UK/EU that will import electronic products from China into the UK to be sold to retailers.

- Our company is HK registered, 2 directors, both currently live in Hong Kong. 1 is a HK citizen, and the other a British Citizen (me).
    - We will ship the goods by air using courier door to door service.

Do I still need to apply for an EORI number?

My understanding is that my co. cannot register a VAT account and I have to pay duty and import VAT (20%) as soon as the goods arrived in UK, is that correct?

If yes, how do I claim back my VAT when I am selling to the retailers? It doesn't make sense to me that both me and my consumers need to pay VAT...

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could explain to me how the VAT 'cycle' works for imported goods. Ideally help me to understand which point VAT is paid/processed. i.e:

- how does the whole process of reclaiming import VAT as input tax work?
    - If I sold my goods to retailer, I will be able to claim back the Import VAT if I have a register VAT account, is that correct?
    - When would I able to claim back the money?
    - When selling to retailers in the UK, do I need to issue them a VAT receipt so they can claim back tax? So that I can also claim back the tax as well?

Regarding the company structure,
    Is it possible for foreign companies to be a supplier in the UK without going through a 3rd party agent or distributor? In order to gain full control of this and not pay a commission, does setting up a limited company in the UK make sense?

Many thanks for any help you're able to give me, or any links you may link me to. It is greatly appreciated! As you can tell I am somewhat new to importing into the UK as a foreign company.

Kind regards,
    JE

Posted: May 27, 2013 By: JEKP Member since: May 27, 2013
  13. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck? Full Member - Verified Business

4,922 1,052
    Hello JE,

you should create a new thread on the International Forum with the same copy as you have here. Few people will look at a sticky if they have already looked at it once, so you are reducing your chances of getting the answers

G

Posted: May 27, 2013 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011
  14. JEKP

24 2
    Thanks G!

I just posted a new thread in the International Business Forum, so hopefully someone could help me..

Thanks again!

Posted: May 28, 2013 By: JEKP Member since: May 27, 2013
  15. rainbow 26963

rainbow 26963 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    just came on this site for some info.i plan on going to china in a few months and want to buy a headstone.ive had a quote from a factory in fujian around £1.500 its says term cif. it will be shipped to belfast.extra local costs will be THC £55 w/m DOC £95/bill isps £65/bill loading fee £40 w/m HC £55/bill ERS £15.TAX NOT INCLUDED.the weight is 1.6 ton .do i have to pay any other costs when it arrives here or do i just add 20% on to the above costs?do i need an EORI number and freight forwarder not even sure where to get one of those or how much they cost.sorry for all the questions but i just dont know where to start any advice would be very welcome many thanks for your time.

Posted: Jun 7, 2013 By: rainbow 26963 Member since: Jun 7, 2013
  16. JEKP

24 2
    Rainbow,

You should create a new thread like I did, more people will respond.

If you goggle UK freight forwarder, there should be quite a few, I am also very new to importing into the UK, but I think if you found a freight forwarder and give them the details about your shipment, they will then give you a quote on the freight cost and other handling cost...etc.

I am sorry but I don't really know what cif is, but you should ask your supplier does the cost include local (China) courier cost, otherwise ask them FOB cost, which means the supplier will also be responsible for delivering your goods to the port.

Yes, you will need EORI number and you need to pay import VAT (20%) and also import duty tax, this depends on the characteristic of your goods.

This is all I know, hope it helps you. JE

Posted: Jun 7, 2013 By: JEKP Member since: May 27, 2013
  17. Henry Osadzinski

Henry Osadzinski UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,459 1,135
    Hi folks,

Great to see this thread has been helpful to a lot of people :) We'll be leaving it up as a sticky but closing it to further comments. If you have a question or comment leading on from the advice given, feel free to start a new thread. If you like what people are saying in here, you can show your appreciation through the Thanks button.

Thanks for reading!

Posted: Jun 10, 2013 By: Henry Osadzinski Member since: Aug 30, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.