Importing from China directly...or "middle man"?

Discussion in 'International Business' started by treez, May 23, 2020 at 7:19 PM.

1. treez

treez UKBF Contributor Free Member

79 2
    We wish to start a commercial brewery in UK, brewing beer from hops which we intend to buy in.

An old acquaintance has offered to sell us commercial scale beer brewing equipment , which he “middle mans” in from China. He tells us that we must pay him as a middle man because it would be too risky for us to try and directly approach a Chinese Brewery equipment manufacturer ourselves.

He says that he has contacts in China who have already allowed him to “middle man” vast quantities of Chinese equipment into UK…and he has UK references to say that these shipments have been well received by a wide range of UK customers. In particular, he once shipped in an enormous quantity of electronics roadsigns into the UK, for purchase by the UK highways agency…all these shipments went well.

As such, we should buy from him, and not try to buy direct from china…would you agree?

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 7:19 PM By: treez Member since: Mar 9, 2019
  2. RobinBHM

RobinBHM UKBF Regular Free Member

278 97
    buying direct is not the way to do business in China -if the middle man is experienced, his commission will be worth its weight in gold for sure.

there are some guys on here who run successful businesses importing from China -do listen to their advice.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 7:39 PM By: RobinBHM Member since: Apr 14, 2012
  3. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,359 1,250
    No.

I wouldn't buy from any guy that tells you that nonsense.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 8:13 PM By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  4. treez

treez UKBF Contributor Free Member

79 2
    Thanks, these two posts have been conflicting and now we wonder how to get this commercial brewing equipment from China?

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 9:04 PM By: treez Member since: Mar 9, 2019
  5. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,359 1,250
    If you're wandering . . . . "how to get this commercial brewing equipment from China", maybe you shouldn't get involved until you have completed your research for the products you require, including (but not limited to) potential suppliers, costs involved, quality, sampling, warranty, due diligence . . . . . and the list goes on.

There's nothing wrong with using an agent when buying from China, but don't believe what someone tells you without you knowing A -Z about the products you are buying.

If your procurement is based on an old acquaintance telling you that you should use him, then that's for you to decide if that's the right thing to do.

Due diligence is required when buying from China, whether that's buying direct from a factory or using an agent.

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 12:33 AM By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  6. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

21,996 2,586
    Using someone else - agent, friend etc - makes things easier for you.
    Costs more but you do not have all the same hassle.

Comes down to trust - do your due diligence on him if you trust him or find someone else.

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 9:20 AM By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017