Importing electrical machines

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Eddin, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Eddin

Eddin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi All,
    Do I need to check if the items I want to import from china are compatible with UK standards? If yes, could you please guide me what to do.
    Thanks
    Eddin

Posted: Dec 18, 2017 By: Eddin Member since: Dec 10, 2017
  2. consultant

consultant I Can Help Your Business Staff Member

Dependant on the item, they will need at least CE approval.

You are responsible for the items when they hit the UK, so be VERY diligent!

Posted: Dec 18, 2017 By: consultant Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  3. Eddin

Thank you for your reply, it's electrical machine which have AC motor.
    Could you please advise me how to apply for CE certificate and is it required to clear the goods from port.
    Thanks
    Eddin

Posted: Dec 18, 2017 By: Eddin Member since: Dec 10, 2017
  4. FPF_James

FPF_James UKBF Newcomer Full Member

Hi Eddin,

I would urge you to do suitable research on the manufacturer and to ensure that any CE documentation/certification are genuine. Ask plenty of questions, request copies of certificates and ensure you are aware of any specific requirements to import goods into the UK. Trading Standards are very helpful and will be able to assist you with any questions you may have about meeting specific criteria.

Just recently a client asked us to arrange the customs clearance of a sea freight import consignment from China. The customs entry was made and Duty/VAT paid - but the shipment was placed on a "Route 1S" hold, meaning Trading Standards wanted to make checks. Further documents were requested from the manufacturer (via the client) and it transpired that the required documents could not be produced by the manufacturer, despite them giving assurances to the client.

Situations such as these can be very expensive, with additional costs, such as warehouse storage, examination fees, destruction or additional shipping fees being applied.

Hope this helps, please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Kind regards
    James

Posted: Dec 18, 2017 By: FPF_James Member since: Dec 18, 2017
  5. consultant

consultant I Can Help Your Business Staff Member

James is right.

The first question to ask them is if they already supply anyone in the EU. If they do not, it is unlikely that they will have CE tested the item. If they say yes, ask for more details.

Posted: Dec 19, 2017 By: consultant Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  6. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Regular Free Member

A lot of Chinese companies used to ask what you wanted printed on an item, the old joke was that CE meant Chinese export. As importer everything is on you, make sure the certificates are valid as mentioned.

Posted: Dec 19, 2017 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  7. Eddin

Thanks all, I asked the question and they said that non of their European customers asked before for CE certificate and they can do it for me but it will cost at least $8000
    So I asked them what kind of documents do you usually provide you European customers and now waiting their answer...
    I'll check also if they can provide me with contact details of one customer so I can check with him.
    I'll come back once they answer me.
    Thanks a lot
    Eddin

Posted: Dec 19, 2017 By: Eddin Member since: Dec 10, 2017
  8. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

None of their European customers have asked about CE certificate? That sounds like 'the cheque is in the mail' or a girl saying 'I'll be ready to go in 5 minutes'.

Posted: Dec 19, 2017 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  9. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Regular Free Member

They are lying.

Posted: Dec 19, 2017 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  10. FPF_James

FPF_James UKBF Newcomer Full Member

Sounds like they want you to pay for their company to get CE approval status. Bear in mind once they have this, they can sell legally to anyone in Europe and you would have paid for this.

Ask yourself, if none of their other European customers have queried the CE status before, does that mean they are selling goods which are not compliant?

Also if they were already approved, surely it would just be a case of scanning you a copy of the cerificate(s) and not asking for $8k?

Their response to you, would concern me by way of any issue that was identified with one of their products. How would they handle returns or refunds? Remember as you are the importer, you are responsible for making sure that the goods you are importing into the UK/EU meet all relevant criteria. The last thing you want is for HMRC/Border Force/Trading Standards refusing entry and the goods being destroyed.

Posted: Dec 19, 2017 By: FPF_James Member since: Dec 18, 2017
  11. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Regular Full Member

Sounds like they want you to pay for their company to get CE approval status. Bear in mind once they have this, they can sell legally to anyone in Europe and you would have paid for this.
    ------- If you pay for CE certificate, surely you should show your company name on certificate not factory name, so, you own the certificate. Therefore, factory cannot use your certificate to help their other clients to sell legally in Europe.
    -------- My guess is that the factory is telling truth. It does happens often that some importers do not require CE certificate to sell in Europe, as actually CE is "self-claimed", not mandatory like FDA. However, as mentioned in other posts, it's risky not to have a CE certificate as you are liable for any consequences such as human injury.
    ------- If your order will be big enough, I'd suggest you sign a contract with factory that you pay $8000 to get CE certificate but get refund at an accumulated order QTY (such as 10K pcs, or so).

Posted: Dec 20, 2017 By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012
  12. TTC

TTC UKBF Newcomer Free Member

James and Maple are right. You need to apply this CE with your own company name on it or the factory can sell to anyone in Europe with this certificate. Besides, $8000 is too expensive for a CE certificate. Ask your manufacturer to check this again. It isn't that much.

Posted: Dec 20, 2017 By: TTC Member since: Jan 20, 2016
  13. KindaichiShota

KindaichiShota UKBF Newcomer Free Member

This is also correct, the price is way too high, you should double -check

Posted: Dec 27, 2017 By: KindaichiShota Member since: Nov 8, 2017
  14. Tom Gardner

Tom Gardner UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Importing without any CE documentation or marking on the machines may well attract the interest of Trading Standards. I've seen them seize whole shipments

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 By: Tom Gardner Member since: Dec 9, 2017
  15. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

They have no grounds for doing that, as no offence is being committed merely by importing.

The offence is committed when they are put on the market.

So long as the importer arranges all the certification they can then mark the goods as CE and sell them throughout the EU.

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  16. keepitsecret

keepitsecret UKBF Regular Free Member

Is this correct?

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 By: keepitsecret Member since: Nov 26, 2008
  17. DontAsk

There's a specific example here http://www.hse.gov.uk/work-equipment-machinery/ce-mark-summary.htm "CE marking is the responsibility of the person who places the product on the market, or puts it into service, for the first time. In law this duty rests with the Responsible Person, which in most cases is either the manufacturer or the manufacturer's authorised (in writing) representative, but can also include those who import non CE marked products into Europe," (my emphasis) but I am sure the same statement is generally applicable.

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  18. keepitsecret

keepitsecret UKBF Regular Free Member

Thanks for your information on that. We are not doing machinery but possibly doing Toys from Japan. However they do not have CE on them.. But there are people already in the UK selling the same item from the same Company/Manufacturer in Japan. So we assume them import then make them Compliant.

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 By: keepitsecret Member since: Nov 26, 2008
  19. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

If yours do not have the CE mark are yours compliant?

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  20. DontAsk

They may be, they just do not have the test result to show it.

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015