Importing China to UK

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Dandan2, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Dandan2

Dandan2 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

29 0
    Hello

I am looking to gain an understanding on importing from China.

My products are low value £2 each but quite high volume. Around 600 per month.

my question is if every 2-3 days I receive a package containing around 30 products from China, would I have to pay customs duty?

I will have already paid customs VAT on the initial transaction.

Thanks
    Dan

Posted: Mar 27, 2021 By: Dandan2 Member since: Nov 25, 2014
  2. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,413 910
    Meaning your supplier is UK VAT registered?

Posted: Mar 27, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

28,193 3,472
    Depends on the value of your package. And the product code for importing (which you can look up).

UK import duty applies based on what the item is and the value of the package.

Realistically it may be worth looking at importing in bulk. By sea once the current traffic jam is resolved.

Posted: Mar 27, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,777 1,292
    A couple of my suppliers find it better to post out shoe box size parcels individually rather than a big box with ten in. This works badly this end as those attract a 12 charge for handling and VAT but none have duty applied. Oddly sometimes the 12 is still cheaper in the end. The size and weight calculation means that UPS can actually be 35% of the item cost sometimes. I’m now looking at comparing all new orders on the total cost per shipment divided by quantity to get a figure I can use as a comparison. For my stuff, which is basically small electronic items the duty should be 4%. Very rarely is this levied. VAT is, and the processing charge, but not duty. I don’t know why. I always plan on it in the figures.

the new AliExpress vat system still doesn’t work, I note. Small one off orders get uk VAT added at their end, BUT the downloaded VAT invoice still shows as UK VAT number applied for but not active. For the moment I lose this because I cannot get a UK VAT number, but they still add the VAT. Been like this a while now.

Posted: Mar 28, 2021 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. CHUKTC

CHUKTC UKBF Regular Free Member

200 34
    You would probably be better buying without VAT and paying the VAT at this end - then you can definitely claim it back (assuming you are VAT registered). As said above if you know the HS code you can work out the Duty. You can look up the HS code here ;
    https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff
    The main problem with shipping in small quantities is the likely admin charges the courtiers slap on as mentioned above.

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019
  6. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,777 1,292
    I tend to have lots of small packages - each maybe 1-2Kg, and being over the £135 they go through without the VAT. The smaller deliveries can get swamped by the £11.50 - £12.50 admin charge.

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  7. Larry Fong

Larry Fong UKBF Contributor Full Member

85 8
    Custom duty may also depend on the product category.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 By: Larry Fong Member since: Dec 16, 2020