Importing and Customs Declaration

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Martin Patfield, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Martin Patfield

Martin Patfield UKBF Regular Free Member

107 26
    Good morning,

I'm sure there are many having "fun and games" with this currently and in a worse situation.

Just looking to put the mind at rest really and hopefully some questions on your own experience(s) can help answer mine.

Due to the amount of shipments we receive from our supplier (our own factory) per year we have chosen to learn how to make customs declaration ourselves.

We supply B2B and sometimes B2C mostly in England. Occasionally to Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland and plan to let a freight forwarder/customs broker take that work as and when it comes up as it is so infrequent.

We have got an EORI number.
    We have gone with AEB's Customs Management Import software to send the info to CHIEF.

Our current way of working is:

1) We here in the UK, take a Purchase Order from customer (a lot of it is custom sized items so always different).
    2) Send a Purchase Order for the required items to the factory.
    3) The factory makes the item(s), and will have them collected on a Friday (whether that's 3 - 4 weeks down the line).
    4) On a Friday the factory will send me invoices for each order that has been put on the lorry.
    5) We receive the goods on a Tuesday/Wednesday as and when the lorry is able to get to us.

If based on that timeline how far in advance should I have to make the customs declaration?

My understanding now is:

The pallet(s) of goods should have included with it-

1) Commercial invoices for each items
    2) A packing list of what's on the pallet

- The software seems to produce another customs document called an E2 (I think), should this also be included within the paperwork?

I understand that with the changes and issues with documents that our delivery times may slip a day or two or more (fingers crossed, that doesn't happen) but is there anything else we should be doing or need to do?

Just looking for some peace of mind.

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 By: Martin Patfield Member since: May 3, 2018
  2. JRatron

JRatron UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 9
    Hi, that looks about right to me. Can you access previous clearance documents to assess how things were input in the past?
    Where in the world is the factory?

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 By: JRatron Member since: Jan 30, 2006
  3. Martin Patfield

107 26
    Hi,

It is based in Estonia, with our Head Office based in Finland. The UK company is a sub-siduary - not that it means anything different.

Where would we be able to access previous documents?

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 By: Martin Patfield Member since: May 3, 2018
  4. Martin Patfield

107 26
    Happy Monday morning,

I wondered if anyone had any advise or a thumbs up on the process?

Thanks

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 By: Martin Patfield Member since: May 3, 2018
  5. JRatron

JRatron UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 9
    I suppose if previously it's all been within EU then there may be no previous entries.
    I would consider paying an experienced company to bring a shipment in for you and handle all the clearance. That way you'll then have a clear example on the paperwork supplied of how everything should ideally be done for you and your goods which you can easily work from to set up your own processes

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 By: JRatron Member since: Jan 30, 2006