Importing advice - Shipping/air agents

Discussion in 'International Business' started by serenbert, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serenbert

serenbert UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 1
    I'm posting this again, as the first time round it came out in an odd format!

I was looking for any advice on descent shipping or air freight companies from Guangzhou in China to the UK.

Initially, I would only be importing smallish quanitities with the possibility of ordering more as the business grows.

Any other advice on importing would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Sian

Posted: May 25, 2010 By: serenbert Member since: May 12, 2010
  2. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Ace Free Member

2,485 580
    It depends entirely on the volume and frequency of each shipment. For smaller items you may be as well with Speedpost and anything else, you may be wiser to work with either a forwarder or courier.

Could you let us know the volumes and frequency?

Have you also factored into your cost price import duty and charges?

Mister B

Posted: May 26, 2010 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  3. serenbert

serenbert UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 1
    I am looking to import Bridal Wear & accessories. Initially, I would need around 60-70 dresses along with a selection of accessories.

After that it would be on an order basis.

I am also looking into some other selling options, whereby I would need around 150 dresses in one go.

As for the import duty & charges, this is still something that I that I am working out. Not really sure how it works...any information would be appreciated.

Sian

Posted: May 26, 2010 By: serenbert Member since: May 12, 2010
  4. Naughty Vend

Naughty Vend UKBF Newcomer Free Member

948 179
    You'll get your classifications from HMCE Online >> http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/tariff but check for exclusions / special rules, quotas which are relative per country... quite common for China to be part of a special...

From that Provence your best bet for smaller stuff is EMS China which ends up as Parcelforce 24 by the time it arrives, however at seventy dresses if these are hooped etc the volume could be mad (250Kg per M3 - 333Kg per M3) so you'll need to ask not just the weight but the dimensions of the cartons too, you price upon the greater of the two weights. Although air is fast you do reach a point where sea is economical, it happens about 500Kg approximately but do your own calculations and with sea work out your minimum handling charges which UK side can be £300.00 compared to air which can be UK side just £15.00 by DHL Economy etc.

My best advice is ask you local supplier to quote you EMS, DHL/Fedex, Sea Freight (+£300 to what they tell you for UK charges) and make your decision based upon unit pro-rata cost per dress versus speed to market if you're...ermmm... being inspired by the latest fashion mags (wink wink). However if you can, fly there and check your supplier out and / or get a sample before every corner their end is cost cut and you get a poor quality product, once you have it you'll get little in customer service if it's wrong and returning it isn't an economical option... a business trip can be well worth it to China.

Posted: May 26, 2010 By: Naughty Vend Member since: Aug 5, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.