Import Duty From USA

Discussion in 'International Business' started by rubebr_soul, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rubebr_soul

rubebr_soul UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Hello all, i'm new to this forum so please go easy on me :)

I've imported some goods from America to sell through my business, they've arrived and they've also cleared customs with out being charged import duty or VAT.

Question is what should I do, if anything at all? This is the first time i've imported from the US so I want to keep everything above board and the people at HMRC happy!

For info...the goods are healthcare products and the value is roughly £250 and my business is VAT registered.

Many thanks in advance!
    Dan.

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 By: rubebr_soul Member since: Mar 28, 2010
  2. smellyskelly

smellyskelly UKBF Newcomer Free Member

44 7
    Hi

We are relativley inexperienced, however, we do import occasionally from USA.

As you are already VAT registered you will need to have an EORI Number allocated to your Business( Economic Operator Registration and Identification Scheme) - Type "form C220" into the HMRC website search box.

This is a short form that takes a few minutes to complete and can be email to them. It takes a few days to be authoried and set up.

When your goods are clearing customs the carrier/courier normally (in our experience) contact you by phone and ask for this number before the goods can be released.

You can then chose weather to pay ther VAT and import duties over the telephone direct to them or by cheque/card when the courier is at your door.

I have to say, on the few times we have compelted these imports, it has been totally pain free and the team at HMRC and EORI Office have also been very helpful.

Hope this helps.....

Scott:)

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 By: smellyskelly Member since: Nov 19, 2007
  3. rubebr_soul

rubebr_soul UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info :)

One question...when I get the EORI number do I need to ask the supplier in the US to include it on the customs declaration that's attached to the consignment?

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 By: rubebr_soul Member since: Mar 28, 2010
  4. smellyskelly

smellyskelly UKBF Newcomer Free Member

44 7
    No, i do not think so. We certainly never have done - Just make sure the inbound courier have your contact details. If they cannot et hold of you they enerally will not deliver the goods / or get cleared at customs, from what we have been told.

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 By: smellyskelly Member since: Nov 19, 2007
  5. Swapnil

Swapnil UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    We are a new start up company within the educational sector. If we import goods from USA will I be liable to pay import duty and VAT on receiving the goods. Also since we are importing for educational purposes can we get some exemption?

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 By: Swapnil Member since: Jun 25, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.