Import China to UK - CE and ROHS Compliancy

Discussion in 'International Business' started by wonderfulsites, Nov 12, 2018.

1. wonderfulsites

wonderfulsites UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    I would like to reach out to experienced importers who have an understanding of obtaining ROHS and CE when they source electronic products from China and bring into the UK.

A factory telling you they are compliant isn't enough I believe. A label on the product saying CE and ROHS also doesn't mean you conform.

As an importer I believe I need to hold a list of documents (Documentation of Conformity) for CE to prove I have done my due diligence including.

* Description of the items
    * Concept designs, drawings, Wiring and circuit diagrams (if electrical), component schemes, sub-assemblies, part lists, etc.,
    * List of standards applied in full or in part
    * Testing (in house or made by third parties) and Quality control procedures
    * Test reports and quality control records
    * Marking and labelling copies
    * User instruction copies

How do you guys go about building this document file. Do you have an Asian inspection team that can carry all of these steps out in China to allow me to build the file ( and prove my due diligence) or do you have additional tests done in your home country?

Does a test need to be performed on every single batch you order for CE/ROHS or is one test sufficient?

Its a bit of a minefield but I want to make sure Im fully compliant.

Also if the testing is performed on a product and you private label (OEM) the same product I presume the test on the non-private label product is still valid.

Really appreciate any feedback from those with experience. Thanks

Posted: Nov 12, 2018 By: wonderfulsites Member since: Nov 12, 2018
  2. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,757 739
    We supply technology products to main High Street brands, so can advise the following.

Please see my answers in
    red

Posted: Nov 12, 2018 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  3. wonderfulsites

3 0
    Really appreciate your feedback. This is very useful information. Its very difficult to find this information (surprising with the number of electronic products imported to the UK every year).

So I can get an internationally recognised testing company in China to perform the ROHS testing and they will create the required Document file for me that I can file with my business documents?

As regards to:
    Compliance for labelling on your products, instruction leaflets and packaging box.

Are there any companies that can advise/check that I comply with these standards as I presume the test lab company won't do this ?

Do I need to provide an instruction leaflet for a cable. I don't think I've ever seen instruction leaflets with cables to my knowledge.

4. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

3,757 739
    Not just RoHs, but also CE required testing and in some cases REACH. It's also important to understand that if an appliance has a plug, it must be tested to ensure BS compliance. Generally you will require to submit a number of the same products for testing, not just one piece. We carry out testing on new products.

Most testing companies will not be up to speed with new legislation with regards to compliance for labelling on products, instruction leaflets and packaging, (although they should). There are companies that can advise you (not cheap, but essential). We can undertake this on your behalf.

Generally no. Is this for a normal cable (USB-A to Micro/Lightning/Type-C)? Or for a charging adaptor with a cable (AC to DC5/USB)? Or other type of cable?

Posted: Nov 12, 2018 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  5. wonderfulsites

3 0
    Hi. Thanks for the info.

The cable I am looking at doesn't carry a high voltage. The cables involved are USB-C and HDMI. So I think the risk of harm is low in terms of voltages. The cable allows video output to a screen.

I do understand however that I will still need ROHS. I was under the impression that ROHS is now part of CE so I need both. I didn't think I needed Reach as I wont be importing a tonne a year to start with at least.

If you can provide me an idea of costs I would definitely be interested in getting in touch? I'm not a large corporation just a small start up with ambitions of importing into the UK in early 2019. I need to be mindful of costs but I also want to do my due diligence and ensure I am compliant.

If you can PM me a contact email that would be great or whatsapp/wechat. Thanks

6. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

971 128
    There's the old joke that CE means "Chinese Export".

Not really. google is your friend.

At the end of the day you are responsible fro compliance, whether that means doing your own tests or accepting the paperwork from the supplier.

Posted: Nov 13, 2018 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  7. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

3,757 739
    Specific information you cannot get on Google.

You can get general pointers to organizations that say they can provide the information required, but you'll find most of these companies/organisations charger for information for a specific product and will require you send them the product for inspection before giving answers.

As an example: Try to find how to be compliant for the following: Markings on product, instruction sheet and packaging materials for a Bluetooth speaker with a BS AC Charger with a fixed Type-C cable and a 3.5mm audio port.

You'll get directed to companies (after clicking many links and a lot of patience) who will require to see the product and packaging. You will need to pay for their report.

Google does not provide that information.

Posted: Nov 14, 2018 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  8. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

971 128
    Maybe because I know how to use Google and how to read relevant legislation and standards.

Posted: Nov 14, 2018 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  9. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

3,757 739
    Updated legislation (technology products are continually updated 3 or 4 times a year, if not more) is not available openly or without payment on the internet.

There are professional companies who check and continually update their files, which they charge for.

As an example, please send the files to my example above . . .Compliant Markings on product, instruction sheet and packaging materials for a Bluetooth speaker with a BS AC Charger with a fixed Type-C cable and a 3.5mm audio port.

My guess is that you won't find that information on Google without contacting a professional company who will charge to send you a report.

In fact, it's not a guess.

Posted: Nov 14, 2018 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  10. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Regular Full Member

331 71
    Does a test need to be performed on every single batch you order for CE/ROHS or is one test sufficient? -------- One test is sufficient. However, if you change the logo, design, package, or you change to use a new supplier for same product, you still need to do the test again.

Posted: Nov 30, 2018 By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012