Immigration. Do we need more?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Funding for Communities, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Pegram IT Consultant

John Pegram IT Consultant UKBF Contributor Free Member

42 5
    My dad came here in the 1970's as he was fleeing apartheid and was part of the ANC. And we all know what the Police did to members of the ANC back then. He was also not allowed to be a teacher because of his colour and then came here and worked in his dream job. Before he retired he was a A Level examiner and a English teacher of some renown. He was also a story teller, a stage actor and like myself is a writer.

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 By: John Pegram IT Consultant Member since: Nov 12, 2015
  2. John Pegram IT Consultant

42 5
    I'm of the opinion we can help those refugees. I guess you see a little more in the line of work your in but I think there is always a way and those are human beings that are suffering and need our help. I know kindness and looking out for your fellow man isn't the 'in' thing any more but again it goes back to how you want to be remembered. The attitude towards religion and race in this country at points make me sick to my stomach.

3. john1989

john1989 Guest

0 0
    Is putting them in housing much better than other options?

If we provide them with a lifestyle better than they are accustomed to, they will never return once their country remains safe to return to.

Not only does that put strain on our economy and infrastructure, but also destabilises that if their home country.

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 By: john1989 Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  4. rmmfree

rmmfree UKBF Contributor Free Member

45 7
    I am Spanish and although I would like to live in UK because the lack of opportunities here I understand that you have too many immigrants. I think that we have to try to solve the problem in our countries before going abroad.

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 By: rmmfree Member since: Nov 19, 2015
  5. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    Of course we have the money,unfortunately a small percentage of the population control it.

https://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/scale-economic-inequality-uk

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  6. john1989

john1989 Guest

0 0
    Posted: Nov 19, 2015 By: john1989 Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  7. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,413 620
    Are you kidding me...you do know we don't run a surplus don't you? (http://www.debtbombshell.com/britains-budget-deficit.htm). Perhaps you meant to say, "Hey, we the UK has a reasonable line of credit, so surely we can go into further debt to welcome low skilled folks into our system, provide them with schooling, housing & free education"

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  8. silentjay

silentjay UKBF Contributor Free Member

71 10
    You must never use your local services and live in a lovely bubble no doubt. Our infrastructure is crumbling and the already poor and low skilled get to fight it out with even more unskilled immigrants for jobs and services.

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 By: silentjay Member since: Jun 7, 2014
  9. silentjay

silentjay UKBF Contributor Free Member

71 10
    It's also these people who pay the most in taxes and get the least out the system

[​IMG]
    Some of us have the more pressing issue of putting food on the table, paying our insane rents due to importing 300,000 people a year and trying to get GP appointments. Like I said, you live in a nice bubble. Can I come and stay sometime?

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 By: silentjay Member since: Jun 7, 2014
  10. Ikkie

Ikkie UKBF Contributor Free Member

30 2
    recently published report claimed that UK business will suffer a serious shortfall of skills executive as many senior executives are getting retire now.

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 By: Ikkie Member since: Nov 19, 2015
  11. John Pegram IT Consultant

42 5
    If you take a look at the video I suggested on YouTube it puts things into perspective. And I have no qualms with wanting to put others before myself. Back in the day you used to look out for each other.
    I do not believe in any form of discrimination or finger pointing be in this country or otherwise.
    As long as people make a contribution and come here to work that's good and if there is people in need of our help we should help them.

12. Jeff FV

Jeff FV UKBF Big Shot Staff Member

3,619 1,702
    We, as a nation, are by no means perfect, but I do think that we are one of the most tolerant, multi racial and multi cultural nations on this planet.

Could you elaborate, please, on why our attitude to religion makes you sick to your stomach? Everyone is pretty much free to follow whatever religion, or none, without persecution. Alas, the same cannot be said for many countries.

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 By: Jeff FV Member since: Jan 10, 2009
  13. Pish_Pash

2,413 620
    @John Pegram IT Consultant ... IMHO you're in cloud cuckoo land (but I can understand why you'd have such a stance, as your own family has done well from the UK being generous).

Alas, it's an inherent trait of people...give them an inch, they take a mile, you end up with an entitlement culture., so the notion of 'looking out for one another' doesn't really work on a national level in 2015 ....families - yes, friends - yes (& very) small communities... perhaps,.

You've already already stated a couple of major errors (you said "we" - the UK - have enough money....whereas in fact UK Plc doesn't ....& you also said that we've enough space (perhaps in forests & arable fields, but definitely not homes)...& now you're suggesting that we get our collective wallets out (via taxation) or expect our Government to take on even more debt to pay for more people like your Dad from South Africa to come here, have a house, healthcare & free education...on my tab? Seriously, catch a grip.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  14. Carl Mintern

Carl Mintern That Guy Full Member - Verified Business

234 92
    I can't believe this. You are aware his father was seeking refuge because we went there and took over his country and decided he was a lesser species right?

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 By: Carl Mintern Member since: Sep 13, 2015
  15. John Pegram IT Consultant

42 5
    My dad came here and was naturalised as a British citizen. He was fleeing a terrible racist regime and made a contribution to this country not to do all right out of it. And 'they' are human beings. Like you and me.

16. Pish_Pash

2,413 620
    Where did I say lesser species ? I'm saying that the quaint notion that we should "look out for one another" on a global level because we have enough money (our Govt doesn't) & we've enough space (we haven't sufficient housing) is a total non starter.....look at the epic en-masse rush to Germany by Merkel saying "we're looking out for you"....these people crossed about half a dozen safe countries - what does that tell you (& still people don't quite get it!).

Seriously ...crunch the numbers, surely - as businessmen & women - you can work out how this ends?!!!

Do you want to live in a shithole, do you want to see the services & infrastructure that took generations to build crumble in front of your eyes (& in very short order). We may as well do away with the concept of countries & all just have one global govt...that would eliminate disparities - right? (yep, but we'll all be living in shanty towns.....or perhaps you all think there's sufficient money in the world to allow everyone on the planet to have a 3 bed semi & a nice garden?). Being a 'right on' liberal is great ...until your mum needs a hip replacement & is told to come back in Autumn 2026

Be careful what you wish for.

Barely related footnote: there was an item on the news yesterday on an immigrant using his student grant (which was my money) to travel to the 'so called' Islamic State (why do the BBC say that?!) ...they caught him out & now he has been jailed for 5 years (I'm paying for his room)...& on it goes....

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  17. Neil Allen

Neil Allen UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 0
    Greece, Spain and Italy will be kicked out of the current zone along with some Eastern European countries as free travel is blamed for migrant crisis

Belgium, France, German, Luxembourg and the Netherlands are set to re-draw the boundaries to just include the original members, creating a ‘Mini-Schengen’.

Strict checks could also be introduced at passport control to systematically compare the names of all arrivals against those on counter-terrorism databases – potentially leading to much longer queues.

This will be discussed Friday

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 By: Neil Allen Member since: Nov 18, 2015
  18. John Pegram IT Consultant

42 5
    You know something looking after ln my opinion starts in the communities here that are now so divided of the current situation, and i believe it should extend globally I find terms like give em an inch they take a mile akin to send em all back! It'll be on about rivers of blood next.

19. John Pegram IT Consultant

42 5
    Few typos there good old windows smart phone

20. John Pegram IT Consultant

42 5
    Its not about being a groovy liberal or lefty its about acknowledging the fact that fundamentally we are all the same. And suffering people does not sit comfortably with me, whether that be the homeless guy on the corner or the Syrian fleeing death and murder. There is always a way. You can crunch numbers and say the country will be over run etc or you can realize a lot of these people are coming because they don't have a choice. People say oh they've got smart phones etc would you leave home without your phone in an emergency? I refuse to see a problem I just see human beings that want another cHance! And no they are not all good and honest but are we? After the horrors this country has inflicted on the world! And according to that video we are doing the least to help! A lot of foreign nationals have real skills!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.