I'm taking some time out - Clinton

Discussion in 'Time Out' started by Clinton, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Financial-Modeller

Financial-Modeller UKBF Legend

1,173 449
    Good to see you back.

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 By: Financial-Modeller Member since: Jul 3, 2012
  2. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Legend

5,244 2,411
    Oh yeah, I heard about that and I went straight to Alexa to see how traffic has been panning out for UKBF recently.
    [​IMG]

There are more accurate tools than Alexa but I didn't go check. Hopefully, Alexa is wrong.

In any case, let's see how it goes. My advice to Ozzy at the start was that if he had big aspirations to go all corporate on us, he doesn't have a choice but to go mega woke. That's just the way the world is now.

I don't quite know what the mood music is here nowadays but if Ozzy does take my advice, let's face it, I'm not good at talking softly, softly to snowflakes and assorted half-wits. I'll have to quit or I'll get chucked out. ;)

You've obviously been having fun while I was gone.

Don't boast about these things, not everybody has been as lucky as you.

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  3. Ozzy

Ozzy Founder of UKBF UKBF Staff
    Verified Business ✔️

4,251 756
    Welcome back @Clinton :). I was even talking about you a couple weeks back in the context of recording some podcasts :eek:.
    My Spotify playlist does swing from, from swing to opera, Eminem and D-12, although I'm enjoying a bit of Kati Ran right now.
    You may have missed some of the UKBF videos and comments on here, but I did take some of your advice. In moderation though, because after all whether we like it or not the world is a different place now and us old folk are all a dying breed.

It's good to see you.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 By: Ozzy Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  4. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Legend

5,244 2,411
    Speak for yourself, mate!

And thanks for the welcome back.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  5. The Byre

The Byre Full Member

11,614 5,045
    I am in my 70s and one can only become a dying breed if one wants to become a dying breed.

You're the one who put me onto 'Who Moved my Cheese' - the cheese is always on the move! It has been moving at 90mph since I was a kid. If I think of the world I was born into - steam trains and government-owned bus companies, union-only workplaces and 'The Great Smog', Music While You Work and Listen with Mother - and then houses were being built everywhere you looked and music changed out of all recognition the day rock & roll was born, the first small pokey B&W television sets, to be followed by dodgy colour - and now we have cinema-quality images and sound in the home and access to almost any and every film ever made and personal communicators that are better than the ones on Startrek.

Some industries are refusing to change and are sticking their fingers in their collective ears, singing 'La, la, la!' and hoping that all this change just goes away - well it ain't! Cinemas are dying but the entire movie industry pretends that we are doing business as usual. Print is dying, but the entire news industry still pretends that the editorial agenda is set by the dailies. Banking abandoned cheques and the High Street branch very unwillingly. The next to go will be present healthcare structures, but I don't see any sign of doctors or insurance schemes anywhere preparing for this!

Last, but by no means least, governments and possibly even nations will go. The concept of strict huge geographical tribes, tens of millions in number, bound by arbitrary lines on a map and governed by a council of elected elders is a relatively new one in the overall history of mankind. It served a purpose in the days of slow communications and outside threats from hostile peoples, but it became over-weening and over bureaucratic to the point of where it is today - parasitic.

Without going (yet again!) into the numbers, government spending everywhere (and not just in the UK) accounts for about half the economy, financed by giant debts that will never be repaid and mathematically, can never be repaid. That means that sooner or later, all those things that governments everywhere either feel obliged to do or do because it is a vote winner, they no longer will be able to do.

Here in the UK, that may mean having to abandon HS2, nuclear weapons, the NHS, state pensions, vast armies of civil servants, social security payments and possibly even schools. All these things will happen piece-meal, a slice at a time - universities are already a pay-as-you-go luxury in Englandshire, schools may easily follow.

As for all those well-meaning green initiatives - governments everywhere dropped them just as fast as they could in favour of coal and gas at the first sign of an energy crisis!
    ________________________​

I have spent the past year having some rather tedious and protracted dealings with a German government department that require me to fill in one form after another, after another. Nothing unusual there, until I looked at the name of the department 'Bundesverwaltungsamt' and I wondered what the UK equivalent might be. It is Germany's very own 'Department of Administrative Affairs' - yes! There really is such a thing in real life - but in Germany!

Their Sir Humphrey is called Christoph Verenkotte and he heads a staff of 6,000 with a budget of €500m in Cologne.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  6. Ozzy

Ozzy Founder of UKBF UKBF Staff
    Verified Business ✔️

4,251 756
    Tough milk round? I say that is complete jest, but honestly good to see you and wouldn't mind a cha at some point about UKBF up coming stuff.
    I think you just agreed with what I was getting at, I think. :D

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 By: Ozzy Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  7. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Legend

5,244 2,411
    I meant that your membership of the "old" club is something you may share with the likes of @The Byre , but I'm not there yet.

FFS, I'm not even 60! I haven't had my mid-life crisis yet nor have I bought a Porsche. I've no plans to join any dying breed. And I've no intention of going around moving cheese. It's an occupation that seems a tedious waste of time not to mention one that involves an unnecessary imposition on the local rodent population just going about looking for their next meal.

But, sure, let's have that cha sometime. I'm glad you didn't say flat white, Americano, latte or some other modern bullsh*t drink. Maybe @The Byre could fire up his zimmerframe and join us.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  8. Gordon - Commercial Finance

Gordon - Commercial Finance UKBF Legend

2,616 940
    Tell us more Ozzy about the podcast plans

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 By: Gordon - Commercial Finance Member since: Jun 26, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. The Byre

The Byre Full Member

11,614 5,045
    Clockwork only here! I'll wind it up!

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  10. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE Verified Business ✔️

6,173 2,293
    You need to get straight into it very soon because there is nothing like a midlife crisis in a pandemic

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Aniela

Aniela UKBF Ace

933 142
    I only used to call out people who openly admitted to bounce back loan fraud and the like. Still hold the belief that if anyone openly admits to fraud or breaking the law, like they were, should be instantly banned.

I also used to call out people that would call business buyers "£1 Charlies" as they couldn't prove all the amazing businesses they bought, while themselves talking of million pound transactions they've had a commission from, all the while themselves having one dissolved company that had like £100 in it. Always felt it was strange for calling people liars while doing the exact same things themselves.

It does seem like Ozzy has aligned the forums in a better way than it was and stopped a lot of the behaviour that shouldn't have been allowed. He's done a good job so far.

I do wish you well in coming back.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 12:11 AM By: Aniela Member since: Mar 28, 2020
  12. JEREMY HAWKE

6,173 2,293
    I think you called out anybody you did not like the sound of !
    I am the most open on here I even invited you here :):) but you still hide behind that keyboard and we know nothing about you

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 12:15 AM By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  13. Aniela

Aniela UKBF Ace

933 142
    With some of the people I called out for admitting fraud etc, I think it would be rather stupid at this point to actual "go public" with who I am.

My best option would be to start fresh under a new account but I'll need to consider that. Maybe with this reformed forum being the way it is, it makes more sense now. Plus I'm like Clinton. Find it hard to bite my tongue, so it would be easy to put two and two together.

On the other hand, I could be Clintons first ever "£1 charlie that's not a £1 charlie."

That could actually make a good podcast episode. Me and Clinton having an open discussion about buying businesses? UKBusinessForums premiere. The podcast would have to be under the premise that neither party can answer questions with "I don't want to answer that" or similar.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 12:23 AM By: Aniela Member since: Mar 28, 2020
  14. JEREMY HAWKE

6,173 2,293
    How you going to do a POD with Clinton if you don't want anybody to know who you are .
    Your making a pod not a feckin terrorist video

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 12:29 AM By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  15. Aniela

Aniela UKBF Ace

933 142
    That's why I said on the other hand.

I could just go public and do it that way. Would be more interesting, I'd just need to consider the attacks on my businesses.

Clinton would never do that anyway, so somewhat pointless talking about it. Would be an extremely fun thing to do though. I know you'd tune in.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 12:32 AM By: Aniela Member since: Mar 28, 2020