IG or FB - which one is better for your business?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Zuchers32, Sep 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuchers32

Zuchers32 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    Which is more useful for your business - Facebook or Instagram.
    My point is that it depends on the business, so it would be great if you could give examples abiut what kind of business you have and which platform is better.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 By: Zuchers32 Member since: Sep 25, 2019
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,645 9,973
    Neither. I've tried and tested a load of them and none of them delivered the quality leads I get from Google or Wordpress.org.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,521 536
    I agree, and if you want any of my time you can pay for it,

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  4. WebshopMechanic

WebshopMechanic UKBF Regular Full Member

422 216
    Facebook and Instagram are only worth doing if that is where your audience 'hangs out'. If they are not there then it's a waste of time.

Even if that is where they hang out, you need to be a content-creating-machine to be success. You can't just post photos with a few hash tags and hope you gain some traction because you won't. Both platforms are full of noise so you must work hard to gain people's attention.

A good way I have found is to actively comment on people's posts but actually talk to them as real people rather than some sleazy sales pitch. Be genuine and actually care about them. If you try to sell, they will block you.

Another good way is to be helpful in Facebook or LinkedIn groups that are related to your company or subject matter. The key words are 'be helpful'.

I've said a million times before to clients, you can't force or buy your way into people's affections. Sales don't just roll in as soon as you open. It takes time to build a trusted brand. Nobody wants to be sold to and they see a sales pitch coming miles off.

People will choose where they want to spend their money and who to do business with. As a business owner (or Marketer with a business), it's your job to build trust, be interesting and add value so they come to you. If you have something interesting to say, show or offer then they will take note and tell others. If you don't, you'll be lost in the wilderness.

Your main objective should be to get people onto an email list. That way, you can own the conversation and build a relationship. Social platforms are like filling a bucket with 1,000 holes. They've completely screwed everyone by making it pay-to-play and, even then it's hit-n-miss and costs a fortune. Posting and hoping to get engagement is pointless.

My advice is this:

1. Produce something downloadable of value/exclusive that your audience needs (yes, a 'lead magnet').
    Here are some examples:
    • I.T company - Network security fails with solutions (What are your customer's common issues?)
    • Health food company - Healthy energy boosting recipes (Make it positive and something that your customers will want)
    • Gymwear company - Workout advice for x,y,x goal (let them choose what their goal is and this will qualify them for you)
    • Fashion company - Insider trends (make it niche)
    • Pet food company - Ultimate guide to pet nutrition (what do they need to know?

2. Contact people on forums, in groups, publication comments, social pages and be helpful. Don't sell or push anything. If you are helpful, people will take note and look you up.

3. Continue to hammer this strategy for an hour every day. Make it part of your daily routine. Consistency will deliver results.

Yes, this approach is hard work but you end up with qualified leads and less time-wasters. They've already bought into what you are offering so you just need to continue building that relationship until they eventually buy.

Always be useful. It works for me and my clients.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 By: WebshopMechanic Member since: Apr 27, 2017
  5. StevePoster

StevePoster UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,037 148
    I agree, it is because IG and FB are not tools for direct marketing in business compared to Google and WP they are the most appropriate platforms to reach your target users in business.

Posted: Oct 1, 2019 By: StevePoster Member since: Nov 29, 2013
  6. CoinCornerJoanne

CoinCornerJoanne UKBF Contributor Full Member

44 1
    we use Facebook over Instagram. As Insta is so image heavy, it's harder for us to share regularly as our industry has far less imagery available (due to the product being digital/intangible).

Facebook works well for us in terms of keeping customers updated, but it's not the typical place that customers go with the intent to make purchases.

Overall, I think Instagram works better for businesses with actual physical products.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 By: CoinCornerJoanne Member since: Mar 7, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.