I need a catchy title for this press release

Discussion in 'Press Releases' started by Pet Nanny, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Pet Nanny

Pet Nanny UKBF Ace Full Member

1,237 89
    Pet lover Nina Cole is asking people to remember their dogs during the festive season. She says Christmas decorations are very alluring for dogs, and if swallowed can be lethal. Fairy lights are also very eye catching, and it is important to switch them off before leaving for work and retiring for bed. It is always worth remembering that human chocolate is highly toxic to a dog and can be fatal and even Christmas plants can be poisonous, especially berries and poinsettias.

Nina also stated that while lunch maybe the highlight of our Christmas, please spare a thought to our canine friends. Turkey and chicken bones splinter when chewed and can cause choking, and intestinal injury.

She was however, careful to add that the majority of dogs will enjoy an incident free Christmas, but it is extremely important to highlight the dangers.

Nina, who with her husband Doug, won through to the semi final of the Barclays Business Awards, is already almost fully booked for the festive period. We do have some availability for our visiting service, she added, but demand for our live in sitters meant that we were fully booked as early as Spring this year!

Nina's Nannies for Pets now operates throughout several counties, but originated in Hemel Hempstead in 1998. The Gazette proudly launched the service and has followed its growth since that time. Nina is also looking for live in sitters, so if you are interested call 08450 53 11 52.

Nina
    ninasnanniesforpets.co.uk

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 By: Pet Nanny Member since: May 4, 2007
  2. creospace

creospace UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,931 187
    Are they illegal if not swallowed?

*still thinking of a catchy title

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 By: creospace Member since: Oct 31, 2005
  3. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,742 6,639
    "Don't light up your dog for christmas"

Earl

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  4. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Legend Free Member

10,942 3,530
    Is this a general press realease?

If so, I don't think it really "works".

Looking at the story, it would be really easy for reporters to run with it without including you.

You've really only passed along some information (which isn't supported by facts and doesn't appear to stem from you) and there are no quotes from you.

Also, this doesn't make sense unless the PR is only going to this "gazette":

And this is just an ad tacked on and strikes me as a bad thing to include:

Steve

PS Just my 2p and Andy might be along to disagree with everything I wrote.

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  5. 10 Yetis

10 Yetis UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,383 144
    Have come up with a cheeky little title. Also, and feel free to bin it, had a play around with the opening para to try and help.

It is a cracking release angle to take, you just need to make sure you lose the "we", "our" "my" etc and refer to things in the style of "The company does have some availibility for ITS X service", instead of "availibility for OUR service" etc etc, if that make sense.

As Steve says you also need to really bolt on the fact that YOU are the expert and the story is YOUR's... so it cannot be written without your brand in. (YEP - TOTALLY STOLE THAT FROM STEVE! I was writing my reply as he was ha ha ha ha ha)

Anyway, as I say, may be total arse, but here is my two penneth:

Leading Pet Expert Gives Christmas Tips That Are the Dogs Baubles

Whilst families across the country are preparing for the season of goodwill one of the UK's leading pet nanny companies is warning dog owners to be on the lookout for Christmas decorations that could harm their favourite pooches.

<Details about what could happen if they swallowed it here - maybe talk about average vet bill costs>

<A quote from you here>

(AS YOU HAD IT, i.e.) Nina, who with her husband Doug, went through to the semi final of the Barclays Business Awards, is already almost fully booked for the festive period. The company does have some availability for its visiting service but demand for the live sitters service has increased to point that Nina's Nannies is now booked until Spring 2008.

Nina's Nannies for Pets now operates throughout several counties, but originated in Hemel Hempstead in 1998. The Gazette proudly launched the service and has followed its growth since that time. Nina is also looking for live in sitters, and anyone interested should call 08450 53 11 52.

Nina
    ninasnanniesforpets.co.uk

Hope this helps

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 By: 10 Yetis Member since: Nov 3, 2004
  6. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Legend Free Member

10,942 3,530
    "Dogs Under Threat From Christmas Decorations"

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  7. 10 Yetis

2,383 144
    YES... I know I totally biffed up my first post above... flipping copy and paste from word did not work, and it was nothing to do with my fat fingers. Should make more sense now.

:)

8. creospace

3,931 187
    'Make sure presents are the only thing you find under the tree in the morning'

'Bling dog, berry feast and die' (ding dong merrily on high)

the best I can do.

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 By: creospace Member since: Oct 31, 2005
  9. 10 Yetis

2,383 144
    Absolute, 100% GOLD! I totally love this.

10. An Oasis

An Oasis UKBF Newcomer Full Member

9,899 1,683
    Shouldn’t there be a contingency plan just in case the reverse is true?

Something that does not upset the kiddy winkies too much like…

“A dog is for Christmas so enjoy it!”

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 By: An Oasis Member since: Oct 3, 2006
  11. Pet Nanny

1,237 89
    Thank you so much everyone for your great advice. Andy, I did not think that a national paper would want this, so thought about offering it to some local newspapers, so would rejig the local aspect.

How do I go about distributing this, as never done one before?

Thank you.

Nina

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 By: Pet Nanny Member since: May 4, 2007
  12. 10 Yetis

2,383 144
    There is no harm in pinging it to nationals. If nothing else it would put you on their radar and even if they don't run the story they may keep your details on file and if they ever need a quote from someone in your sector they may come to you.

With regards to distribution... why not start with local press and then look at some national lifestyle and home style mags. Identify the mags/papers you want to target, read them to find the journo's you need to contact, google them to find email addy's (or sometimes the email addy is in the mag or paper) and then send out individually.

Next step is the most important bit, call them to follow it up.

I have shortened the process down but... stand by... we have a FREE Newsletter (propaganda free as well) that has all the info in... did you see the plug coming a mile off?

Here is the newsletter from the best public relations agency I have ever worked for :).

13. Sally@CC

[email protected] UKBF Newcomer Free Member

872 26
    Just my simple idea for a title

Celebrate Christmas with your dog, not your vet

I would at least have to scan the article to see why I might end up with the vet at Christmas.

Sally

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 By: [email protected] Member since: Oct 17, 2007
  14. ImproveSearchListings

ImproveSearchListings UKBF Newcomer Free Member

709 35
    Have A Christmas Dinner Without Collie-Flower-Disease....

Posted: Nov 16, 2007 By: ImproveSearchListings Member since: Dec 5, 2006
  15. Pet Nanny

1,237 89
    Thanks everyone. Decided to use the 'Bling Dog, Berry feast and die', for title, so thank you for that. Also took all your point on board Andy, and tried three of the nationals, as well as local media, who generally call on me for statements regarding pets. Fingers crossed, and again thanks to all who offered your help.

Nina

Posted: Nov 16, 2007 By: Pet Nanny Member since: May 4, 2007
  16. creospace

3,931 187
    Hey - i'm the winner! Do you need my address to post the cheque ;)

Gary

Posted: Nov 16, 2007 By: creospace Member since: Oct 31, 2005
  17. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,742 6,639
    Er I think its a box of Bob Martins for you me lad:)

Posted: Nov 16, 2007 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  18. INDIZINE

INDIZINE Banned

2,321 169
    Some comments seem to be about enjoying xmas with the dog - but arent the owners going away hence the dog sitting service??!!

The title needs to be short and snappy. Im not sure about the word 'die' in the title and where that's relevant to the story.

Bear in mind if the editor doesnt like the title they will change it anyway. They also cut down some of the release to fit in the page space, so keep the important stuff to the top half of the release.

Posted: Nov 16, 2007 By: INDIZINE Member since: Oct 24, 2007
  19. Pet Nanny

1,237 89
    A quick update for all who offered titles. I have sent it to all our local newspapers, and a guy from the Sun Newspaper loved the title, and asked me to send it again.

One question though. I have only sent it to one national paper (The Sun), should I send it to some more, or leave it for now?

Nina

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 By: Pet Nanny Member since: May 4, 2007
  20. 10 Yetis

2,383 144
    Send it to them all. If the Sun love it, then the chances are more will love it. Mirror, Mail, Mail on Sunday, Express... sounds right up their street.

Don't forget to send Gary a brucey bonus for the great title, especially if it got you a foot in the door.

Also don't forget, try and nurture the relationship with that sun journo now. Keep them up to speed with business developments, not always looking for a story, but just to keep them in the loop etc.

Congratulations, I am really please for you.

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 By: 10 Yetis Member since: Nov 3, 2004