General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

I am in the process of starting a new sports brand, but having trouble sourcing manufacturers !?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Malachi L-M, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Malachi L-M

Malachi L-M UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    I am searching for a manufacturer of Compression wear and sportswear to supply my business, Which is aimed at professional athletes such in sports such as football, boxing, basketball, MMA and other sports. After many months speaking to several contacts in china, Vietnam, Indonesia etc i have simply not been able to find a single company to produce all the items i need to launch. As a professional footballer my contacts in sport and media have allowed me to create and plan a huge pre launch, Including several high profile figures to feature in adverts and media promotions. So with a lot of excitement i am really hoping to find a contact who can source unbranded sportswear of a top quality at good prices to allow me to move ahead with my launch.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Malachi L-M Member since: Mar 6, 2018
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

9,034 911
    So find multiple companies to produce all the items you need to launch.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Full Member

1,363 282
    Why do you need everything from a single supplier? where is the benefit to you or the potential customer?

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  4. Malachi L-M

4 0
    Because dealing with one supplier means that communication is easier, focus on building a strong relationship and less stress with orders as its from one source

5. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Full Member

1,363 282
    Take a look at existing sports / clothing brands - they dont use only one supplier, unless they own the supplier.

If you rely on one supplier, what happens when they let you down or double prices? You've got no alternatives to go to, without starting again.

Dealing with one supplier might be easier, easier is rarely better.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  6. Socio South West

Socio South West UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

741 183
    Why do you want to weaken your business model at the outset by having only one supplier? If they collapse, or for whatever reason will not supply you, your business is dead overnight.

The negatives you suggest that arise from dealing with multiple suppliers are in fact a strength of the business - and don't allow any one supplier to exploit its monopoly position as your sole supplier

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Socio South West Member since: Mar 24, 2013
  7. Malachi L-M

4 0
    Appreciate the information. Maybe i have been looking at things from the wrong angle

8. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

9,034 911
    Communication can be pretty easy when dealing with several suppliers too.
    When one supplier cannot do the job then your only viable option to get the goods is multiple suppliers.
    Less stress? Than not being able to find one supplier doing it all?

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  9. Mark Halsall

Mark Halsall UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 1
    Ideally you'll want multiple suppliers lined up for each product. This means you've got backup if one lets you down. And over time they should be in competition for your business, keeping downwards pressure on your costs.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Mark Halsall Member since: Mar 6, 2018
  10. The Secret Strategist

The Secret Strategist UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 5
    All good replies so far and i agree with them.

It would be interesting though to learn your motivations for starting a business in this sector and what you understand about the industry so far? Building strong relationships, keeping good communications and having a huge pre-launch are all important in business, but none of them are relevant if you have nothing to sell.

Why have you chosen to go down the clothes branding route?

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: The Secret Strategist Member since: Jan 26, 2018
  11. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck? Full Member - Verified Business

4,937 1,055
    If you intend to import your products, then I would always recommend the use of an agent. Aside from the other benefits of an agent, it reduces your points of contact to - one.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011
  12. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,710 732
    How many products are there in your range?

More importantly, what are your provisional order quantities for each product (colour/size)?

If your orders are not 300-600pcs per colour for each product, then you will have problems working with the vast majority of far east manufacturers.

I suspect that's where the problem is.

Sizing and grading in compression and sportswear is vital to ensure a correct fit.

You can only work with professional suppliers who only make these garments and not a general clothing manufacturer.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  13. Malachi L-M

4 0
    Yes i agree and that's whats been frustrating as i have so many positive and different angles to come at this field with, yet i am stuck in terms of finding the correct product and manufacturers. As a pro athlete my self i am constantly around my target market and understand what we like to buy, use, wear and feel while training and performing. Also i see many holes in the market in terms of appealing to sports and individuals.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: Malachi L-M Member since: Mar 6, 2018
  14. The Secret Strategist

The Secret Strategist UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 5
    Why don’t you think about partnering up with a Compression manufacturer?

You offer them value by providing professional advice from you and your contacts, exclusive real time feedback from your contacts (who can trial new products for them) & access to people for high profile marketing campaigns.

In return they offer you value as you get to see and understand the business processes involved setting up your own business, which you could put to good use in years to come for yourself.

Your risk is minimised (as you have no financial outlay) & their risk is minimised (because they get your resources cheaper than the market rate).

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: The Secret Strategist Member since: Jan 26, 2018
  15. LiveNetworks Ltd

LiveNetworks Ltd UKBF Regular Free Member

157 37
    I can certainly see advantages with going to an existing brand and looking at having them create a range for you with your branding but the deals got to be watertight given you're going to be at their mercy.

Having multiple suppliers isn't a bad thing as long as your product range can maintain consistency. You don't want the products all looking and feeling disjointed. (Like they were made from different materials in different factories!) But it does mean that you're far less likely to see your own products being sold cheap on ebay or Ali by a shady manufacturer.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: LiveNetworks Ltd Member since: Jan 31, 2018
  16. JJWinst

JJWinst UKBF Regular Free Member

290 15
    As other's have mentioned I would look at alternatives to the Far East. Whilst they will be the lowest costs in the long term, from my experience if you are a startup with relatively low funds you'll struggle to produce a range without spending tens of thousands.

It's a very competitive market though however gymshark has shown it can be done!

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: JJWinst Member since: Mar 27, 2013
  17. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

6,811 1,487

As a professional footballer you will have an agent. Ask your agent to help you partner with a relevant clothing brand so you could produce your own range for them.

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009