Hypothetical situation: "Inaccurate" Minutes of Disciplinary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr D

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
Stirling
Simply because if the two recordings differ how do you prove which is the accurate one? Hence the reason for both recordings to be made at the same time.

And you cannot do such things with a cassette tape these days? Or is it a problem that has been around some time?

Upvote 0

Mr D

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
Stirling
Not my area of expertise, but reckon there is a reason the authorities do it the way they do.

Inertia. They already have that equipment. Procedures are not broken so do not need changing.

Businesses should be more able to adapt to new technology and changing times.

Upvote 0

Mr D

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
Stirling
That is complete news to me!

I would hope that a normal human being can speak or listen and write at the same time.

Some are not good at shorthand. Sadly its a skill that appears to be declining.

Upvote 0

Newchodge

Business Member
Nov 8, 2012
Newcastle
That is complete news to me!

I would hope that a normal human being can speak or listen and write at the same time.

Try holding a normal conversation and writing down exactly what you are saying and hearing at the same time. At best you will paraphrase or write the gist. It is extremely difficult to explain something complex, that you have to think about while speaking, AND take fully comprehensive notes.

Upvote 0

Mr D

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
Stirling
Try holding a normal conversation and writing down exactly what you are saying and hearing at the same time. At best you will paraphrase or write the gist. It is extremely difficult to explain something complex, that you have to think about while speaking, AND take fully comprehensive notes.

So are you taking decent notes or are you recording the proceedings in written form verbatim?
Or are you taking fully comprehensive notes?
Three different things.

Upvote 0

The Byre

Legacy Full Member
Aug 13, 2013
I spent 12 years as a journalist and did that sort of gig every day.

As chair of a political campaign committee, I took all the notes and produced the reports. Everything I said was prepared, so no need to write that down. Writing down what others say is all part of the listening process.

If an employee or an employer is going to speak at a disciplinary meeting, they should practice every word they say and be able to anticipate every counter argument and question (same applies to a court of law BTW). It is nigh-on impossible to misrepresent something that somebody either read out from a prepared statement or has learnt in advance word-for-word.

As in all things, being 100% prepared is the difference between success and failure.

Upvote 0

Newchodge

Business Member
Nov 8, 2012
Newcastle
I spent 12 years as a journalist and did that sort of gig every day.

As chair of a political campaign committee, I took all the notes and produced the reports. Everything I said was prepared, so no need to write that down. Writing down what others say is all part of the listening process.

If an employee or an employer is going to speak at a disciplinary meeting, they should practice every word they say and be able to anticipate every counter argument and question (same applies to a court of law BTW). It is nigh-on impossible to misrepresent something that somebody either read out from a prepared statement or has learnt in advance word-for-word.

As in all things, being 100% prepared is the difference between success and failure.

Recording what you hear is very different from recording your spontaneous response to a complex question. It is not possible to prepare in advance and learn every response to any question that may be asked during a disciplinary hearing. It's hard enough getting the b***ers just to say yes, no or I don't know which are frequently the best responses!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu