HSBS Secure Epayments failure

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by HowardJB, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turner2000

turner2000 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 1
    The orders we took in the two hours it was working this afternoon are showing up ok. I don't want to speak to soon but . . . .

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: turner2000 Member since: Apr 8, 2008
  2. DerekB

DerekB UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 3
    It appears to be functional, but I have not tried reconnecting to it via the website as no notice is posted on the site to say it is functional. I will carry out a couple of tests shortly.

Like others I received the following email from secure epayments at around 5pm today:

"We are extremely sorry to advise that we are still experiencing problems with our Secure ePayments system.

The service was operational from 12:00pm today but we have since encountered a number of further performance issues

As previously advised the issues that we are facing relate to the databases.

This is the first time that we have experienced this particular issue and we have engaged the help of both the database suppliers and the providers of the application.

In order that we can provide a stable platform to fully support your business, regrettably we have temporarily suspended the Secure ePayments service with effect from 15:30 today.

This suspension of service will allow us to undertake further correction and testing. The earliest the system will return will be 9:00am tomorrow.

The Bank's Executive Management are fully aware of the situation and appreciate your continued patience throughout this further period of service disruption."

I replied as follows:

Thank you for your email.

I note that it has taken twenty three and a half hours for you to contact me.

I cannot let the errors in your email go uncorrected.

Firstly, you advised both in statements issued by your call centre personnel yesterday evening, and subsequently when you eventually posted a recording on your answerphone, that a message would be posted on the secure e-payments website when the system is operational.

As a consequence of that, I have been checking the website approximately every ten minutes throughout yesterday evening (until 1.30am this morning), and subsequently from 6.30am this morning. At around 12.15 I was able to log in to the epayments website. No message was posted, and attempts to access any data were met with a failure message.
    This continued until approximately 3.30pm this afternoon, when the website appeared to be taken off-line again.

As there was no message to say the site was functional, and as data could not be accessed, you cannot accurately claim that the service was operational for this period.

Secondly, you state "As previously advised the issues that we are facing relate to the databases.". Previously advised to whom exactly? This email is the first communication that we, and others, have received from you.

In your recorded message of last night and this morning, you promised, I recall, to provide full and honest reports of the situation.

Would you kindly explain how the glaring discrepancies in your email correlate with this promise.

I Iook forward to receiving your reply.

I would suggest that everyone responds in a similar vein.

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: DerekB Member since: Mar 29, 2008
  3. sculli

sculli UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 0
    Too risky to leave until the morning. Have just processed the unshipped orders and all seems to be working.

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: sculli Member since: Mar 30, 2008
  4. mkhilton

mkhilton UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Same here all appears to be working including reporting

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: mkhilton Member since: Apr 8, 2008
  5. turner2000

turner2000 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 1
    I would do if we had actually received any correspondance from HSBC.

The message stating 9am as the earliest restart time is still playing on the phone.

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: turner2000 Member since: Apr 8, 2008
  6. stoley

stoley UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Epayments admin system working for me but still getting connection error when connecting to Epayments to put payment through.

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: stoley Member since: Apr 8, 2008
  7. stoley

stoley UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Epayments admin system working for me but still getting connection error when connecting to Epayments to put payment through.

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: stoley Member since: Apr 8, 2008
  8. sculli

sculli UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 0
    My shipped orders from yesterday aren't showing up on the report. Have printed off the ones I have just shipped in case of any further problems.

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: sculli Member since: Mar 30, 2008
  9. jd1977

jd1977 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

48 3
    I'm checking the 7th April records before 5.30pm compared to the admin report, and it seems the orders before that time are there, it will be processed tonight.

Unshipped orders is coming back with a blank result?

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: jd1977 Member since: Sep 17, 2005
  10. DerekB

DerekB UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 3
    All data appears to be present. I have tried reconnecting from our website, but the link is not yet operational. For purposes of compensation claims the website should still be regarded as down.

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: DerekB Member since: Mar 29, 2008
  11. onlineforever

onlineforever UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    I think it is wworking now- connecting through from our site okay.

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: onlineforever Member since: Apr 8, 2008
  12. Dwebs-Ltd

Dwebs-Ltd UKBF Ace Full Member

2,069 264
    Thing is when everyone starts business tomorrow the system will probably fall over i.e. everyone processing payments from the past couple of days etc

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: Dwebs-Ltd Member since: Nov 29, 2007
  13. jd1977

jd1977 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

48 3
    Well at least it is a sign they do work beyond 5pm hours, probably this push has come from high management towards the IT team to "sort this asap as we are getting claims again"

I am still going to claim between 5:30pm 7th April - 9am 9th April, this 'on and off' nonesense , telling customers to , try again, no wait , come back again, sorry try again is BS.

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: jd1977 Member since: Sep 17, 2005
  14. Dwebs-Ltd

Dwebs-Ltd UKBF Ace Full Member

2,069 264
    Trust me they would work after 5PM if there’s a major problem especially a bank. They have 24x7 IT staff; banks don't stop working after 5pm you know :)

Cash machines are usually updated after 2AM in the morning i.e. system updates etc and there’s plenty of other things that have to be looked after.

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: Dwebs-Ltd Member since: Nov 29, 2007
  15. matty262

matty262 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    You can definately use your existing account. i was told the same thing but if you speak to the Terminal department in Leicester they can set it up so that your current HSBC account accepts Protx. Thats how we've done it and it works fine but we are still switching to a new merchant account which is what they ahve told you you need to do. the reason we are moving it anyway is that the new account gives better rates anyway. Call the office in Leicester and ask to speak to the Terminal Connections (I think thats what they are called) Department and they should sort out for you. We had Protx working within 2 days of signing up with them.

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: matty262 Member since: Mar 30, 2008
  16. onlineforever

onlineforever UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    cool-will try that. what is sthe number for leicester then? i always get through to india.

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 By: onlineforever Member since: Apr 8, 2008
  17. envyhairuk

envyhairuk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I just switched to Nochex - best thing i have done :) I just cant take this risk again with hsbc

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 By: envyhairuk Member since: Apr 9, 2008
  18. matty262

matty262 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    Hi onlineforever - sorry I have been out all day. I remembered that I just signed up for Protx and gave them my normal merchant account number and they contacted hsbc as part of the setup so hsbc terminal dept then called me to confirm the request and set it up. They were in Leicester but I have lost the phone number but Protx should sort it for you if you give them you merchant number. Hope this helps.

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 By: matty262 Member since: Mar 30, 2008
  19. peedeesee

peedeesee UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Same for us too. Apparently HSBC have been getting rather a lot of these requests from Protx over the past few days...

Posted: Apr 10, 2008 By: peedeesee Member since: Apr 8, 2008
  20. benjo132

benjo132 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 0
    Has anybody else been having a few problems trying to claim compensation for this latest outage. Last time it was very straight forward and was settled in 2 days but I have a feeling that it might be more of a struggle this time. I was even sent this email from one person:

Thank you for your recent e-message.

I am formally obliged to advise you of the bank's complaint handling that you can view by logging on to and select 'How to complain' which sets out the relevant details for you.

However, please find below the postal address of the Service Department:

Level 40, HSBC Bank Plc,
    8 Canada Square,
    London,
    Post code E14 5HQ

I quickly replied telling him that I would not be complaining this way and will be taking the same action as I took only 8 days ago. Has anybody had any offers of compensation yet?

Thanks,

Ben

Posted: Apr 10, 2008 By: benjo132 Member since: Mar 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.