How would you deal with this?

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by anonuk, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Stas Lawicki

Stas Lawicki Contributor

391 175
    I'm bowing out of this one... good luck OP!

Posted: Jul 7, 2021 By: Stas Lawicki Member since: Nov 14, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. ctrlbrk

ctrlbrk UKBF Regular

208 56
    Posted: Jul 23, 2021 By: ctrlbrk Member since: May 13, 2021
  3. anonuk

anonuk Contributor

352 50
    Sorry for the delay in responding, I have since been on my annual leave.

Myself and the line manager sat this person down and gave them a written warning. We had a good chat with them and ironed out what we expect from them, and gave them the opportunity to talk to us about any issues.

She started behaving but then having come back from leave, she's been saying to the line manager that what we have done is illegal because she should have been given a verbal warning first, blah blah.

Well she's just signed her own P45 in my book.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 By: anonuk Member since: Feb 27, 2014
  4. ctrlbrk

ctrlbrk UKBF Regular

208 56
    She is wrong. Nothing illegal in giving a written warning without a verbal one.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 By: ctrlbrk Member since: May 13, 2021
  5. Fagin2021

Fagin2021 Full Member
    Contributor

353 225
    Hate to say I told you so fellas but - I told you so.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 By: Fagin2021 Member since: Jan 27, 2021
  6. SillyBill

SillyBill Contributor

478 283
    Pull her in, "not working out, we'll give you a good reference", and show her the door. Within 15 minutes the stress will have lifted.

FWIW I recognised exactly where you were coming from in your opening post about trying to be flexible and have a nice atmosphere as once upon a time that was me too. That works until it doesn't and usually it is reversed when you realise no-one respects you as there are no rules. And if there are rules, they are rarely/never enforced. I still work hard to create a pleasant working environment but particularly with new starters we are now all over it to make sure behaviours we don't appreciate are nipped in the bud. And we would not hesitate to let go if we've made the case and it still isn't taken on board. Our latest termination lasted 8 days with us. This isn't normal as we're typically very fortunate with new hires and low staff turnover but I saw behaviour I didn't like, warned about it in the first week, saw it again in the second week and decided I'd seen enough.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 By: SillyBill Member since: Dec 11, 2019