How we can stop global warming

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by Devvert, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Conglomer Group

Conglomer Group UKBF Newcomer Free Member

75 3
    Hello folks,

Yes it is real as peoples use to say about this. Global warming refers to an increase in the average temperature of the Earth as a result of the greenhouse effect, in which gases in the upper atmosphere trap solar radiation close to the planet's surface instead of allowing it to dissipate into space.
    Both natural and human-made conditions can contribute to global warming, but human beings can do several things to reduce the effects.

• Reduce fossil fuels
    • Plant tree as many as you can to support environment
    • Reduce waste
    • Conserve water
    I always used to say the more greener you will go further, ultimately more beneficial for yourself.

Thanks and Regards
    Conglomer Group

Posted: Nov 11, 2013 By: Conglomer Group Member since: Nov 9, 2013
  2. Nuno

Nuno UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,783 1,607
    What do you say now?

Posted: Nov 11, 2013 By: Nuno Member since: Oct 10, 2011
  3. Conglomer Group

Conglomer Group UKBF Newcomer Free Member

75 3
    Definitely, prefer to choose green mode. Well this is not limited to use paper bags and vehicles emitting low CO2. I must say all of the activities involved in human life can be made useful for the environment.

Posted: Nov 11, 2013 By: Conglomer Group Member since: Nov 9, 2013
  4. Jeff Nev

Jeff Nev UKBF Regular Free Member

219 24
    Hi all,

The sheer volume of replies to this thread suggests just how much people have to say on it, and I am afraid I may have missed the boat but it is very interesting to see how people are reacting to such an international issue that is far from resolution. I have been seeing more and more in science and politics over how best to resolve the problem. Energy policy events and conferences are becoming ever more popular across all categories, politics, economics and science. (For those that are interested, Westminster Energy Forum hosts some, though there are several more across the capital, this is the only one I have been actively following!)

It does seem that we have pretty sure set ideas on the science side but the politics and economics just do not allow us to fulfill them. It may not be that we are not trying to help the planet but that the ways in which we can are more counter-productive and less appealing to others. It is easy to believe that countries are not interested in helping the global effort by not wanting to participate, but some of the proposed decreases in pollutions could have very damaging effects on the economy - for some this is justifiable, for others it is not.

Best,
    Jeff

Posted: Mar 13, 2014 By: Jeff Nev Member since: Nov 14, 2013
  5. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,407 650
    Eat more kangaroos.

Posted: Mar 21, 2014 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  6. Nuno

4,783 1,607
    Jeez Jeff,
    you don't not like your double negatives do you?

"It may not be that we are not trying to help the planet "
    Translation: We are trying to help the planet.
    "..countries are not interested in helping the global effort by not wanting to participate.."
    Translation: countries want to help.

You're welcome.

Posted: Mar 21, 2014 By: Nuno Member since: Oct 10, 2011
  7. Nuno

4,783 1,607
    I think you missed your calling as a leading QC with that elegant, pellucid* and convincing argument.

* £1000/hour QC word.

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 By: Nuno Member since: Oct 10, 2011
  8. Excel Expert

Excel Expert Guest

0 0
    A bit of a side question....

There is no doubt the world is warming up and seeing changing weather patterns. However is it 100% man made? I believe pollution is certainly contributing to the weather and ozone changes. I also believe we need to reduce this effect as much as we can, however I'm doubtful that is 100% down to pollution.

The planet has seen constant fluctuations in weather and temperatures for as long as we can back calculate. So how much is man made and how much is nature doing its work?

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 By: Excel Expert Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  9. Excel Expert

Excel Expert Guest

0 0
    It is not Kangeroo meat we are supposed to be switching to, I thought it was supposed to be insects and bugs? They produce far less gasses and are quicker/easier to farm

10. japancool

3,407 650
    That's the point - kangaroos don't fart like cows do.

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  11. Excel Expert

Excel Expert Guest

0 0
  12. faradaykeynes

faradaykeynes UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,636 467
    Venus is the hottest planet, with surface temperatures over 400 °C (752°F), most likely due to the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and that's all nature at work, Man kind is insignificant in terms of size BUT a crucial element in creation. We like it or not we have no control over temperature of earth, living life as close to nature is good and ideal.

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 By: faradaykeynes Member since: Apr 19, 2012
  13. Nuno

4,783 1,607
    What do you mean? Renouncing technology? Living in caves? Double entry with a flint axe? :)

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 By: Nuno Member since: Oct 10, 2011
  14. faradaykeynes

faradaykeynes UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,636 467
    Not renouncing technology but changing extreme attitude towards life e.g some factors are literally pushing human race toward blind consumerism, people spending beyond their means and requirements.

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 By: faradaykeynes Member since: Apr 19, 2012
  15. japancool

3,407 650
    There's an interesting sentence in the article - "when fed the same diet as cows". But do they fart on their natural diet? In which case, let's put some cows in a room, feed them the same diet as kangaroos and see if we can get non-farting cows!

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  16. Ethicsandprofits

Ethicsandprofits UKBF Newcomer Free Member

45 3
    With sun power! Build loads of solar panels, till we manage nuclear fusion

Posted: Jun 29, 2014 By: Ethicsandprofits Member since: Jun 25, 2014
  17. Davek0974

Davek0974 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,530 308
    Solar panels are not the answer, taking into account of the processes and difficulties in making them plus the difficulties of disposing of them when spent, they are not green at all.

Posted: Jun 30, 2014 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  18. DexSmart

DexSmart UKBF Regular Full Member

231 26
    I would start with some nice houses that this guys are doing Greenecobuildings.co.uk. I guess more or less we need serious to think about to alternative electricity for our homes. I read on an article that a guy managed to build a house which at the end was consuming in the winter time just 50 pounds to provide heat. I don't know about the electricity but what I saw from the pictures was that he made a lot of windows to south. Is that a passive house model? I guess there are many examples online but how many are effective in order to save the environment.!?

Posted: Sep 8, 2014 By: DexSmart Member since: Jan 10, 2011
  19. Nuno

4,783 1,607
    It was only last week I saw an article in the papers about a new school, finished in 2010, which was built to all wondrous green specifications, but had to be knocked down as the leaks were so bad it couldn't be repaired.
    Green cave anyone?

Posted: Sep 8, 2014 By: Nuno Member since: Oct 10, 2011
  20. Excel Expert

Excel Expert Guest

0 0
    I think there are a lot of small wins coming together to form one big win on this front.

For example this week I have seen news of a transparent solar panel which can be retro fitted to existing windows and even walls. There could be some argument about how economic it is for a family to fit them, but the energy savings for the planet could be considerable.

Else where on the forum is a debate about the EU limiting the power consumption of electrical goods (particularly with the motor sizes in vacuum cleaners). It does not really save the family home money as what they save in electric gets eaten up by the slight increase in the cost of the cleaner in the first place. The EU have done the same with fridges, freezers, TVs and are now working through different types of electrical goods.

I think the biggest problem is that there are two sets of financial figures going on. Firstly we have the household financials - it would take the average family a good few years to recoup the cost of solar panels and other energy producers. Add in to the added cost of buying energy efficient products and the savings the made in electricity are wiped out. So there is very little drive there.

Then we have the EU wide figures. If a family household reduces their electricity usage by 5p a day, across the 200 million homes in the EU that equates to £3.5 billion less electricity being used. We roughly save 5p a day for each energy efficient device we use. So if we all use LED lights and energy efficient TVs, fridges, freezers etc we need to produce £14 billion less of electricity. These are little bites at the amount of electricity we use but they mount up (BTW I dont believe the EU are doing this to be green, I think they are doing it to be less reliant on the Middle East and Russia for fuel).

For people to get really interested in being green we need to solve the money problems at the individual home level first.

Posted: Sep 8, 2014 By: Excel Expert Member since: Jan 1, 1970