General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

How to stop harassment from debt collectors

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by paulears, Nov 25, 2020.

1. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,645 1,248
    I'm getting grumpy now. Opus energy who don't supply my energy keep sending letters to my office trying to recover outstanding payments for the previous occupier. The period on the invoices and letters ends two months before I moved in. I asked them to supply my electricity, but they don't do new small business accounts, so I went with British Gas, and Opus billed me from my initial meter reading up to the transfer, pointing out they were allowed to do this, and at a premium price - but all paid and forgotten. They have my business name, my name and it's done. However, the letters are all addressed to the occupier, not the name of the previous firm. I speak to them on the phone and they say they will sort it. They have, by giving it to a debt collection agency, who are also directing strong letters to the occupier. I have written to them pointing out I'm not responsible and neither is the tenant upstairs - we both get our energy elsewhere. I have even given them a link to companies house where the previous company is clearly dissolved and the name of the previous person clearly listed. I've told them not to keep bothering me, but I suspect they well. Any tips to get this sorted. I don't like vague threats, but equally, I don't want to spend my time trying to phone and email. My plan now is just to ignore them? What do you think?

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  2. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,040 769
    Check out debt forums, there is a process via letters where you can charge them for each and every correspondence, you decide your own rates.

Other than that a solicitors letter with a bill for your and his time might focus their minds.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,745 643
    Until this go's any further I wouldn't worry about it. You have done nothing wrong so they cannot take you or your company to court. At the end of the day the issue lays with the former tenants and the energy company. Alex

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  4. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

14,920 4,026
    Write to the debt collectors explaining the circumstances and that the debt is not yours.

Add that any further communication from them in relation to this matter will be considered harassment and reported to the police.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  5. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,645 1,248
    Thanks for the advice - I sent the fella an email, setting out all the facts and ending by telling him I could assist no further and please do not contact me again. I added on that if they did, any further work on their behalf would be charged for, and any additional communications would be acceptance of this condition.

I got a response - asking me for reference numbers and dates, so I sent them, and enclosed the invoice - and then for a flourish, added their own scary paragraph about legal action, expenses and vague threats their letter to me here contained. We will see ...............

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Posted: Dec 2, 2020 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  6. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,972 937

This is the correct action.

I had a similar situation, and it did take a long time to stop the letters completely - over a year, in fact. Eventually they stopped.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010