How to spend a small marketing budget?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by MRL, Jan 8, 2019.

1. MRL

MRL UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Hi guys,

I am after some advice.

We are looking at spending around 1k per month on marketing/advertising, where do you think this is best spent nowadays? Adwords? SEO? Mailshots?

Business primarily comes from word of mouth and cold calling at present.

I quite like the idea of a self employed telesales person, has anyone tried this?

Regards

MRL

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 By: MRL Member since: Jan 8, 2019
  2. Calvin Crane

Calvin Crane UKBF Regular Full Member

191 29
    Absolutely do SEO you won't need that much and it will then cost less to maintain you can do that for a portion of your budget. If you need quick sales or leads then marketing through PPC will be needed but get some help to write or make good copy ad content and videos. Also be careful of the setup or your budget will go and you won't get the leads. Your funnel needs to be setup correctly before you start; another reason to go pro.. (at least while you get a feel for it).

Depending on your business you would use only one or two social media PPC channels. Once the SEO is going well you can then back off the paid ads and start to get referral marketing.

You might try telemarketing if you have a good list, or again get one built then try. You might consider paid funnels to help with that.
    At least you have a decent budget for a mix of the above to work including ad spend.

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 By: Calvin Crane Member since: Jun 8, 2018
  3. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,191 1,715
    This diagram is based on a survey done 10 years ago - and holds true today, although today there would be a subsection in 'Digital' called Social Media I'm sure, and I think the ROI on SEO will be downgraded a bit ( SEO is harder therefore more expensive now most spam / black hat techniques are dead )

My take on it ( does depend on product, if you are selling stair lifts it is very different to selling iPhone screen repairs )
    - PPC ( Google & / or Facebook ) First
    - Email marketing 2nd
    - SEO third

and with a small budget forget telesales / print / direct mail etc

https://connect.goalscape.com/#/goal/2F8A9523-70B2-CD6A-14F5-07BA4B5B3DBC/note/

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  4. Alan

6,191 1,715
    p.s. yes we tried telesales - wasted every penny -> zero sales during our test

Just some rough figures over time approximated, from my personal experience over the last 8 years

- Telesales - cost £1,000 - sales zero
    - Print - Cost £1,000 - sales zero
    - Exhibitions - Cost £1,000 - sales £300
    - Email marketing - Cost £1,000 - Sales £2,000
    - SEO - Cost £1,000 ( difficult to asses as I DIY ) - Sales £2,000
    - PPC - Cost £1,000 - Sales £5,000

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  5. MRL

MRL UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Thank you both that is very helpful.

99% of our sales are B2B do you think this would work for facebook?

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 By: MRL Member since: Jan 8, 2019
  6. Calvin Crane

191 29
    Disagree on the order with you Alan, SEO is the one thing where you are building up something that will last (if you do it correctly). It is the most sustainable method and the search engine isn't going anywhere for a decade. Email marketing can work but is really niche dependent. You should do this as part of SEO which is constant gardening constant marketing...in fact SEO done right you can do a 3 month burst every year and hold between..
    Also the chart which I agree to a large extent shows SEO as secondary to PPC which is not how I view it today from my own clients and 18 years experience.
    Email marketing open rates are disgustingly low, a lot of people make money selling the methods and functionality so they will tell you how good they are all day long.

7. Calvin Crane

191 29
    If you are B2B then linkedin can be a viable social channel and your business page should be setup well. Yes facebook can work however targeting might be less obvious as facebook is tuned to personal interests of course.
    Linkedin has very high CPC rates however the quality of the traffic is much better as you can target and get beyond the gatekeeper for any company which is pretty powerful.

8. dotcomdude

dotcomdude UKBF Regular Full Member

249 31
    Had someone do B2B telesales for me [for about 3/4 weeks] just over 5 years ago, and still have most of the clients now on monthly retainer...

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 By: dotcomdude Member since: Jul 27, 2018
  9. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,052 867
    I would completely disagree with the above responses - not because they are necessarily wrong, but because they have made no attempt to verify if they are right

Before you start throwing money at any medium, you really want to put some real effort into identifying in the finest possible detail who your target client is, where they hang out and what benefits you are offering them

Until you do that you risk any medium being a bottomless pit

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Alan

6,191 1,715
    The verification approach we took was the testing approach - i.e come up with a hypothesis, test it and discard the least successful. Based loosely on 'The Bullseye Framework for Getting Traction'.

Businesses are different, different products & services, different ethos, different target customer, so in my mind the 'testing' approach is the only approach.

I think I made it clear my responses were based on 1) a survey result and 2) my personal experience

11. Calvin Crane

191 29
    Mark- Any good marketing guy will need to test and iterate. There is no sane data that can prove anyone right or wrong and it is of course niche dependent. We all (hopefully) are going by our own experiences here. I certainly would not trust data online in any infographic. I would not trust anyone who said they could get me to number 1 in google like I would not trust anyone who make any claims.

On Telesales it's a skilled job and that makes a big difference, it's like saying I love Green. I love some green shades :) Cold calling has worked for myself done by myself and I have used a very good provider in the past.

12. Calvin Crane

191 29
    Alan I agree with your last here- cross posted.

13. Alan

6,191 1,715
    That said, if I were to jump start a business with £1,000 marketing budget per month - the first thing I would do is pump it into PPC :)

14. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,855 1,004
    Nobody can give any sort of advice based on the info in this thread. We don't even know the business type.

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  15. Calvin Crane

191 29
    SEO is always helpful no matter who what or where.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 By: Calvin Crane Member since: Jun 8, 2018
  16. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Full Member

12,142 4,218
    This!

The thread is full of people spouting utter crap, based on nothing beyond their own self interests.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  17. Calvin Crane

191 29
    If you say so :) Yes I am here for business happy to say so. Sorry if that offends it's a business forum. People come for info we give it, take it or leave it.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 By: Calvin Crane Member since: Jun 8, 2018
  18. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

6,985 1,531
    No-one can possibly comment on the best way to spend your budget as you haven't said what you are selling and who you are target audience is (not small businesses or everyone) but a clear indication of the sort of businesses who would use your product or service and the sort of decision maker you are targeting.

In very general terms FB isn't a great channel for most B2B.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  19. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,855 1,004
    Maybe we should qualify our statements a little more by saying that nobody who knows what they are doing can give advice based on the limited info.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  20. davidlee21

davidlee21 UKBF Contributor Free Member

39 4
    I would say spend 20%-30% of the total profit on marketing. ALways keep an eye on the ROI of the business while deciding marketing budget.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 By: davidlee21 Member since: Dec 27, 2018