How to reduce fleet fuel bills, improve efficiency and comply with legislation

Discussion in 'Press Releases' started by -, May 18, 2012.

1. Guest

0 0
    How do you keep your fleet running costs down whilst improving response times, improving customer service, improve efficiency and compliance?

This is how Zenith Hygiene have done it

Zenith Hygiene Group had five business objectives when it installed TomTom across its 117 vehicles: customer service, cost, efficiency, compliance and green credentials.

After just six months, it is achieving success in each of those areas, according to TomTom marketing manager Uk and Ireland Irvin Gray.

Customer service improvements include service level agreement compliance, conflict resolution and accurate arrival time estimates which have led to business retain and winning new customers.
    Cost savings have seen average fuel consumption rise from 26mpg in June to 43mpg by September, primarily through behavioural change[/B]. The number of events - typically speeding, harsh cornering and braking - and idling times have fallen.

Consequently, CO2 emissions have fallen, also helped by more efficient deployment of resource, vehicle utilisation and routing.

Efficiency has risen thanks to improved workflow management and better scheduling, resulting in more jobs completed per day. On-time delivery performance has risen by 13%.

And compliance to fleet policy has improved. Prior to installation, Zenith's worst drivers were averaging 200-plus 'events' per day. Now the fleet average is 50 per day.

"Our system is also helping Zenith to comply with HMRC through accurate business and private mileage and with VOSA by removing tachograph violations," Gray said. "And it knows who is responsible for any fixed penalty notices through the drive ID system."

He added: "Overall, it is saving £10,000 per month, or more than £1,000 per vehicle per year. Return on investment was within six months"

So how do you keep your costs down i would be interested to know......

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012
    Posted: May 18, 2012 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  2. arcon5

arcon5 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,565 496
    So sat nav has nearly doubled economy, unlikely. And as far as the other factors go there will be more to this than a poxy electronic road map with a moving dot on it.

At least it's not the usual gibberish type of spam I guess

Last edited: May 18, 2012
    Posted: May 18, 2012 By: arcon5 Member since: Sep 6, 2006
  3. monthlylocal

monthlylocal UKBF Regular Free Member

439 11
    Out of interest, how are you getting CANBUS information out of a TomTom?

Posted: May 20, 2012 By: monthlylocal Member since: Nov 20, 2008
  4. Guest

0 0
    TomTom's solution is part of webfleet.

We have 2 ways we can achieve this, for HGV we would recommend the Link 510 which is specifically aimed at HGV's and uses the FMS gateway and provides information such as Fuel per trip, odemeter, speed, Fuel Level, RPM, PTO.

Alternately TomTom have a second option that is available and is ideal for lighter vehciles such as vans and cars called ecoPLUS which works by accessing information via the OBD2 port of the vehicle and actively talking to the Link 300 or Link 510 units and transmitting live data back to Webfleet. This fantastic piece of technology gained TomTom an awarded the IT innovation accolade at the 2011 GreenFleet Awards.

TomTom Business Webfleet dashboard is an online application that enables you to manage your fleet, 24 hours a day, from any PC. Webfleet gives you total control over your mobile workforce with real-time information.

If you would a demonstration to understand how TomTom business solutions works please feel free to PM me or click on my sig...

Posted: May 21, 2012 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  5. Paul92

Paul92 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

33 2
    I don't see how using a satnav would improve fuel efficiency. Yes, you would be able to avoid busy areas, meaning less stopping and starting, but I'm not sure you could save that much. Maybe I'm wrong. But what I would suggest to someone looking to lower their fuel costs would be to look at using biofuels, and I am surprised a lot more businesses aren't to be honest.

Posted: May 21, 2012 By: Paul92 Member since: Apr 8, 2012
  6. Guest

0 0
    Biofuel is one answer to help lower the initial fuel costs, however what about driver habits and vehicle maintainance costs and lets say non efficient driving styles. Our solutions help not only businesses gain control of there mobile workforce but also enabling drivers to gain better greener driving habits whilst on the move.

Posted: May 21, 2012 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  7. Guest

0 0
    I fully understand why you may think being the TomTom name why it would be about satnav, however TomTom Business Solutions is the division of TomTom NV dedicated to commercial vehicle fleets. I would be happy to show you if you are interested.

As we all know recent times have seen the rise and fall of fuel prices, which has highlighted how changes in fuel price can have a major effect on the way you operate your business. It has also highlighted the importance of monitoring and containing these costs, and many vehicle managers are turning to technology and are employing a range of measures to limit the impact on your business.

How your people drive their cars, vans, trucks and buses has a major influence on fuel performance. Excessive speed, acceleration and braking are the main culprits when it comes to reducing the distance each litre of fuel will take a vehicle. If you have real-time information at your finger tips this will allow you to make snap decisions that keep your mobile workforce 1 step ahead and still reap the rewards that such systems offer.

There are many solutions out there to lower the costs of having a mobile workforce but having 1 that is future proof, reliable, user friendly and proven to work is essential.

Posted: May 24, 2012 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  8. monthlylocal

monthlylocal UKBF Regular Free Member

439 11
    A sat-nav or routing software alone would produce limited savings - However as TomTom are linking straight into the FMS then they can now access a range of information such as harsh-braking events, torque, green-band driving etc etc - all of which can be managed with drivers to drive MPG improvement.

It's not uncommon for fleets to be able to achieve 10% fuel savings using these kind of telematics systems - We are talking big numbers dependant on fleet size.

Posted: May 27, 2012 By: monthlylocal Member since: Nov 20, 2008
  9. Guest

0 0
    Couple this with reduced costs in communications, maintainance insurance, paperwork, time and more the savings are very significant and with your r.o.i usually within 6-8months telematics/tracking for any company whether you have 1 or 1000 vehicles is the future for your mobile workforce.

Posted: May 28, 2012 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970