How to keep an idea 'protected'

geek84

Free Member
Jan 24, 2014
Good Morning folks
I have come up with an idea which may help individuals who have some kind of disability to use general house hold DIY tools (screw driver, hammer, nails, chisels, drills etc) more easily.
However, I would need to do a lot of research and expand my knowledge on those particular tool(s) before trying to come up with a prototype.
How do I find out if that idea is already on the market? Would I just 'google' it?
How do I know it will be in demand?

Thanks in advance for your responses

It really depends what you mean by an idea

You can protect brands, processes and technologies

If it really us just an idea- eg 'something that helps people to grip stuff' then you can't really protect it , and there is a high chance that it already exists.

Already exists is often a good thing,bleating you to adopt and adapt for your own target market

Upvote 0

AstEver

Free Member
Jan 10, 2019
UK
everAst.net
Although protection is important and should be taken care of, there is always a risk that it will not be sufficient. I think that one should focus more on taking advantage of being the first mover, monitor the market for imitators and particularly the second mover, who seems to be more successful in seizing opportunities especially if they are big, and develop a strategy (even before entering the market) for the time when competitors start emerging.

You can start your market research by conducting a 'desk research', but you need to think about what the sources of information about the market, demand, potential profitability, trends, etc. are going to be, so 'just googling it' will not do. Then, depending on the results and research constraints (i.e. time, cost, scope) you can conduct research that is close to potential customers/consumers and competitors.

Upvote 0

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu