How to gain my first client?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Adam D'sa, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Adam D'sa

Adam D'sa UKBF Newcomer Free Member

ahaha sorry for the repetition, I am new to this forum so i'm still getting use to things
    Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: Adam D'sa Member since: Feb 28, 2018
  2. Adam D'sa

It will be cheaper to pay me to deal with your social media than to pay staff to do it.
  3. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

Maybe you need a social media expert to post on your behalf. :D
    Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  4. Adam D'sa

ahaha my brother is going to help out too as he is very good at writing unlike me, as you can tell. I will work on the marketing side as that's what my degree/expertise is in :)
  5. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

OK so you have my attention. Why should I choose you for my agency? - keep it brief.
    Posted: Mar 1, 2018 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  6. Andy Martin

Andy Martin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

If you do not know how to get customers is this for you?
    Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: Andy Martin Member since: Mar 4, 2018
  7. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

Why would you chose to invest the time and money in social media when by far the majority of people will just google a firm and look at their website, so why not spend the money on SEO for better long term rewards
    Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Big Shot Full Member

I found it very easy posting a picture of a van in the snow on twitter
    Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  9. Toby Willows

Toby Willows UKBF Regular Free Member

That’s a excellent example. You either post it yourself with whatever you want to say, or spend extra time emailing the photo and words to a third party and wait for them to copy and paste it to your social media :confused:

I just can’t see one iota of benefit in having someone else run your social media.

I can see why larger businesses would have a employee taking care of it though, but that would be a employee with a thorough understanding of the business and it’s clients.
    Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: Toby Willows Member since: Jun 20, 2016
  10. BusterBloodvessel

BusterBloodvessel UKBF Contributor Free Member

OK, my question would be (and is, as I get approached about this regularly)...why?

Why are you going to save me money? I don't spend anything on social media now.

Why do I need a social media presence? By spending money on your services, what is going to be the end product? And just "having a social media presence" isn't a good enough answer. You need to tell me why what you are doing is going to grow my sales and/or profits. Otherwise, what's the point?

Can you answer that question? In particular if you are approaching people I would try to find some background on their business and tailor your answer to suit, or even have different case studies for different types of businesses that you can demo as appropriate.

So, for example, in my day job I am a product & marketing manager for a firm that makes car parts, selling to both vehicle manufacturers and the independent aftermarket. We don't supply to end users, only to large national distributors in approximately 35 countries. They then redistribute to local factors, shops etc who in turn sell on to the consumer.

So, what would you recommend for me as a social media strategy? What would you do and what would be the end result, and when?
    Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: BusterBloodvessel Member since: Jan 22, 2018
  11. leadresults

leadresults UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Adam, BusterBloodvessel has hit the nail on the head. You need to sell 'why and how companies should be using social media' and not 'social media management services'. What is more powerful:

1) I will manage your social media for you and this will save costs.
    2) I will win you new business and increase your sales by managing your social media.

Sell what the client/business will get from correctly managed social media. Once you have wrapped the benefits up into a very short sales pitch, tailor it to the business/client you are trying to win and use your social media skills to get that message to the client. If you can get a conversation going with a potential client by using the exact same marketing method (social media) you are promoting then you will have proved the value very early on.

I hope this helps....
    Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: leadresults Member since: Mar 8, 2018
  12. pbdesigns

pbdesigns UKBF Regular Free Member

Don't forget that organic social media marketing is dying a death. It's not the lead generator it used to be.

Social media is great as a support tool, but the organic reach is falling off a cliff, especially for Facebook.

LinkedIn can still be very powerful for certain industries when used correctly. But really, in many cases it's far better to invest in paid social media marketing.on Facebook and paid search on Google AdWords.

So OP, time to present a strong reason to invest in your services - how can you demonstrate an ROI? That's what will convince a client to sign up.
    Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: pbdesigns Member since: Nov 23, 2011
  13. Zono

Zono UKBF Regular Free Member

Hi Adam,
    I'm just about to launch a new online business, ( hoping to lunch another soon !) Why not give me a free trial run and show your skills at the same time :)
    Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: Zono Member since: Sep 15, 2010
  14. sjrichards

sjrichards UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Go to the companies you've worked with in the past. Nothing is better than personal knowledge and experience of how good and easy to work for you are.
    My first client was someone I had worked with in my full time role (not directly) and they were able to give me 2 large-ish contracts. However more importantly they were so chuiffed with the work that they told anyone that would listen to use me and spawned another 5+ contracts.

Also worth considering charging only for results - so the more sales/leads your work leads to the more money you get.

Whoever you get up first absolutely go above and beyond and hope they push your name on further. Good luck
    Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: sjrichards Member since: Mar 8, 2018
  15. bigbuzzbelfast

bigbuzzbelfast UKBF Regular Full Member

I know you are new here Adam but a website promoting what you do might be good also, after all besides somebody finding you on facebook or any other social media you'd need to point them somewhere to sell your services.

Now it may be the case that you have a website but I can't seem to find it. I know as a newly registered member you can't post the link but you could perhaps put in in your profile information.
    Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: bigbuzzbelfast Member since: Mar 19, 2017