General Business Forum Brought to you by Square
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

How to gain my first client?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Adam D'sa, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Adam D'sa

Adam D'sa UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 1
    Hi,

I would like to startup a social media management agency after studying and working on social media for a while and also because I am very passionate about the idea of starting a company of this type. However, I don't know what would be the best way to gain my first client. I was thinking to call up businesses but I believe many companies already have a lot of people calling them up for my type of services often. What would you recommend for me to do to help gain my first client?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: Adam D'sa Member since: Feb 28, 2018
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

7,376 768
    Market your services

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Adam D'sa

11 1
    What platform would you recommend for me to market my services though? For example, over social media or by physically walking in to shops and speaking to business owner?

4. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,163 869
    What would you be doing for your customers to gain their own customers?
    That is what you should probably be doing for yourself.

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

7,376 768
    Would expect a marketing agency to be aware of the best ways of marketing a business. If social media is what you are good at you may want to start with what you are good at and work round to other methods over time.

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. Adam D'sa

11 1
    I would be willing to accept this. I guess it will just be a job of trying to network first.

7. WeblinkPlus

WeblinkPlus UKBF Ace Free Member

2,709 923
    Talk to people you already know and do business with. Make them a godfather offer...
    Use that as a case study/testimonial...
    Then approach other businesses using the case study.
    Also put a referral system in place.

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: WeblinkPlus Member since: Sep 13, 2009
  8. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,530 251
    Tell us here, in less than 15 seconds of speech time, why we should employ your business.

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  9. NewGardenStyle

NewGardenStyle UKBF Regular Free Member

362 79
    Concentrate on building a portfolio / evidence of successful campaigns you have run. If this means giving away your service to begin with, so be it. The idea of a case study above is a good one. This may also lead you toward a particular niche...better to be good at servicing a niche than trying to be all things to all people.

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: NewGardenStyle Member since: Jun 26, 2014
  10. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,373 799
    What exactly is a Social Media Marketing Agency? I'm oddly not being funny - but I get regular emails offering to run my social media, and I can't personally think why I'd pay somebody to do this. what exactly would you do for clients, and why would you do it better than them - and what kind of clients would they be?

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  11. NewGardenStyle

362 79
    OK, so social media marketing marketing be of little use or interest to you, but for some businesses SMM can provide a rich vein of leads / sign ups / sales / whatever.

Planning and executing a successful campaign is certainly a skill, and the chances of the business owner without those skills hitting a home run on the first attempt are very small. This is why some business owners dabble in social media, fail to get anywhere and proclaim 'SMM doesn't work' when actually their business might be a very good fit for it.

12. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,373 799
    I get it - sorry for the dim questions, but does the agency operate the social media side for you, or just set up the system? On the few times I've posted on a business Facebook site, was I actually talking to an agency, or the actual company? Doesn't this mean giving considerable responsibility to people who aren't actually in the firm? How does it actually operate in practice?

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  13. NewGardenStyle

362 79
    Over to you OP:)

14. Adam D'sa

11 1
    I will manage your social media, while you manage your business. Helping to save time, money and increase growth for your business.

15. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,404 835
    Decent social media experts are something of a paradox, and actually usually only exist in their own imaginations.

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  16. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,163 869
    I am just wondering how me paying someone to post on facebook/twitter etc will help me save money because at the minute it costs me nothing.

That is kind of me asking (but in a devils advocate kind of way) but also I would assume any business is going to ask the same question.

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  17. Adam D'sa

11 1
    The agency will operate the social media side. Also the company will be in contact with the agency about changes etc.. but if there is no important info from the agency then I will post content that will be of good quality following social media strategy. It does mean giving considerable responsibility but it will be cheaper than paying staff to do it and my staff will be professionally trained to deal with social media.

18. Adam D'sa

11 1

19. Adam D'sa

11 1
    The agency will operate the social media side. Also the company will be in contact with the agency about changes etc.. but if there is no important info from the agency then I will post content that will be of good quality following social media strategy. It does mean giving considerable responsibility but it will be cheaper than paying staff to do it and my staff will be professionally trained to deal with social media.

20. Adam D'sa

11 1
    ahaha sorry for the repetition, I am new to this forum so i'm still getting use to things