How to find a website designer / developer?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Faevilangel, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrangeSoftware

OrangeSoftware UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    I've been "web developing" for 4 years however i still can't do above what i would call an alright design. i outsource the design side to a local freelancer who is very good at what he does.

I think its becoming more and more common that the two are split as creating a good unique design is getting harder and harder.

I have full respect for good designers.

Posted: Apr 3, 2013 By: OrangeSoftware Member since: Apr 3, 2013
  2. aprilfloyd

aprilfloyd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 0
    Don't get hung on the terms 'web designer' or 'web developer' it is not important - decide what it is that you want the website to 'achieve' e.g. x sales of y product from z market, or 'new members' or 'number of sales leads and talk to web companies that come up with good solutions. That is how I approach clients. I don't want a referral from them that they liked the shade of blue we use, rather that we helped them grow their business, by understanding their business needs, there target customers and also that their website paid for itself.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: aprilfloyd Member since: Apr 3, 2013
  3. ChalkyJim

ChalkyJim Banned

47 10
    I agree .

I found my website Guys from typing in "google expert web designers" as https://www.google.com/search?q=seo...16,d.ZGU&fp=9d62ffac663ef7ec&biw=1049&bih=483

and my web makers had positions 1 and 2 on page 1 listings !! good enough for me i figured and at £ 30 a month a bargain ..

A good indicator people should use.. forget the hype they spew on here , facts speak bull walks as they say :D

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: ChalkyJim Member since: Mar 22, 2013
  4. Media Agile

Media Agile UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    You should always use a web developer who understands SEO and social network marketing. A page of text and graphics is not enough, however gorgeous looking. I can either use the designs supplied to me to build a site or call in a web graphic designer to get the look and feel but the underlying code is very important. I do feel there are too many designers who use a package to build your site and too often a template and do not understand the real nuts and bolts which is essential. Do not throw your money away on sites that cost too little as you get what you pay for. This is the biggest reason that you find the developer/designer can not be contacted for upgrades, after they took your money, as they really do not understand what`s under the hood, they were after an easy buck.

Posted: Apr 6, 2013 By: Media Agile Member since: Apr 6, 2013
  5. Media Agile

6 0
    Web designers do the graphical look and feel. Their area of expertise is unlikely to be SEO. Also SEO is an on-going concern that either the business needs to do or they need to hire an expert. This expert may not be your web developer but the developer needs to understand good coding practises to make the SEO work.

Try not to look for an all-in-one solution and use a designer for design, a developer for development and a SEO marketing expert for marketing. This is not an area for saving money and looking for a bargain if you want a successful business.

SEO can take up alot of time too and can be costly.

6. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,298 1,741
    Or better still use a web developer that gives you a CMS where you get full control over the content, title tags etc. Then if you want you can do the SEO yourself, or if you don't have time, shop around for a SEO that is best for you. That way you are not tied into the Web developer / designer for your rankings.

lol @Media Agile, unless I mis understood you your two posts contradict each other - 1. always get a developer that understands SEO veruss 2. dont mix design, development & SEO

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    Posted: Apr 6, 2013 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  7. Media Agile

6 0
    You have misunderstood me. I said get a web developer that understands SEO for coding standards and not a web developer who claims to do SEO, as few I know do or have the time or inclination.

If you want to pick an argument and appear an expert get it right.

8. Media Agile

6 0
    p.s. Yes, use a CMS, of course.

9. Alan

6,298 1,741
    Thank you for clarifying. Re-reading your first post I understand now what you are saying, which I have no arguement with.

Posted: Apr 6, 2013 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  10. davidjwest

davidjwest UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 4
    The age of a domain is a factor when it comes to Google rankings, so the top ranked sites are often there due to their age - at least partly.

Also the term "google expert web designers" is searched for less than 10 times per month according to Google themselves, so ranking highly for that term isn't optimal and there will be low or no competition.

But if you're happy with them and your site is ranking highly you've done well.

Posted: Apr 9, 2013 By: davidjwest Member since: Apr 9, 2013
  11. dcmalbans

dcmalbans UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 1
    What a fab post, I don't believe you do get two for one, use separate individuals for each discipline.

Posted: Apr 19, 2013 By: dcmalbans Member since: Jun 26, 2012
  12. forumsolanki89

forumsolanki89 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    hi
    it is so interesting to answering you
    web designers basically design the web pages, how webpages would look up and feel.
    how it will become interesting but
    web developer developed the web pages by means of coding through HTML, PHP, JAVA, DOT NET etc. it relates to coding inside the pages but design related to the look only

Posted: Apr 27, 2013 By: forumsolanki89 Member since: Apr 27, 2013
  13. hassel67

hassel67 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

310 22
    You can find designer on freelancing sites such as odesk,freelance,linkedin etc.

Posted: May 31, 2013 By: hassel67 Member since: Mar 29, 2013
  14. wedesignlogos

wedesignlogos UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 0
    I agree with this, you can find through various 'LinkedIn' type of websites, in which you can read their reviews from previous customers to keep your mind at bay as well.

Posted: Jun 2, 2013 By: wedesignlogos Member since: Apr 16, 2013
  15. Ryan McFadyen

Ryan McFadyen UKBF Regular Free Member

115 35
    It should be noted that the fatal flaw with systems like oDesk/Freelancer/etc is that previous customers can only accurately rate certain aspects of a professionals job.

I love receiving feedback from my clients but by definition they are not web design/development professionals and can't speak on the subject with authority. They can like my work, like my service, like my prices and be completely satisfied with the whole package but they wouldn't be my first port of call to secure my PHP login systems.

I like that my mechanic fixed the exhaust on my car but as I'm not a mechanic I can't say with certainty if he actually did a good job or just polished a turd well enough to convince a laymen like me.

If you want quality work look for professionals that are respected by their peers. Go to forums that are dedicated to the industry and look for the people that offer help and are listened to, feel them out, ask them to explain something complex to you. Don't just rely on some previous punter saying they liked them because they were fast.

Posted: Jun 4, 2013 By: Ryan McFadyen Member since: Apr 21, 2013
  16. Alan

6,298 1,741
    Another flaw I discovered, certainly applies to elance. I got someone to do some work that they did so badly that it did not warrant paying. They happily refunded the deposit and cencelled the job. Guess what - you can't leave feedback on jobs that get cancelled / refunded!! AFter that experience I am very wary of these services.

Posted: Jun 6, 2013 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  17. kevin.doran

kevin.doran UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,475 470
    Just to divert back to the original question here; I can categorically state how NOT to find a good website designer/developer and that is by believing somebody is up to the job simply by the wording of their posts and apparent intelligence on a forum.

I've spent the last few months learning the hard way and may very well disclose the situation in full on here (you'll be shocked) should things not take an unexpected turn for the better by the end of the day.

I would now only ever select a designer through personal recommendation from a trusted source as well as potentially even wanting to speak to previous clients to help gauge their opinion as to the level of service they received.

This sector is full of cowboys and chancers in my very humble opinion (and it is humble), there's a lot of dirt to sift through before finding anyone to be trusted. I'm sorry to lay down a blanket statement like that but unfortunately that's my current stance - I only hope it improves once i'm able to move forward.

Posted: Jun 7, 2013 By: kevin.doran Member since: Nov 28, 2011
  18. Alan

6,298 1,741
    I would fully support that you should always speak to (or at least e-mail) a client or two.

Posted: Jun 7, 2013 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  19. EmmaHuston

EmmaHuston UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 1
    Internet! Google is the answer to your question, from where you can reach a handful of proficient website designers and developers. A number of companies are providing individuals on hire basis, and so you can look up for them through the internet.

Posted: Jun 8, 2013 By: EmmaHuston Member since: May 31, 2013
  20. kevin.doran

kevin.doran UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,475 470
    I strongly disagree with that now I've had first hand experience. Again, for me at least, I would now only ever work with somebody who comes highly recommended and then some.

On a more personal note, it would seem my situation is in the process of correcting itself. Said 'developer' has issued credit notes and will reimburse me in full over the coming 7 working days.

The only issue is, they failed to meet every other deadline that was set so I'd be gob-smacked if this proves any different!

Posted: Jun 8, 2013 By: kevin.doran Member since: Nov 28, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.