How To DOUBLE Your Website Sales in 2010

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by Colin Parker, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colin Parker

Colin Parker UKBF Newcomer Free Member

600 333
    I bet that 80% of all businesses who are looking to increase website sales in 2010 will seek to do that by working on ways to increase traffic.

The smart 20% know that there is a far easier way ...

Increasing website conversion.

If you want to double your web sales in 2010 you have two options:

1. Leave your website design as it is and double the traffic.

2. Start split testing your site and aim to double the conversion from the existing traffic.

I guarantee that if you make it your 2010 objective to learn as much as is possible about website conversion techniques you will be richly rewarded.

Colin Parker

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 By: Colin Parker Member since: Mar 2, 2009
  2. Jeff FV

Jeff FV UKBF Big Shot Staff Member

3,628 1,710
    A good piece of advice Colin, thanks.

Any suggestions as to where we can learn more about website conversion techniques?

Jeff

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 By: Jeff FV Member since: Jan 10, 2009
  3. rendy

rendy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

235 74
    Posted: Jan 1, 2010 By: rendy Member since: Aug 13, 2009
  4. Scott-Copywriter

Scott-Copywriter UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,759 2,681
    Best post of 2010. ;)

This is all very true. I write web copy for the purpose of increasing sales conversion rates. It's such a brilliant investment if you pay for copy which permanently gives you more customers out of your existing traffic - as opposed to spending money on temporary traffic which is converting poorly.

Sometimes it makes me cringe how much a site can waste great quality traffic by having a poor converting site with nothing to grab the visitors' attention or persuade them to buy.

There are plenty of things people can learn themselves to improve their sites sales conversion rates. Even the basics such as adding a large headline to a sales page, explaining a few more benefits and de-cluttering a checkout process can make a very surprising difference.

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 By: Scott-Copywriter Member since: May 10, 2006
  5. Colin Parker

600 333
    Jeff- finding good website conversion advice is a problem. There are two reasons for this; very few people have actually mastered it and those who have are reluctant to divulge their results for fear of being copied.

The other factor is that website conversion is influenced by multiple factors which incorporate different skills such as customer profiling, copywriting, graphic design, sales physcology and multivariate testing.

The best place to start is with direct sales led copywriters such as Drayton Bird, Clayton Makepeace and Gary Bencivenga - these guys preach tried, tested and proven ways to increase conversion via compelling copy.

Colin Parker

6. Colin Parker

600 333
  7. breonsnow

breonsnow UKBF Contributor Free Member

46 6
    Great Post and information! ...the year of "conversion"

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 By: breonsnow Member since: May 3, 2009
  8. Colin Parker

600 333
    Here is an example of conversion improvement from Drayton Bird one of the all time great direct marketers:

For instance three years ago a client tested moving the position of one simple phrase on their website order page. Overnight their enquiries went up from 0.8% to 2.2%. It’s still there today.

Since that client is the second largest firm in their field turning over hundreds of millions, God alone knows how much that simple suggestion has made for them.

Moving one simple phrase nearly TREBLED enquiries from the website!

Colin Parker

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 By: Colin Parker Member since: Mar 2, 2009
  9. adventurelife

adventurelife UKBF Ace Full Member

2,040 620
    I hear this advice a lot from professional marketing people but I am afraid I disagree. When you are a large business with hundreds of thousands of customers it holds more weight but when you are a small business you need to create volume if you are going to be in business for the long term.

I work on the opposite rule of that suggested, I spend 80% of online marketing time creating traffic and 20% on studying conversion.

The traffic is targeted so people who find what I do are looking for it. I am not suggestion conversion is not important of course it is and should always be considered but I bet the majority of small businesses on here who have ambitions to grow have a big issue with time and where they spend their valuable time. Create a big enough crowd taking an interest in what you do and you will have the luxury of more time to have a look at conversions in more detail.

Posted: Jan 3, 2010 By: adventurelife Member since: Dec 2, 2007
  10. Scott-Copywriter

9,759 2,681
    You're missing out on a lot of sales then.

Small businesses need to spend every penny wisely, so it's an incredible waste of time if you spend money by forcing targeted visitors to a poor converting site. Instead of receiving 10 customers per 100 targeted visitors which is highly possible, you could only be receiving 5 or less. It's extremely inefficient and money wasted.

Targeted visitors respond to certain things, so a prospect who could decide to give you a call may find nothing of any value in your site and go elsewhere if it isn't good enough.

TEMPORARILY doubling your traffic is FAR more costly than PERMANENTLY doubling your sales conversion rates.

It's all highly possible and I see it happen time and time again. I have a quote on my site from a client of mine. I installed new copy on his site and the sales conversion rate more than doubled. Twice as many sales without a single increase in traffic.

What's even better, is if he then chooses to double his traffic, he will convert twice as much of that extra traffic compared to before. That's a quadruple increase in profit.

I can't stress enough how much of a difference only certain words and minor changes can make.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
    Posted: Jan 3, 2010 By: Scott-Copywriter Member since: May 10, 2006
  11. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Legend Free Member

10,942 3,530
    Say you want to increase the number of new customers you bring in by 20%.

You can do it by finding 20% more traffic or by increasing the conversion rate by 20%.

I'd suggest that, if you've spent all your time so far getting traffic and none of conversion optimisation, it'll be easier to get the 20% higher conversion rate.

(based on the law of diminishing returns)

Also, it tends to take very little time. I recently increased a client's average order value by over 35%, just by adding one sentence to his landing page.

(we then split-test it to see if it made a difference)

And, because he's using paid traffic, that 35% increase in visitor value meant a 110% increase in profit per click.

Steve

Posted: Jan 3, 2010 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  12. adventurelife

2,040 620
    As I said I see this point tome and time again from marketers, that vast majority of whom have never run a business with staff, multiple budgets, time constraints etc. They also do not understand how to grow a business to a reasonable size as their focus is on their discipline which of course it should be:)

If you have 10 visitors a day to your site and you convert 5 that is excellent and will keep you in food but 10 visitors a day will not make a large business, because you need people to tell other people about you and they will not do that in enough numbers unless you get a big enough crowd having a look at what you do.

The reality is I have never really seen it happen in any business I have been involved in that was of a decent size. I am sure you can double the sales of businesses with small amount of sales with better copy etc but can you deliver on the growth that they will need to survive in the long term? As I pointed out I do think converting is very important, however, if you have the right product/service and ensure that you have the right potential customers visiting you conversion will happen.

As with most things in business it is a balance that needs to be struck and weighted against what the business objectives are.

13. adventurelife

2,040 620

I do not disagree on the above numbers from a pure logic basis, but as I have suggested everything needs to be balanced against what the businesses objectives are.

The reality is a business needs to do both, attract potential customers in large growing volume and also grow the conversion ratio.

Many businesses have very long lead times from contact to purchase often many , many months and on some of the services I sell many years. Therefore, no matter what the quality of the conversion copy is they are not going to convert on first visit. The conversion will be based on the quality of the contact that follows over many months. Of course the copy needs to be good enough to motivate them to contact in the first place.

14. directmarketingadvice

10,942 3,530
    If you have a good enough conversion rate, you can buy traffic. If you don't, you can't.

In which case, what do you do? You can't build a profitable online business by buying traffic at a loss.

(i.e. paying more for a sale than the lifetime value of a customer)

So, do you give up on paid traffic and put your business on hold while you try to SEO your site?

What happens if you fail to master SEO?

Of, what happens if you achieve the rankings and then lose them?

Sit there and hope they come back? Or fire your employees until you can get the rankings back?

Steve

15. Scott-Copywriter

9,759 2,681
    The vast majority of good marketers will have experience in working with large businesses anyway so it's irrelevant. Take a look at Jay Abrahams work. He's improved the conversion rates and response rates for very large businesses.

Also, businesses with staff, multiple budgets and time constraints have nothing to do with improving the sales conversion rates. In fact, if you're dealing with a large business and want to expand your business a great deal, then conversion rates should be a priority alongside traffic. It's going to allow you to expand far quicker.
    Well of course you need a lot of traffic to grow your business. No one here is saying that you should keep a low amount of traffic and only boost your conversion rate. The point is, if you increase the rate, then you get more customers out of your current traffic. If you then increase your traffic ten fold, you will get an significantly higher number of sales compared to traffic boosting alone.

If you don't do this, then you're wasting an absolute fortune. Imagine if you had double the amount of sales you've ever had by optimising the sales conversion rate when you first began. This is a realistic opportunity for a lot of people.

Conversion will happen, but it might not happen as much as it could. Increases in conversion rates are the same at any scale, and the more you earn, the more you can make. If you're earning hundreds of thousands, then a permanent increase of 1-3% can be rather a lot of money. Don't you agree?

Many businesses don't look into it much because they're either:

1). Earning a healthy profit and therefore without any motivation to increase the conversion rate.
    2). Unaware of how much of a difference it can make and how much extra sales they could have.
    3). Stubborn.

I agree. You obviously need targeted traffic and a high sales conversion rate. However, neglecting that rate (as many businesses do) is a complete waste of money.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
    Posted: Jan 3, 2010 By: Scott-Copywriter Member since: May 10, 2006
  16. adventurelife

2,040 620
    Horses for courses, I suspect most marketers will do the 80/20 rule with the 80 being conversion. I just happen to do it the other way round as my judgment tells me that is what I need to do to sustain our growth rate.

Again I come back to my experience which at the end of the day is limited to the companies and industries I have worked in.

Most companies I have worked with issues were not converting enough customers from leads but generating more leads. Again if the product/service was the right product/service for a market.

17. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,644
    Glad you said that as I constantly get grief from the conversion /marketeers/PPC brigade.

To reiterate the rule is.

Mass visitors.

Good product.

competative prices.

why they don't take notice of britains biggest and most successfull companies .

I have no idea.?:|

Earl

Posted: Jan 3, 2010 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  18. directmarketingadvice

10,942 3,530
    Are these companies big companies: Google, Amazon, BT, Vodaphone, Sony.

Just curious.

I think you know what they've all got in common...

Two word phrase. Starts with "Split te" and ends with "sting".

Steve

19. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,644
    well as the queen of cheap Amazon has not got much in common with BT which owns the system ,more with Sony cheap products again.

Google very expensive and controlling.

Vodaphone who would have thought you could make a fortune out of hot air.:|

Earl

Posted: Jan 3, 2010 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  20. Colin Parker

600 333
    One of the most frustrating things about being a direct marketer (as I have been for nearly 30 years) is that 80% of business owners just don't get the importance of understanding and applying conversion techniques.

You say most companies you have worked with did not have an issue with conversion. Well I bet most - if not all - of them did not even keep proper conversion statistics backed up by split testing and analysing advertising.

What you really mean is that they believed their conversion was OK and - like most businesses - just decided to carry on 'as normal' and try to increase volume by increasing leads.

I actually know for certain that YOU have never properly tested to improve conversion - either because you can't do it yourself or you think it not worthwhile to pay someone.

How do I know that is true?

Because anyone who has ever properly split tested knows that improving conversion can DOUBLE, TREBLE or even QUADRUPLE sales/enquiries almost overnight. The first time this happens business owners are astounded. They cannot believe it. They are amazed. They become instantly 'converted' to conversion.

You say most marketers have not run businesses. Well I can tell you that the truly great marketers like David Ogilvy, Drayton Bird and Clayton Makepeace to name just three most certainly have. And they have introduced their conversion techniques into companies ranging from start-ups to established multi-nationals with spectacular results.

Drayton Bird tells of one multi-million pound company who increased their ecommerce site conversion from 0.8% to 2.2% just by changing one phrase. That increased their sales almost THREEFOLD and God knows what it did to their profits.

The truth is (but of course you don't realise it) is that your conversion scepticism comes not from marketers not having the experience of running businesses - but from you not having experience of running proper split tests and conversion analysis.

Irrespective of what you say - that is the fact of the matter.

And instead of spitting feathers I suggest you google Drayton Bird, sign up (it's free) and read his 51 marketing/conversion tips.

Colin Parker

Posted: Jan 3, 2010 By: Colin Parker Member since: Mar 2, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.