How to deliver very expensive items

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by scm5436, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scm5436

scm5436 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

757 84
    Indeed, me too, but you're a business and the supplier is a business and no doubt you have some sort of trading history - but if you had to send out something worth 20k to a consumer you'd never done business with before, at a residential address, would you be happy to just whack it on a citylink van and hope it got to the right person? and that the right person wasn't a fraudster?

That's the problem I have here. The customers would be consumers, probably at residential addresses. And the item would probably be easy to flog on...

Posted: Feb 11, 2010 By: scm5436 Member since: Nov 22, 2007
  2. Autoline

Autoline UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Find yourself a good owner driver, who needs more work, you only really need to have it photographed at the hand over point if your that concerned, delivery companies deliver expensive stuff everyday, without any problems.

Posted: Feb 14, 2010 By: Autoline Member since: Feb 9, 2010
  3. KateCB

KateCB UKBF Ace Free Member

2,258 533
    Not always true sadly - I had around £1000 of jewellery delivered to me from my jeweller - Special delivery, signed for by god knows who...signature is NOT mine, nor anyone else who lives in my house....Royal Mail have asked me to complete a form......and they will look into it :( - they have 'looking into it' since last September 21......

Posted: Feb 15, 2010 By: KateCB Member since: May 11, 2006
  4. KDMINX

KDMINX UKBF Newcomer Free Member

659 101
    It's not your job to be chasing RM it's the senders!

The sender needs to refund you the cost, if they don't just phone the bank / CC company and get them to recharge your card (assuming sender is a retailer).

Either way it isn't your problem!

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 By: KDMINX Member since: Jan 6, 2010
  5. scm5436

scm5436 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

757 84
    yes, and parcels also go missing everyday, or damaged, or delivered to the wrong address, or a host of other things that can go wrong with deliveries...

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 By: scm5436 Member since: Nov 22, 2007
  6. Autoline

Autoline UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Yes thats the problem, you used RM, as I said, and it was aimed at the origonal thread, for bigger items, get yourself a local man, owner driver, I would not send anything of value, with any of the big players, I've been in transport 40 years and have worked for some of them mentioned and your right goods goes missing.

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 By: Autoline Member since: Feb 9, 2010
  7. Frankus

Frankus UKBF Regular Free Member

308 59
    Same Day is the way, definitely. I am a same day courier and I know a number of others. Same day couriers take pride in their work and cannot and will not sully their reputation by not providing a top class secure service. You want photos of recipient accepting goods - why not, we all have camera phones. Signatures? sight of passport? Shouldn't be a problem.

Where are you? I might know some one near you.

Cheers

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 By: Frankus Member since: Dec 3, 2009
  8. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

3,870 1,231
    Its against the data protection act to photograph a person or persons private address/property while acting on behalf of a company.

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  9. Frankus

Frankus UKBF Regular Free Member

308 59
    That's right - unless you ask their permission to do so.
    Anyone who intends to defraud would refuse. A genuine recipient would be happy to oblige.

I wasn't suggesting a 'sneaky snap'!

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 By: Frankus Member since: Dec 3, 2009
  10. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,505 598
    I think you already said it would be easy to sell these high value goods on.

I would be really worried about this to be honest. I can see you only delivering to the verified billing address but for the sort of money you are talking about you will certainly be targeted by some v. sophisticated fraudsters I'd imagine.

It would be a realy worry to me to be honest, although I can see the allure of selling high ticket value goods. Perhaps have a look at how some other stores selling truly high value goods arrange delivery.

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.