How to declare and pay customs duty, VAT if personally taking the goods via border

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Lara15, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Lara15

Lara15 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 0
    I will be visiting my suppliers this year and I can bring along with me some small items rather than paying the delivery cost for these. What are they ways of declaring and paying the correct duty for the goods in this instant? I will have the EORI number as well. Thank you in advance for a helpful guidance.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 By: Lara15 Member since: Dec 4, 2018
  2. TheoNe

TheoNe UKBF Regular Full Member

135 14
    So you are taking goods out of the UK? Will you be visiting an EU or non-EU country?

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 By: TheoNe Member since: Jul 6, 2019
  3. Lara15

15 0
    I will be taking the goods out of Non- EU country and I will not be stopping by in EU

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 By: Lara15 Member since: Dec 4, 2018
  4. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,908 971
    I'm still not quite clear. are we talking, for example, about visiting China and then flying home to the UK, when we're out of Europe post Brexit? If so, you can just declare them at the point of entry, which will confuse them a bit, but they can process them. What kind of value and size?

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  5. Lara15

15 0
    I will be travelling out of Turkey, not yet post Brexit in this instant. The value can be up to £600, for example, I'm just wondering if I can declare the goods ( or register them for the payment of VAT etc) at the Something to declare counter or this is only for personal clearance. This is for my accounting purposes. I do not want to smuggle anything illegally but I may save on shipping cost that is. Thank you.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 By: Lara15 Member since: Dec 4, 2018
  6. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

15,048 3,189
    From here.

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/declaring-goods?edition=11

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  7. Mike Godwin

Mike Godwin UKBF Contributor Free Member

94 17
    It depends on what you plan to do with these goods. Are they for your own personal use, are they samples or are you planning to sell them in the UK?

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 By: Mike Godwin Member since: Mar 27, 2018
  8. paulears

3,908 971
    Last time I came back with something valuable that I'd bought while on holiday (a microphone) I went through the something to declare gate, and nobody was there. I rang a bell and an officer turned up. I explained and he asked for the receipt. He decided that I simply needed to pay the VAT and there was a small amount of duty to pay to 4%, from memory. I had enough cash spare so paid with that, got a receipt and then popped it into the accounts to recover the VAT. He thought £800 was quite a lot for a mic, but I explained it was actually worth more than that and was a bargain. Really was quite simple.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  9. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,765 3,428
    Vintage Neumann?

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  10. paulears

3,908 971
    Not sure when vintage came in but you’re dead right a slightly worn 87 that probably came from the late 70s and I sold six weeks later for just over double what I paid. Saw it in in a flight case at the F1 when we were in Abu Dhabi playing and I offered the guy the money and he said yes!

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  11. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,765 3,428
    Nice one! The late 70s is sort of vintage and people are nuts for a good U87.

One has to watch out for fake classics or for the two-for-one trick. Take the insides of something nice like an 87 or a 49 and put the real insides into a fake housing. Take the real housing and put a Chinese fake inside. Done well, they can be quite hard to spot.

I have been able to score a few classic dynamics such as a matched pair of D222 and another pair of D202 from AKG and two Sennheiser MD421-Ns from the 60s - all from people who had no idea what they were or how to wire them up. But I have yet to get an old Neumann that way.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013