How much would this cost??

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by fenton, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenton

fenton Contributor

318 3
    I have a business friend who requires a web site build. He was previously a car trader selling luxury vehicles. He basically wants to retire and is thinking of running a web site selling vehicles for other people.
    To the point he needs to know how much a website similar to www.hotswap.com would cost to design and if anyone on here would be interested in the project.

Cheers guys
    Gary

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 By: fenton Member since: Aug 6, 2007
  2. Calibre Designs

Calibre Designs Contributor

2,868 352
    Hi Gary,

Is your friend based in the UK? If so he will be going against autotrader which will be a difficult task to do.

Kay

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 By: Calibre Designs Member since: Sep 12, 2007
  3. Guest

0 0
    I'd say at least £20k. The videos are a major part of that.

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  4. fenton

fenton Contributor

318 3
    I made him aware of this but he wants to offer it to his contacts for a fee and maybe the public free of charge to start.
    Do Autotrader do video.

Gary

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 By: fenton Member since: Aug 6, 2007
  5. tommy

tommy Contributor

705 27
    As far as I know Auto Trader dont do videos, but still to try and draw customers away from Auto Trader is a big task especially if the only difference is videos.

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 By: tommy Member since: Nov 21, 2003
  6. glencooley.com

glencooley.com Contributor

1,704 165
    Hi Gary

To be honest this is a fairly straight forward site to build and quite "2.0" with user submitted videos the functionality is actually very basic and using a skined FLV player to show uploaded videos is do-able.

With regards to AutoTrader although estabilished it isnt a company that does eveything perfectly, for example look at the 10's of thousands of classifieds on pistonheads.com.

The hotswap idea is similar to youtbe or facebook or pick anyone of the new social content driven sites.

If you want to talk about this further please drop me a message through my profile. I like the idea of this as I am a proper petrol head a la geek.

Thanks

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 By: glencooley.com Member since: Sep 12, 2007
  7. Guest

0 0
    I don't agree that this is straightforward, as half of the project is replicating Youtube's functionality.

For large files, standard browser uploading without a status bar just won't cut it. Once uploaded, you'll have to convert the videos to FLV, which likely means devising a queue system so as not to have the visitor waiting. There's a bit of time working out how to configure the server and choosing a video encoder.

You could consider sending your advertisers off to Youtube, but with Google about to start showing a 30-second advert at the beginning of each clip, that doesn't sound wise.

Anyway, I'll leave it there before I ramble all day, but I don't agree that it's straightforward.

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  8. dave_n

dave_n Contributor

2,859 275
    I'll do it for £19K in that case!!!!!

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 By: dave_n Member since: Oct 27, 2007
  9. sirearl

sirearl Contributor

29,742 6,639
    Hi Glen google lists 4,510 pages for the site .How are they generated?

Earl

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  10. stephendoyle

stephendoyle Contributor

657 41
    hi Gary,

i have a company that can do this website for a very competitive fee.

i work on the basis with all websites that you dont need to pay anything up front i work on monthly payments and a pay as you go system - the maximum i normally charge clients is £45 per month that includes unlimited changes, amendments, video, flash etc....

i can show you examples of our work.

i will speak to my technical team to determine whats needed and get back to you with a monthly price.

in the meantime you can drop me a pm or email.

kind regards
    Stephen Doyle

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 By: stephendoyle Member since: Mar 7, 2007
  11. Treble 2

Treble 2 Contributor

121 2
    ccuk-ltd.com

Have you got any video examples please?

glencooley.com

What kinda cars are you into ?

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 By: Treble 2 Member since: Jan 17, 2007
  12. pickaweb

pickaweb Contributor

518 43
    Pricing depends on the functionality of the website.
    You can start off a bit more basica and add features as you see that the business is working for you.
    That way you would be saving a lot of money.

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 By: pickaweb Member since: Oct 3, 2007
  13. fenton

fenton Contributor

318 3
    Thanks for all your replies on this. I have passed the info on to my friend. Im sure he will have this done.
    Why are people quoting me £15-£20k on this project. Where the hell are those figures coming from. My friend had a quote for £3000 local to him so so was expecting around this figure and the majority are thanks guys. I have said it would be best to have one of you guys carry out the work too and he is going to go through the quotes and contact soon.

Gary

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 By: fenton Member since: Aug 6, 2007
  14. glencooley.com

1,704 165
    The only video examples I have are for flash carousels that I have built for a couple of estate agents groups. But I could knock together a quick demo of dynamic video in flash/FLV.

Well cars are my passion, Right now I drive a mint classic 205 GTI (my third) I rolled an M3 in January which was none to clever and also had my CBR600RR stolen :( I love pretty much everything in EVO Mag from classic to contemporary :)

Thanks

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 By: glencooley.com Member since: Sep 12, 2007
  15. Treble 2

Treble 2 Contributor

121 2
    Rolled an M3, oh dear naughty. I guess you ran out of talent lol.

205 1.6 or 1.9? fun little cars to drive and they stole the CBR!.

You sound like a petrolhead too. lol good stuff mate.

Apologies, back to topic.

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 By: Treble 2 Member since: Jan 17, 2007
  16. glencooley.com

1,704 165
    1.6, which by current standards is slow..........i have had a clio 172 which faster never felt as tight as the 16 yo 205.

Yeah the M3 bit my ass quite frankly with power oversteer and the lsd not liking the damp or the hard accelerations.........ce la vie.

Yeah i love my cars try to get to as many race days as possible as i live centrally to a lot of circuits.

17. glencooley.com

1,704 165
    Hi Earl

Not a clue i am just a member of the site its all classic asp by the look if it though so will only present 1 parameterised url for each car i imagine

18. glencooley.com

1,704 165
    Hi Nathan

It really does depend on how you look at it. If the idea is to go web 2.0 tastic then yes you can make a simple thing hard, if you will support multiple formats and just embed the relevent object code then its not an issues or you can use one of the FLV conversion hosts out their and use their API to display the video.

This is actually something that i would look at and start as simply as possible and scale up as and when money/usage dictates. Its not something that requires over engineering from day one in my opinion but i guess thats for the client to decide ultimately.

http://www.flvhosting.com/index.php?ssp=8

Thanks

19. adamscomputers07

adamscomputers07 Contributor

291 12
    Hi, would they be new cars or used? my friend has a website from autotrader and sells his own cars using auto trader software to upload the details.

http://www.bexleycarsales.co.uk

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 By: adamscomputers07 Member since: Nov 18, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.